PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Sensei Challenge #6

Sphynx
15th Jun 2007, 08:49
The Sensei team are please to announce Sensei Challenge #6...

“The Chair”

Welcome to the start of the new sensei challenge. This challenge is all about command...or at least, somewhere from which you can sit down and shout orders very, very loud...

What we want to see

This challenge is all about chairs in use to 'command' or 'control' something – whether that's the command chair of a huge starship, the gunnery chair of an defence post, the virtual reality console of a gridder, pilots chair of a fighter cockpit...well, you get the idea.

We are not going to be restricting you to genres here – if you fancy doing the command chair of a Trek ship, or the pilots chair of a rebel star fighter, we are not going to stop you. As always however, originality impresses us far, far more.

We will be evaluating the entries on a range of things - originality, concept (2D and 3D), progress towards your goal, modeling (3D), texturing (3D) and final rendering (2D and 3D).

What we don't want to see

While we may go there in the future, this challenge is not about furniture. Stay away from the everyday things, and concentrate on the command or control element.

We don't want you to reproduce something that already exists. Don't give us an exact match of Picard's chair from the Enterprise, impress us – give us your own interpretation.

We don't need to see the environment in which it sits. If you are doing Trek, we don't need the whole bridge; If you are doing a pilots chair, we don't need the entire cockpit. It would be nice to see the context, but keep your focus – the chair is the important part of the challenge, and that's what you'll be judged on.

Sensei's Tips

The Sensei Team is here for a reason - namely to help YOU become as good as we can get you to be in the digital graphics world. We can't help you however, unless you help us. We can't pick comments out of the air if we don't know where you are having problems.

Starting in this Challenge therefore, we want you to approach you work methodically. Give us your sketches that didn't work out; give us your concept drawings that you think will work and show us how you are progressing towards your goal. The more that you show us, the more we and the rest of the community can comment on.

To this end, a requirement of this challenge is that at the very least we want to see one concept sketch that you've made that has set you on your final path. Remember however, that we are looking for a concept sketch - no matter how rough - and not a work of art in itself.

Also, if you've used a special technique or a feature of your software that you have never touched before, tell us in your thread - we and the rest of the membership want to know how you have progressed along your design route and in your personal skills.

Challenge Duration

You have TWO weeks from today, June 15th 2007 to come up with your final entry. The challenge will close midnight June 29th.

The Rules:

You can enter either a rendering of a 3D model, or a 2D concept piece. The same rules on context apply equally.

Your final submission must be no more than 800x600 but it may be oriented in either Landscape or portrait.

You will post a WIP in the Challenge forum, you must show progress on your model before you submit your final entry, this, among other things, will allow us to make sure everyone is within the rules.

As usual, name your thread in the challange wip forum in the format:

Challenge #6 – MemberName – Title (if appropriate)

Prizes:

1st place - SFM Sensei Gold medal displayed under the winners avatar, your artwork shown on the SFM Header, and US$50 courtesy of Aceman.
2st place - SFM Sensei Silver medal displayed under the winners avatar.
3st place - SFM Sensei Bronze medal displayed under the winners avatar.

Most Honourable Member - Green Sensei Medal displayed under the winners avatar, awarded to the most helpful and contructive member in the challenge.

Aceman's Special Prize - This challenge sees a new prize that sits outside the usual placement. Courtesy of Aceman, this time around we'll be awarding a US$50 prize to the most improved member of the community who submits an entry to the challenge. Remember, that this is external to the usual places - this prize is an improvement award, not a winning award (meaning that you can't win and receive the most improved award).

You don't need to be a grand-master to win this award - what you need to show is improvement.

In the sprit of competition and dissemination of skills throughout the community, all members of SFM (inc. Moderators, Senseis and Admins) may create WIPs. As usual however, Senseis and Admin are NOT permitted to enter their final design at the end of the challenge and can therefore not win any prize.

