PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 Melak - The Chair

Melak
15th Jun 2007, 17:06
I hope to complete it this week, I'll be away for a week in a week from now, so not much time after retourning to finish it. Maybe I can win the "most improvement" prize by finishing a model, which I haven't done ever :D

Here's a first sketch, not that original yet, but I hope to add cool stuff here and there. It's just as probable that'll I'll model something completely different...

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 17:24
Looks like a good start. As you said it would be really nice to see something original on it. The foot-rests look very comfortable.

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 17:53
Melak that chair looks very well laid out, interesting to see what the rest of it will look like.
gp

Melak
15th Jun 2007, 19:41
My start on the model, I think I got the scaling about right.
Does anyone think the backrest looks a bit stiff? I'm not sure if I should make it more 'fluffy' and rounded, or just leave it sharply defined and give it a black leather texture. (The orange is just ...'cause I like bright signal colors :D)

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 19:47
Yep, I do think you should round it a bit more to make it look softer. Right now it looks more like a hard plastic chair. Not because of the texture but because of the way it is modelled. The horizontal lines look fine to me. Just round the edges a bit more.

Melak
15th Jun 2007, 20:11
I think I misunderstood you, I was thinking rounded as the one on the right, you probably as the one on the left?

Melak
15th Jun 2007, 22:41
Another update on the backrest, and start on the armrest. I'll have to redo parts of it though, I want to be able to rotate it vertically, and horizontally, and I don't know how/where to mount it! Maybe I'll do them a completely different way, but right now I'll sleep a while :p

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 12:19
OOh I'm digging the colour! :)

Looking good, and yes, that's what scares me away from this project, getting all of the proportions and ergonomics right, so it isn't horribly uncomfortable looking!

I rather like how your control panels look a little like steamed plywood, like those 70's chairs. Gives it a little touch of design classicality about it (even if they aren't wood hehe) :)

You'll have to watch that any uncomfortable lumps of spine hurting metal are far enough back from the cushion-squashed state, not to be very uncomfortable! :)

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 12:53
The Chair is coming along good . . . I forget that is what the point of this challenge is . . . I guess I need to focus on my chair more.
gp

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 13:56
Maybe you should keep the yellow colour and make it into a controll chair for a huge scifi construction site machine. A combined excavator/crane/truck/whatnot :) That would certainly look cool. And who says you need to controll a spaceship with your controll chair

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 15:23
Thanks! At first, I just made it yellow/orange because I like the color. I wanted it to be either black or white with blue interfaces..hmm. I'm not sure what to do with the armrests, I'll try to figure out some other monitor and interface thingies :)

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 15:31
Well the style of the chair would probably point to a touch pad, as it would be stylishly simple I think, but then you might want greeble goodness? :D

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 16:23
Yeah, Keyboard and laptopstyle touch pad (both implemented by touchscreens to be interchangeable) would sit in the end of the armrests. I've been sketching a few monitors, and I will probably scatter 4 or more from 9-10 o'clock / 2-3 o'clock, plus a big holographic one in the front to allow for easy access of the chair. I hope to model at least some of the monitors today.

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 17:46
A start on one of the screens. This is taking longer than expected, but I still have a few days :p

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 18:14
You need to work on the stability of the OS :)

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 20:10
^ I'm a modeler, not a programmer! :p

Okay, first monitor finished. Seeing as it takes that long to make only one, I may use this one several times. The steel tube in the top is the mount, where another screen will be attached. I'm slow, please bear with me.

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 20:50
screens look kickbutt Melak . . .
gp

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 20:53
Maybe add some reflection to the actuall screen to make it look more shiny. A reflective material and a pure white (100% self illumination) plane that reflects in it but that is not seen by the camera.

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 21:47
The screen's a hologram, hence no reflection...I thought on a construction site that might be safer. Though siny screens are...well shiny!
I know what you mean, like you'd do fake windows reflecting in a glass!
I'm not quite sure where to place it in a screen setup like this one. Maybe I'll just do multiple fake reflection planes!
I think I'll go fully construction-site chair now, I really like the orange and the idea of using more of it :p
The armrests will be replaced by new ones that come from behind on a steel "wire" like the screens, and in the end it's gonna look like a spider that puts its arms around the commander whose legs misteriously disappeared.

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 21:58
I'm happy you're going with the construction site theme. I really like that one and it fits your chair well.

