PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - gpdesigner - The Chair

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 17:00
Two designs came to mind . . . .
The Chair being able to control a multitude of things should be vast or at least have a lot of gadgets.

First concept is an industrial one . . . trussing and cables . .
The first image is wip no doubt . . . still have a lot more to do for a visual.

http://images.graphicproduction.org/forum_images/random/sketch1.jpg

Second concept is . . . well I have an egg shape in mind . .
I will have to sus that out more and will post a sketch when I have it.

gp

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 17:03
I'm sorry, I can't seem to understand your sketch. No doubt that this is my oafishness kicking in again :)

Is there a chair in it or is it just the controll panels? Looks a bit like a really cool home-cinema setup with those speakers on top of the center screen :D

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 17:07
no problem . . Thats my fault, my sketches are very vague . . I tend to dwell on the edge of scatterbrained . . .
Sorry no chair yet . . just control pannels and screens
gp

Melak
15th Jun 2007, 17:17
Trussing and cables are cool, go for that! :)
Just don't overdo it like this guy :D

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 17:37
Trussing and cables are cool, go for that! :)
Just don't overdo it like this guy :D

. . . . :lol: no . . don't think I will follow in Jacksons footsteps but
I may come close

Zabiegly this is about as close to a recognizable sketch as I can come I'm afraid . . hope this will do.

gp

http://images.graphicproduction.org/forum_images/random/sketch1001.jpg

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 18:47
ok . . second concept the EGG
I think I am going to go with this one. I hope the sketch is enough . .
'cause it's off to lightwave now . .
gp

Larsen
15th Jun 2007, 18:52
Nice concepts man... I like the EGG chair very much... looking forward to seeing this develop!

Good luck!

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 18:55
That is fine, your first one too. I was just looking for a chair in your 1st one and couldn't find one :D

A lie-down chair always appeals to me. Seems that I'm a person who likes to lie down ;) But as the screens are over the chair the person in it would have to keep his arms up for a quite long time (8 hours shift?). So you might want to think about adding a support for the arms so that you can actually work on those screens.

I like the industrial look of the stuts supporting the screens.

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 19:00
Thanks Larsen, I think the egg has potential.

That is fine, your first one too. I was just looking for a chair in your 1st one and couldn't find one :D

no problems . . .

So you might want to think about adding a support for the arms so that you can actually work on those screens.

I like the industrial look of the stuts supporting the screens.

Thanks . . I thought about the arms as well it was almost like the shuttle pilots at liftoff, all the controlls are over head.
In the egg design I dropped the screens and leveled the controls a bit.

I think I am going with the egg . . . the possiblities for a good back story are awesome . .
gp

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 19:14
But make sure there is nothing inside the egg (http://www.zabiegly.de/en/gallery/alienegg.htm) when you turn it into a chair :D

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 11:02
Well of course the operator should be inside! :)

Looks promising, you just need to pin down what it is you want, conceptually! :) I think that the only problem with those egg style designs is that sometimes they are a little bit... enveloping.. Several TV shows have made fun of that problem (Ugly Betty springs to mind immediately hehe). On the other side, if this is a chair for a high speed spacecraft, then gell-cushion style sides and back would help alot with acceleration and impacts and such. Perhaps you could even have a drop down cover, so the user is completely encased, for some sort of hybernation sleep?

The structural design has a lot of promise for greebly goodness, though by wrote of it's design it implies a 'sky hook' without some sort of set to go with it. While of course that's not mandated in the brief it's certainly something that would be need to be thought about!

BEMEUP
16th Jun 2007, 13:20
Can't wait to see it, looks like a very cool concept! I could almost see it as a gunner pod with a giant ray beam emitter coming out the front...