If you have any questions then please ask them in this thread, otherwise:

Good luck to everyone!

-SFM Sensei.

BorgMan
15th Jun 2007, 09:14
A chair...

Right. Maybe I'll kick in too. Depends on how much time I have...

DarthMaya
15th Jun 2007, 09:18
Cool, this should be really fun. I guess I will have to take some time off and see what I come up with......unless jay-mo enters....he always makes amazing/unbeatable stuff....:D

Maybe I can just show the most improvement! :D

lennier1
15th Jun 2007, 12:10
In the sprit of competition and dissemination of skills throught the community, all members of SFM (inc. Moderators, Senseis and Admins) may create WIPs. As usually however, Senseis and Admin are NOT permitted to enter their final design at the end of the challenge and can therefore not win any prize.
...Translation: While Steve is allowed to take part in the challenge the rest of the community still has a chance of winning 1st place. :D

PS: Don´t forget to move the entries from the last challenge into a separate subforum. ;)

gonk droid
15th Jun 2007, 12:11
the chair. i like it.

simple idea but hard to think of a winner.

Sphynx
15th Jun 2007, 12:28
PS: Donīt forget to move the entries from the last challenge into a separate subforum. ;)

That request has already been made - I think those in appropriate power are a bit busy at present. :D

JDR
15th Jun 2007, 13:17
There, all done. :D

Nah, seriously, this is a cool challenge, and I'd enter if only I wasn't totally snowed under with work atm.

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 13:20
800x600 could be an interesting limit for people going for multi-functional/positional chairs if you really want to show off its full range of motions, but I guess some nifty compositing would work within those limits...

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 13:47
La Chaise . . . .
awesom I am all over it . . . . I am thinking opperational controls like "The It" . . . :lol: ..... JK
gp

hal
15th Jun 2007, 15:09
As I'm about to depart to the airport for my long flight back to the UK. I start thinking about those those god awful airplane chairs I'm going to have to sit in!!!

I'm in, good luck everybody!

TheGreatRaja
15th Jun 2007, 16:09
I take it everything has to be build during the 2 weeks, we can't use something we've had laying around eh

farcry
15th Jun 2007, 16:12
^ I think that's how the rules are usually. No pre-made stuff.

I'm in :) starting some sketches now.

Sphynx
15th Jun 2007, 16:20
s'right - nothing pre-built. This is as much about the process as it is about the final result.

TheGreatRaja
15th Jun 2007, 16:23
yeah, I figured as much.:( I'll just have to redesign it eh

Dimitriy
15th Jun 2007, 16:55
Why, why am I in the middle of exams?

Tikey
15th Jun 2007, 18:51
I think I'll jump in. This is mostly my area of expertise after all :P
As soon as I have some free time I'll post some drawings.

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 19:28
Are you a professional chair designer? :)

Tikey
15th Jun 2007, 19:32
Not, but I'm a Industrial Design student (area of expertise might have been a little bit exaggerated :P )

lennier1
15th Jun 2007, 19:51
I won´t have time to take part which is kinda sad since this is actually along the lines of a concept I wanted to do for a long time. Basically something with the freedom of movement the gunner section in "The Last Starfighter" had but mounted on a pole hanging from the top and packed with all kinds of gizmos and whatnots like those control chairs the navigators in "Moon 44" used.

Infinity238
15th Jun 2007, 20:24
This sounds like fun, I've kinda been waiting for a new challenge I could get in on.

efritsch
15th Jun 2007, 22:36
but mounted on a pole hanging from the top and packed with all kinds of gizmos and whatnots like those control chairs the navigators in "Moon 44" used.

Also see the Captains Chair of the "Lewis & Clark" from the movie Event Horizon. It was hung from the ceiling and swivelled about and had all sorts of buttons and switches.

I think I may enter this one. My MK II Battlecruiser could use a command chair.