It's true that screens on construction sites are not shiny :) But maybe change it from holographic to a real screen just so you can put dirt and scratches on it!

That thing support for the screens somehow does not really fit in. It looks quite weak for the heavy duty construction site theme. You could fix them to a controll cabinet containing fuses and the computer that operates your vehicle. Computers must be protected from dust and and rain after all :D

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 22:59
I'm in the process of building a top front screen that can show lot's of stuff, while still allowing the "pilot" to look down. (I think this is gonna be the seat for a crane or precision vehicle) Nothing to show yet but I hope that, wih the screen, I'll be able to figure out the shape of the cabin. When I retrieve Bones' legs some time, I'll continue with the piece you actually sit on :)
I've never actually drawn a texture before, but I have a nice collection of photoshop brushes that I will try out. Scratched glass sounds good!

JeffrySG
16th Jun 2007, 23:16
really digging the arm rests and the back support right now! nice work!

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 23:20
Microupdate time!
A little security around the edges, or is that just too much? maybe just to the sides of the screens?

Larsen
16th Jun 2007, 23:27
Looks very good... I'd thinken the tube that connencts to the chair tho... looks a bit flimsy! Again if this is for construction work, then go for bulky, rather than flimsy:D...

Maybe ad some handles on those screens, like you see on rack servers!?

RE the glass on the monitors... render an ortho of the glass, just the glass not the entire monitor! give it a solid mat. take that into PS or whatever app you use, and cut the image so it only containes the glass area... make a new layer and give it some grime around the edges and corners... New layer with white color, behind the grime layer... save this as your dirt mask!

Don't know if that was over the top, but you said you never made textures before... make a blended mat, 1 mat glass 2 mat mattblack, and the mask is your new mask!

Melak
16th Jun 2007, 23:41
I never really drew something in photoshop, I use procedurals because of Unwrapping, or rather to avoid it...and I'm quite useless with photoshop. I rather use Max to compose images :D Thanks for the tips!

Do the handels/rails in my last post somewhat resemble what you had in mind with "handles" ?

Larsen
16th Jun 2007, 23:51
^yeah sorry about that:D... you posted the same time I did... That was excactly what I had in mind:thumb:... looks awsome man!

the only resaon to render the screen is to get the right proporsions! really not that important if you make an image roughly the same proportions as your screens it should be ok... If you like I'll upload a dirtmap for you... I'm at the wifes labtop atm... but if you let me know right away, I'll shuffle me tired a§§ over to my own machine:D

Melak
17th Jun 2007, 00:01
Thanks!
That'd be great, I wouldn't really know where to start on a dirt map...well hmm some noise maps here and there and this brush and that brush...don't hurry, maybe I'll even figure something out myself, thanks for the help anyway :)

Melak
17th Jun 2007, 17:23
Hmm still nothing for the new armrests. I think I'll add 1 or two hydraulic limbs on the left side, and a big window /w some kind of HUD screen overlay. the Computer system would follow on the right next to the two screens, and maybe a box with fuses on the left, together with power supply (maybe something nuclear? A lot of thick cables in any case! :D). Images will follow as soon as I have something.

Melak
17th Jun 2007, 21:39
Sorry for triple post, but now I've got images! :)

I got his legs back, and did the actual seat as I promised. I moved the monitors a little further away to make room for a joystick and new armrest. The green thing is about to become the front window/screen, even though it's a bit wide right now IMO. Something like the bumper of a jeep in front of the window would probably be a good idea.

psycho
17th Jun 2007, 21:42
looks comfortable! nice work :)

spudmonkey
18th Jun 2007, 11:08
That's coming together nicely. The shapes are looking really strong

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 10:31
Yep, and the surfaces are starting to come together. The colour is really punchy! I don't often like yellow, but if it's the right type it is a very nice colour, especially in an industrial-esque context!

Melak
19th Jun 2007, 16:29
Thanks for your comments :)

I'm currently trying to come up eith something cool for the window, or the shape of the cabin..I think I won't have a cabin that is widely closed, it would make it difficult to show off the chair in the final image. I'm thinking about some vertical trussing, with the whole thing standing on a threefooted something, stationary most probably. Seems like it's getting tight, I'm away from Friday to Tuesday and Friday's the submission day. Hopefully I'll manage to finish till then :)

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:16
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)