PDA

View Full Version : Sensei Challenge 4 - The Xmas 2006 Challenge

Sphynx
1st Dec 2006, 07:02
'Tis the season to get modelling....

HO HO HO members!

Welcome to the 2006 Christmas Challenge!

What we'd like you to do is come up with an image that portrays this festive holiday season from a Science Fiction perspective.

That's it. Nothing more complex than that. What we are looking for however, is not just originality but an image really portraying the essence of the event - and by original, we don't mean something as brutal as replacing the blades on a sleigh with a couple of nacelles... That will just get you an instant banning and possibly no presents from santa. (As he's a starwars fan, allegedly)

Perhaps you would like to take a traditional christmas scene and give it a Scifi twist; what would Christmas day be like in space, on an Alien world or your home in the future. Maybe your christmas presents have too much AI and demand a share of the Roast Turkey at gun point, or the goose is genetically engineered and grown in orbit to the size of a small moon... Perhaps Hoardes of Robotic snowmen are engaging the human race in a brutal war on some godforsaken snowy planetoid and your image could follow some sort of mail ship making a XMas present delivery to the front line.

Whatever you like, whatever christmas means to you (Within the sites TOS of course) the potential ideas are endless... Just give us the essense of Christmas combined with whatever scifi themes you choose.

The scene should be original and while we'd like you to use your own designs, we will allow the use of existing genres - just make sure that the genre and event makes sense. Having the Emperor and Vader sharing egg-nog in a classic XMas scene is probably not the best way to go. What we don't want you to do is use an existing mesh or scene and just add some elements to make it "XMassy".

Because we're running this over the holiday period, we know that some of you will be smashed out of your brains from turkey stuffing overdoses and too much Klingon mulled blood wine. So, we are going to give you a little more time on this one (err, mainly so we can get over our hangovers). From today, you have until January 5th - the first Friday in 2007 to come up with your final entry.

A tip:

Having too much leeway can be a curse as well as a blessing - make sure you really form your idea up before you start your work!

The Rules:

You can enter as much or as little in your scene as you like, as either a 2D or 3D entry. Just remember that those entering full scenes will probably be able to get the idea of XMas across better that a simple mesh on a plain background.

You can use Christmas itself or a similar event of equal significance and festivity and be of a current or future, real or imaginary, human or alien theme. It must however, be recognisable as this type of event and put across the right atmosphere.

If you go the warfare route, make it humorous, not serious - that's not the focus of the challenge (besides, blood is a bitch to clean off fresh snow).

Your final submission must be no more than 800x600 but it may be oriented in either Landscape or portrait.

You will post a WIP in the Challenge forum (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/), you must show progress on your model / scene / artwork before you submit your final entry, this, among other things, will allow us to make sure everyone is within the rules. For the naming convention, use XMAS2006 - name - scene name (if you have a scene name - you don't have to).

Prizes:

As well as the normal Sensei medals, Sphynx's company is getting into the festive spirit as well and offering small cash prize as well to the value of £50 for the winner, and £30 for the second place entry and £20 for the third (you must have a PayPal account to receive this money).

1st place: SFM Sensei Gold medal displayed under the winners avatar + your artwork shown on the SFM Header + £50 cash prize.
2st place: SFM Sensei Silver medal displayed under the winners avatar + £30 cash prize.
3st place: SFM Sensei Bronze medal displayed under the winners avatar + £20 cash prize.

Most Honourable Member: Green Sensei Medal displayed under the winners avatar, awarded to the most helpful and contructive member in the challenge.

If you have any questions then please ask them in this thread, otherwise:

Good luck to everyone!

Tinukedaya
1st Dec 2006, 08:01
Whoa. looks like I returned from my other work to just the right time. another challenge just starting... Hmm. Too bad I only have a little time before xmas... Somehow everybody want something to buy... not sure why.

uhm... anyhway. nice theme... have to think about something. And well I guess I have one or two ideas. <winks> Lets just hope I can free up some time. It's over a month so I guess I can manage something.

Cheers and good luck to all of you.