Ozylot
15th Jun 2007, 22:58
No scanner... guess Im out. :(

Good luck everyone! :thumb:

lennier1
15th Jun 2007, 23:00
Also see the Captains Chair of the "Lewis & Clark" from the movie Event Horizon. It was hung from the ceiling and swivelled about and had all sorts of buttons and switches.

I think I may enter this one. My MK II Battlecruiser could use a command chair.Good idea and Iīd actually integrate a set of interlinked rings like the Event Horizonīs reactor had due to the ulterior motive. Something like this would be a much better alternative to the "KungFu weapons control" they had in the "Legend Of The Rangers" pilot. :D

JeffrySG
15th Jun 2007, 23:40
No scanner... guess Im out. :(

Good luck everyone! :thumb:
If you're sketching it, you could shoot it with a digital camera if you don't have a scanner?

why not do this one in 3d Ozylot?

Road Warrior
16th Jun 2007, 01:15
I quess Im with Ozylot. My scanner died so Im out too.

TheGreatRaja
16th Jun 2007, 01:28
I was so hoping that you wouldn't need the sketch, because I don't have a scanner or a digital Camera at this time.
If we do... I'm SOL as well

Flyingmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 01:33
can't we just sketch in paint or something?

JeffrySG
16th Jun 2007, 01:44
I can't imagine there being a restriction on where you would need to sketch. Also, I would think that most people would possibly know someone who could either scan it for you or shoot it with their digital camera to digitize the sketch, if you were to do it by hand. Just some ideas... I, personally, wouldn't want to see anyone excluded just because they didn't have access to a scanner.

TheGreatRaja
16th Jun 2007, 01:47
this seems pretty Clear

"To this end, a requirement of this challenge is that at the very least we want to see one concept sketch that you've made that has set you on your final path"

Ozylot
16th Jun 2007, 02:29
Well, most of the time, I 'sketch' a build by actually making the shape of it. That base shape often ends up becoming part of the actual model. Other times however I will redo it to get a better poly flow.

TheGreatRaja
16th Jun 2007, 02:39
I hear ya Ozylot, I almost never make sketches of anything I build

Sphynx
16th Jun 2007, 08:01
Guys, remember a 'sketch' can be many things - it's all about the concept. What we want to see is the fact that you thought about ways forward, and did not just jump into the deepend wearing lead-boots.

As every pro. on site will tell you - doing that just gets you down a potentially dead end very fast.

Do something quick in paint or Gimp to give people an idea of where you are going (there are plenty of 2D artists onsite who never go near a pencil - they do it all digitally); or if that's too much of a problem for you, do the same as has already happened in this competition - do some very, very basic clay-grey prototyping in 3D. I know some people have problems sketching with a mouse, but remember - it can look like spider did it wearing muddy boots - the sketch is for concept, it does not count towards a winning entry.

If anyone is sill in doubt, see later today - I'll be posting my own concept stuff (naturally not competing), and I'll be doing all of that work in Painter. The only scanner I have around is an old one that only has Win95 drivers, so I'm pretty much (for these purposes) in the same situation as you.

Don't let the lack of a scanner stop you from participating. :thumb:

[edit] OK, things overtook me and I never managed to get them up today...but hopefully in the next few days.

Tinukedaya
16th Jun 2007, 19:13
hehe. I do not have time to do this. but I got an idea while reading through the theme. I may give it a shot, even if it'll end up only in the sketch phase. I just have to try how it'll look. hehe

Adamastor
17th Jun 2007, 11:32
thats just my luck.. in the middle of exams and just after my pc goes up in flames (im on campus right now) :(
ill see if i can get a sketch online. ive got a nice idea but these 2 weeks are a bit tight for me

Arden
17th Jun 2007, 13:23
hmm, so a render of an untextured model is all you need right?
(i still can't do textures, the shame)
plus some concept art

hmm, ok, count me in

Sphynx
17th Jun 2007, 13:37
Strictly speaking no, it would be nice to see it textures, but don't be put off by that.