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 19:31
finished putting the shell together and making the support for the screens and the controls. Now I am off to the stand for the chair and the chait itself

The concept for this unit is; operational control center for environmental and life support systems aboard some ship orbiting some terraformed planet.
The chair and unit would be suspended in a dome cavern (Cerebro) type room.
gp

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 19:49
Nice 60's retro feel to it so far. Are you going to unwrap and texture or use procedurals? It should be easy enough to break apart with a couple of spherical maps if you want to go that one step further

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 20:56
Nice 60's retro feel to it so far. Are you going to unwrap and texture or use procedurals? It should be easy enough to break apart with a couple of spherical maps if you want to go that one step further

You know . . I hadn't really thought about it yet. cool idea, never really wrapped a model before, I don't know if this is the right venue for that just yet. I would need like a lightwave tute or something.
gp

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 20:57
Uh, very nice. The only thing that strikes me as not quite fitting is the flat planes as screens (I know that they are only temorary but still). Maybe some of those look-into-thingies like Uhura had would fit well with the shape. Having the screen inside the round extruded parts to integrate them more.

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 20:58
never really wrapped a model before, I don't know if this is the right venue for that just yet.

There's always the most-improved $50 prize waiting to be received by someone :D

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 21:02
Maybe some of those look-into-thingies like Uhura had would fit well with the shape.
Zabiegly . . dude that is a schweet idea . . maybe one or two of those puppies would fit nicely . .
I pulled back the extruded parts for now . . gonna wait for those until I plop the chair in . . that way I can have as much room for chair ideas as I need . . . good idea tho' I will drop some in . . maybe even on the chair itself.
gp

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 21:05
There's always the most-improved $50 prize waiting to be received by someone :D
you know what . . . I wouldn't even take that money, I would just throw it back to the site . . . maybe for a Ralph Curtis wing of the forum or something, or pay for some new smilies or somethin'
gp

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 21:19
I've been trying to get new smileys in here for ages but no one ever listened to me and they just kept the old ones. :D

Another idea that came to my mind is some integrated lighting. Maybe you could have strips of light running around the bottom part (where you enter the egg-chair) that would illuminate the guy sitting in it. Not much use to that but always looking cool, giving some nice lighting effects. A lot of movie astronaut helmets in movies have such useless lighting strips.

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 21:54
Some glowing stips on the outside would definitly look cool, maybe engrave a glowing logo in the...'front'?

JeffrySG
16th Jun 2007, 23:07
GP, I really like the egg design also... def. has that retro feel, and I think it's ok if you play that up even more so. Maybe keep everything really smooth and organic looking.... and I really like zabiegly's idea of some nice lighting effects. Maybe the rim of the egg could have some accent lighting, or even some type of pattern on the outside of the egg that is luminous... nice start!

gpdesigner
17th Jun 2007, 13:11
Hey . . . you guys are commin' up with all the good ideas . . .
it's gonna be hard trying to say "I" built the thing when it's done ;):D
definately going to put in the lighting . . . and Jeff I was thinking that very thing last night . . just to keep a retro theme throughout the design.
good stuff . . .
gp

gpdesigner
17th Jun 2007, 16:19
Well . . I added a chair in the style I wanted it's just the frame so don't blast me. Looking at the space it seems a bit crowded I may have to rething the size of everything. First off I should make the control pannel extension a lot smaller. I will start there and see where it goes.
gp

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 16:47
haha ... this is looking so cool... I really like how the monitors and controls are sweeping out of the egg... :D

gpdesigner
18th Jun 2007, 16:48
Thanks JeffrySG . . . still doing refits at the moment.

Here is my update . . I redesigned the chairs measurements and angles, now it is fitting a lot better . . . I also changed the support boom for the control pannel. Now the occupant can get in and out of the chair . . eggs-actly how is still up for grabs, but now there is more room to do it.
gp

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 16:59
Hmm, perhaps the chair could slide backwards, with some sort of mechanism to move you forward into position... You could mount it on the back of the chair adn perhaps encase it in a corrugated plastic/rubber sheath, so you don't have to faff on forever making the 'workings' - it could also double as a shock attentuator, since part of this design's purpose is in and of it's self, is to protect the user and absorb the shock of impacts etc?

gpdesigner
18th Jun 2007, 17:22
I know what your saying . . that sounds like a solid concept Tobian. let me see what I can come up with.
gp

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:16
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)