PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 jmsprovan Artillery Gunner Chair

jmsprovan
15th Jun 2007, 17:08
I was thinking of an old style military control chair with some artillery cannons attached to the back. It can do a 360* turn and the angle can be adjusted. Maybe portable on the back of a near future truck? :)

Anyway i'll come up with and post some concept images later.

---

jmsprovan

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 17:19
That's actually a good idea - having your own command chair that you can put on whatever vessel that is needed. So you have all your comfy settings there all the time :)

And with it's own weapons it could also serve as an advanced rescue chair. Maybe put some expandable wheels on it that would unfold when the main vessel breaks down and brings the pilot home save?

jmsprovan
15th Jun 2007, 17:37
well here's a concept image, i know it looks like a chair on a sled at the moment but thats what concepts are for :)

ill work on some others now :)

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 18:01
definately a military design . . that chair looks freakin' hardcore . .
no frills . . Sgt Rock :D
gp

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 18:09
It could just be the angle, but it doesn't look like you have left any room for the lower legs and feet in your sketch. Aside from that it's a promising design though

jmsprovan
15th Jun 2007, 18:12
another concept, ya i forgot to put space for legs in the first one :p

this one is more matrix styled, you know the seats the sit on to get jacked in :)

ive also added the cannon :D

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 18:50
I'd like to see the weapons more integrated into the actual chair. Your second concept could lead to a light attack vessel of some sort. Maybe try and have the whole thing more compact and chair-like.

jmsprovan
16th Jun 2007, 00:09
ok ive come up with a design that i quite like:

(see Attachment)

1:The Main gun on the back can fold up into two pieces so they can slot onto the back of main support stack in the middle.

2:The chair can fold up and moves up next to the main stack.

3:the overhead monitor folds up into the gun, which the guns folds too. See number 1

4: the side controls along with the joystick for controlling the angle and rotation collapse into the platform which everything sits on.

5: and the wheels? or maybe the hover engine? or tank tracks or something disappear into the the main platform.

So creating the ultimate defence controlling chair.

I was also thinking that the chair might have controls to command smaller un-manned platforms.

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 00:27
I have to agree with Zabiegly here. The chair really needs to be more integrated with the weapon rather than just stuck on the front as it is now. There's nothing wrong with what you have designed in terms of what it is, but the seat looks tacked on, rather than being the focus of the piece

jmsprovan
16th Jun 2007, 10:34
hmm, it doesn't look like i'm getting any closer with concepts to ill take what ive got and model and during that ill make it all more integrated

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 14:35
Just as a general advice - usually if you can't get it to work out on paper it won't work out in 3d either.

Maybe make the chair itself a bit more solid. Right now it's just those three really thin plates. If you make it more like the chair in a contemporary military jet (more bulky) and also make the weapon a lot smaller I think it will integrate more. Cause right now the balance between chair and weapon is quite off with that huge thing sitting at the back. It could also be a good idea to have two weapons instead of one and fix those to either side of the chair. Cause there is more space to put additional things on the side of a chair than at the back.

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 15:28
hmm, it doesn't look like i'm getting any closer with concepts to ill take what ive got and model and during that ill make it all more integrated

Try taking the scan into a 2d art package and splitting the component parts up so that you have one on each layer. For example you would have a layer for the weapon, one for the seat, another for the support and so on. You can then drag the layers around until you are happy with the overall shape. Once you have the shape down, redraw it so that the components fit together nicely. It's also worth trying to draw it from the front as well as the side as it will speed up your modeling if you have multiple reference viewpoints

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:15
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)