Just choosing suitable base colours works wonders - I like doing clay-grey pieces as it brings out detail and really only do texturing when I have too or when its for commercial pieces.

If you don't feel that you are up to texturing, change pieces of your mesh to slightly different colours and get some nice lighting. I've got some great chairs in my collection of SF 'board-room' furniture totally built from plain cream and beige base colours.

The one thing to remember is that we are looking for you to stretch yourself, not just do what is comfortable. Even if it does not come out 100%, we are looking for all of that. We are senseis running a challenge, not Admins running a competition - in our books, expanding your horizons wins you points.

Arden
17th Jun 2007, 13:50
ok roger that, i'll give it a try (and look for some help on the forums)
and if nothing else works, i'll just edit the base colours for a better effect (since my design is going to be quite modest with the colours, it'll be no problem)

Stevio
17th Jun 2007, 19:20
Just choosing suitable base colours works wonders -

forgive my stupidness
by base colours do you mean base coloured textures, or the base coloured materials from within the 3d app?

i am guessing the former? :confused:

Sphynx
17th Jun 2007, 20:21
Just the colour of the objects, without anything else applied. Most applications will allow you to change the colours of the objects themselves without the need to apply textures or maps.

Stevio
17th Jun 2007, 20:24
ok thanks sphynx :thumb:

cirus5555
18th Jun 2007, 12:31
well im here in oz having a had time working and not seeing any sun had a few seconds spare to check out what the challenge is really like this one hope I get time to work on one good luck to every one and speak again soon

seanr
18th Jun 2007, 21:41
Yall are lucky you caught me now and not a few months from now. LOL. I may still try to enter, but free time is a rarity for me these days. Maybe I'll just go for the Miss Congeniality award this time. :lol:

Enigma X
19th Jun 2007, 07:40
OOOOoooo, i need to start coming back more often....
Me too.

Sphynx
19th Jun 2007, 13:12
Little apology to make guys - Life is really busy for me at present for lots of reasons, so while I've been dropping in to everyone's threads to watch your progress, I've not been commenting at all.

Hopefully that will change in the next few days - In the meantime, I'm sure that the other senseis are doing a good job keeping everything in hand. :thumb:

Daemoria
19th Jun 2007, 14:12
Well, i'm a little bit late in seeing this (I don't sign on every day) but I think I'm going to join up as well. It certainly sounds interesting enough.

spudmonkey
20th Jun 2007, 12:46
Sorry if this has been covered, but how do you submit your final entries? Will a submission thread be enabled or will the judges just simply trawl the existing threads?

Sphynx
20th Jun 2007, 14:00
As is usual on the challenges, a thread will be opened a few days before the end date. Everybody who wishes to enter their final renders will post the image into that thread.

It makes it much, much easier to judge rather than all of us Senseis having to go through loads of different and maybe not even find the correct image to judge anyway... :D

spudmonkey
20th Jun 2007, 14:11
presumably you will want both the final image and the sketch/concept this time as it's a prereq?

Sphynx
20th Jun 2007, 15:32
Chances are final image only - but watch for the information when the thread is opened. There is plenty of time yet for different decisions.

Zabiegly
22nd Jun 2007, 13:32
Halftime boys and girls!

Sphynx
22nd Jun 2007, 16:47
Time for orange slices...! *slurp*

JeffrySG
22nd Jun 2007, 17:52
Halftime boys and girls!

for some reason I kept on thinking that this was the last week... whew... that's good... I can try to finish this dam model and start texturing and lighting it!!!

more orange slices please! :p

Zabiegly
23rd Jun 2007, 13:58
There you go (http://www.zabiegly.de/orange)

cirus5555
26th Jun 2007, 11:08
just got back from Oz am so tired jet lagged 26 hours traveling back in the office till 6pm to night ho bed till then and here you all are cooking up some really cool chairs (good times) I really wish they where real as what I sit on in this office isnt very cunfy specialy after althat fling good luck to every one

Zabiegly
27th Jun 2007, 12:38
The submission thread is now open. (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html)

biotech
27th Jun 2007, 14:36
Shouldnt there only be one chair per person?

citizen
27th Jun 2007, 17:15
I'm thinking about the final submission, as I'm creating a chair for an alien, would it be acceptable to submit two images, one showing the chair vacant and one with the Alien?