Concade
1st Dec 2006, 08:03
This sounds like fun. Nothing like doing a little cheerful modeling to get into the holiday mood. Cheers all!

Berticus
1st Dec 2006, 08:22
I like the demand of food at gunpoint... It reminds me of when I used to- nvm.

I got ideas aflowin already, though its about 2am here, so I'll start tomarrow.
-albert

Tovette
1st Dec 2006, 09:17
Just out of curiosity, what about a fantasy scene. I know it's SCI-FI meshes but can fantasy get a little love? Just wondering where my limits are...

Stev0
1st Dec 2006, 12:47
Just out of curiosity, what about a fantasy scene. I know it's SCI-FI meshes but can fantasy get a little love? Just wondering where my limits are...

Why am I picturing santa's elves coming to assist the defence of Helm's Deep? :D

farcry
1st Dec 2006, 16:16
Cool, this sounds quite challenging. Gonna spend a few days knocking some ideas around, can't wait to begin! :D

Flyingmonkey
1st Dec 2006, 21:44
It will be interesting to see how twice the time will affect the entries. I know I'm going to spend a lot more time thinking about it!

Tovette
1st Dec 2006, 22:14
Yeah, I don't really have a good idea yet... :(

demented
2nd Dec 2006, 01:26
I was thinking.... maybe a robot rudolf.....with guns, yeh lots of guns pulling a cargoship full of pressies

DarthMaya
2nd Dec 2006, 01:26
I have an idea, I made it already :p. But I am not entering this time.

Have fun guys!

Berticus
2nd Dec 2006, 20:59
Why hasn't this been put on the header like the last one?
-albert

Sphynx
2nd Dec 2006, 21:13
Workload - It'll probably be up tomorrow.

aszazeroth
3rd Dec 2006, 14:42
Where do I put my WIP thread ?!

Straight in the CH-forum root or in a sub-forum ?!

Sphynx
3rd Dec 2006, 15:49
Yeah, you hit the right place with your thread.

At present, all threads should go into the Challenge forum root directory. We'll be adding sub-forums / archives as required, so in theory the root should always be for the 'current' challenge of the moment.

evil_genius_180
4th Dec 2006, 05:24
He already snuffed out my idea of Palpatine and Vader sharing a holiday nog. Now I gotta come up with something else. :devil:

Freak
4th Dec 2006, 11:05
Looks like I am doing this in 2d, I have a great Idea.

jay-mo
4th Dec 2006, 16:39

I would love to do a fantasy scene too. Any word on this?

Sphynx
4th Dec 2006, 17:25
Yep - no reason why not - we talk about LOTR et al here on SFM, so I don't see that we can't allow this fantasy in the competition.

Just make sure that it is fantasy, and does not just look oldy-worldy Xmas or middle-ages.

Enigma X
6th Dec 2006, 00:14
hmmm....
A space marine giving out presents to the little villagers....in a santa hat.

hmmm....perplexing this is.....perplexing indeed.

homerpalooza67
7th Dec 2006, 16:28
are Hanukkah scenes allowed?

Dimzy Doodle
12th Dec 2006, 20:28
Santa Cornered By Aliens, Fighting Them Off With A Candy Cane.

Sphynx
2nd Jan 2007, 10:17
Well - I'm back in the country and looking for some good images from this one.

We're into the countdown phase now - this Friday is the final date for entries, so get rendering guys!

Sphynx
4th Jan 2007, 10:12
There are some great challenge entries under way, and while some need a little 'spicing up' to make them more XMassy, the work has been really quality. Great work guys.

Unfortunately however - and I hate to say this...

There's only one more full day left of the challenge!

I'm going to open up a thread for everyone to post their final image in the next few hours. It will be open until my first log-on on Saturday morning, so anyone wishing to enter has the whole of what most people could call 'Friday' to post their entry. After that...no more leeway I'm afraid!

Sphynx
5th Jan 2007, 21:32
Not much time left guys - when I log on tomorrow morning, the posting thread gets closed, which means you've got about 10 hrs from the timestamp on this post.