Viper
27th Jun 2007, 18:47
Bleh, ended up having zero time for this...maybe next time :)

TheGreatRaja
27th Jun 2007, 18:58
I'm still trying to figure out why they want a 800x600 render :)

biotech
27th Jun 2007, 19:15
So it wont stretch the page?

So those who can do 1000000 x 750000 renders wont have an unfair advantage?

TheGreatRaja
27th Jun 2007, 19:22
I understand that but what 1024 x 768 or something like that that can show the details

biotech
27th Jun 2007, 20:34
Its a chair, if you cant show the details in 800x600 you must be modelling atoms.

Viper
27th Jun 2007, 20:58
I could be wrong, but I think it is because 800x600 is an achievable resolution by everyone here on the forum. Perhaps this challenge isn't so demanding, but on another one where there might be need for more lighting stuff or a higher polygon count, render times could sky rocket pretty easily if the res is big.

spudmonkey
27th Jun 2007, 22:39
800x600 should be more than fine. The "contest" is about the design of the chair and not about the detail level of the model. It means you have the chance for a one off shot of the model from its best angle and you don't have to have everything modeled to the highest possible detail level. Form and function over attention to intricate detail in other words

Ronin
28th Jun 2007, 14:00
just a bit stuck in timezones,

End is at 7 o'clock in the morning of the 30th (GMT+1)

or 7 o'clock, morning, 29th ?

sorry ^^

spudmonkey
28th Jun 2007, 14:02
The US is behind UK time, so midnight US would be between 5 and 8am the next day UK time depending on where in the US

Sphynx
28th Jun 2007, 15:33
Well, Actually we are going to go by UK time on this one - simply because the challenge started on the morning of Friday 15th. As a result, by the time midnight GMT hits, you'll all have had something like 14 days and 15 hours...

However, saying that, anything in by the time I close the submission thread on Saturday morning will be accepted - this is just a challenge. We're not wearing jackboots :D

spudmonkey
28th Jun 2007, 15:43
We're not wearing jackboots :D

We're not?! Damn... *removes boots*

Sphynx
29th Jun 2007, 08:33
Less than 24 hours to go people - my first act tomorrow morning will be closing the submissions thread.

Make sure that you all have your final pieces in soon, regardless of their state, or we can't include you in the judging! :thumb:

Sphynx
30th Jun 2007, 09:45
Well...what can we say. Really guys, you've taken this one to heart - this is all about what the Sensei challenges are all about.

I don't think that I am wrong in saying that from our mission statement, this is probably the most successful challenge that we've had yet. We've had some great artwork produced, some wonderful collaberation between people, and most importantly from the submission statements that you've been making its clear that all you've all learned something from the experience.

Mesh-modeling is one thing, but aiming for a goal is something that always spurs the creative spirit gives an incentive to learn new skills.

I also don't think that I'm wrong however, in saying that with the great images submitted this time we (the Senseis) are going to have a hard time selecting winners. Be patient, and we'll try and get the winners out to you within the next seven days.

Well done to everyone - the enterants, and those who did not quite complete their WIPS.

JeffrySG
1st Jul 2007, 17:11
Cheers Sphynx! and a big thanks to all the Sensei's and Staff that helped put this challenge together! Looking forward to the results - and the next challenge.

Also, if you didn't finish before the challenge, doesn't mean you can't still finish up your design and share it with everyone to see...

spudmonkey
1st Jul 2007, 18:46
Great work everyone. There's a really wide range of styles all of which are really well made, so I really don't envy the judges task

TheGreatRaja
1st Jul 2007, 18:56
speaking of which, when will the judging be final?

Zabiegly
1st Jul 2007, 19:02
speaking of which, when will the judging be final?

We are aiming for a voting period of about a week. It's holiday season and a lot of Senseis left leave of absence notes so we thought we'd make the voting a bit longer to give everyone a chance to vote (as that also makes the voting more fair).

Excepct the results somewhen around next weekend.

EBOLII
2nd Jul 2007, 04:10
were is the vote thread?

lennier1
2nd Jul 2007, 04:44
were is the vote thread?Probably in the staff section where it belongs.

Zabiegly
2nd Jul 2007, 09:14
were is the vote thread?

In the super-secret Sensei area that has leather couches, free cocktails, huge Plasma-TVs and a collection of all the porn that was ever made. Unfortunately we have to give a drop of our blood everytime we want to enter and it runs a full DNA screen. We also have to leave one of your kidneys as deposit when we enter in case something should be damaged during one of the wild parties that are held there.

JeffrySG
2nd Jul 2007, 14:43
In the super-secret Sensei area that has leather couches, free cocktails, huge Plasma-TVs and a collection of all the porn that was ever made. Unfortunately we have to give a drop of our blood everytime we want to enter and it runs a full DNA screen. We also have to leave one of your kidneys as deposit when we enter in case something should be damaged during one of the wild parties that are held there.

^Wow!! I heard about the DNA screening but never knew about all the huge plasma!!! :D

Firelode
2nd Jul 2007, 14:55
I don't care what's in that room, ain't no way I'm leaving a kidney behind. :p

Sphynx
2nd Jul 2007, 15:13
It ain't so bad - it's a checking system. As long as you keep your ticket, your get it back on the way out. :D

Kadaeux
3rd Jul 2007, 11:06
It ain't so bad - it's a checking system. As long as you keep your ticket, your get it back on the way out. :D

I somewhat question the condition on which its received back... How do you know Aceman isn't renting them out to Hobo's while your in eh?

citizen
4th Jul 2007, 19:01
I somewhat question the condition on which its received back... How do you know Aceman isn't renting them out to Hobo's while your in eh?Imagine what this sounded like when you jump to the end of the thread and don't know what they're talking about.

Tinukedaya
4th Jul 2007, 19:59
Some really great stuff in there... I really wasn't able to finish mine into an useable state. But I still intend to finish it... Sometime... If I get the opportunity :D And If I get to my PC... doing graphic on notebook aint that good.

L2K
5th Jul 2007, 13:59
I used my laptop.
for over 2 years now. to work for school, work for work and work for myself.
even to play with (unreal, HL², neverwinter nights, titan quest, black and white)
and I never formated it and reinstalled the system. (my windows is 2,5 years old. I broke my dvd drive so i cant reinstall. and i never could figure out how to open it.)
doing graphics on a laptop is good i say :p

Darkstone
6th Jul 2007, 09:33
Doesn't matter what you're using as long as you know how to do it.

;)

Tinukedaya
6th Jul 2007, 11:21
well sure you can use almost anything.. there is always problem with ones patience though... if you have to wait all the time it just isn't fun anymore. :D And yeh, I use it for work, playing and even graphics as well. Only thing I'm saying is that it isn't anything close to optimum. :D

well I still have close to no time anyway. hehe.

Sphynx
6th Jul 2007, 15:15
The winners announcements have been slightly delayed.

All of the votes are in for the time permitted and have been calculated and yet again I've had to use a weighed points system to a find the placements. It's been very close again, and nobody who entered should feel disappointed if their name does not appear in the prize list.

I'm not going to announce yet however, as I've one small point to clarify. Hopefully we'll post the winners in the next few hours or, if not, first thing in the morning.