Nighty-night :D

Ramiel
6th Jan 2007, 02:27
...And good luck to everyone!;)

treleth
6th Jan 2007, 02:33
Yep, good luck, rendering now, hopefully I'll make it on time...

captainkirk
6th Jan 2007, 03:34
Sphynx must sleep late, it's Saturday for me.

Sphynx
6th Jan 2007, 09:31
Actually, things have happened this morning that mean I'm not going to be around for a few hours (namely a missing college assignment that drops me right in it if I can't find it). I'm not going to close the thread until mid-afternoon now, purely because of circumstance.

It's probably best however, as I can see that there are a few people with WIP's who have not actually logged in yet this morning. As we're talking a small cash prize as well, I'll let a few others add their entries before I close up.

We won't actually start the judging process until tomorrow anyway.

Sphynx
6th Jan 2007, 13:46
Well, that's it guys - the posting thread is now closed, and we start judging in the next few days. Don't expect any true results for about 7 days however, as I'd like as many judges to have the oppotunity to vote, and we don't all login each day.

Good luck to everyone who entered a final piece.

Tinukedaya
6th Jan 2007, 15:20
Good luck to all who made it. Too bad Enterpise-E didn't and the many many other neither. There were some really promising entries.

farcry
6th Jan 2007, 15:43
Good luck guys :)

Yea, it would of been cool if the others could of made it in time, there was some really great stuff going on in the WIP forum.

Sphynx
7th Jan 2007, 08:10
Because of the confusion that at least one member has pointed out between the two contests that are currently running, I've decided to re-open the thread to allow entries to be posted.

The thread will close again however, first thing in the morning, so anyone in the same position, get the entry in quickly.

Sphynx
8th Jan 2007, 07:20
Posting thread now closed.

hal
8th Jan 2007, 12:01
Good look to all!

cirus5555
8th Jan 2007, 15:37
luck

treleth
11th Jan 2007, 20:15
Yep, good luck, and msot importantly, hope you all had fun :)

captainkirk
14th Jan 2007, 12:42
Is the judging done yet?

Sphynx
14th Jan 2007, 18:26
Very nearly.

Sphynx
15th Jan 2007, 07:42
Right - the results are out. See the relevant news item on the main page: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/sfm-news/16145-xmas-2006-sensei-challenge-results.html

Tinukedaya
15th Jan 2007, 13:49
Cheers folks! Grats all it was very nice entries! I'm not surpriced the judges had troubles. The more I'm happy about my second place!

I really love those challenges, as they make me actually finish (or almost finish) the project. Normally I only have tons of WIPs in pre-start stage.

Once again grats and cheers!

Freak
15th Jan 2007, 13:59
congrats to everyone. EnterpriseE, your pic was mind blowing.
Tinukedaya, I have to say, Loved your idea of the space Coke turk.
congrats Bag1 & Farcry.

hal
16th Jan 2007, 11:38
well done folks!

farcry
16th Jan 2007, 14:18
I really love those challenges, as they make me actually finish (or almost finish) the project. Normally I only have tons of WIPs in pre-start stage.

Exactly the same situation here :lol:

Well done to everyone who entered, and congrats to the winners :thumb:

Bag1
16th Jan 2007, 20:44
It is an honor to be hanging out with all you GREAT artist. All the entries are fantastic.This was so fun. I had a late entry and was also working on the Meshies award thing. I chose to spend my time on the Christmas Discovery. (Thinking I may complete one of those projects.) I am new here and am very thankful I found Scifi-meshes. I am working with Daz/Bryce mostly. I picked up on the free Bryce back in Sept. 2006. I am getting used to the tools and all the fancy technical 3D vocabulary. I have started a short animation and I have a few new WIPs. I will post them soon. I hope to learn and share lots of fun stuff with you folks. Big congratz! to all. You folks do some wonderful art.
I will PM Admins as soon as I have set up my paypal account.
This is so FUN!

captainkirk
20th Jan 2007, 05:53
Congratulations, Enterprise-E! At first I thought your entry had nothing to do with Christmas, but in the last image you posted it looked really good, if only I had a spaceship as a present. BTW, whens the next contest?