PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - TheUnlogicalOne - Chair for my Destroyer

TheUnlogicalOne
15th Jun 2007, 18:01
While I wasn't planning on doing another interior for my destroyer this seems like fun so I may as well.

I sketched out a few ideas but my scanner is being troublesome so I did a quick doodle on the computer, I'll try to get it working later. There are six identical chairs in the centre of the ship for the crew. All the displays and controls are customizable touch screens that can operate all the ships systems.

I've done a quick 3d doodle that I may either build on or replace, not sure yet. Need to add restraints and a head rest still. Also a small air supply for emergencies (aka someone blows a hole in the side of the ship).

Edit: Removed images to save space.

Freak
15th Jun 2007, 18:04
looks intresting.

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 18:08
looks like a pretty solid shape to me too

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 18:51
No door to get into the cylindrical room? :)

TheUnlogicalOne
15th Jun 2007, 22:29
Doors would be in the floor/ceiling. Added in some more stuff as well as a quick person for scale. I think I'm going to rebuild the seat, getting lots of nasty spots in the mesh.

TheUnlogicalOne
16th Jun 2007, 04:48
I rebuilt the seat. It now looks like it came from a race car, but thats ok. Also added armrests because even at .3g arms can get heavy.

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 12:02
Reminds me a little (conceptually) of the controll room in the Matrix (II & III) for Zion's entrance. A super high tech centre. If the chairs were lowered into and out of the room, then you could simplify the design and have al of the controll panels and displays come out of a central column?

Either way it's looking impressive already!

BEMEUP
16th Jun 2007, 13:08
Neat design, still plenty of room for enhancements.

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 13:47
I hope there will be plenty of greebles on the blocky parts left and right of the seat :)

TheUnlogicalOne
16th Jun 2007, 19:46
I hope there will be plenty of greebles on the blocky parts left and right of the seat :)

I'm going to try, it's not something I'm that good at. As for the moving chairs, the habitat module is only 5 levels high and quite cramped. This level is heavily shielded and in the center.

I need to detail or rebuild most of the bits still. I've added some more detail to the seat, has some cushion thingies now.

TheUnlogicalOne
16th Jun 2007, 22:49
Quick update: I've added some detail to the screens. I don't want to go too far with the detail because this stuff should be utilitarian. As it is the wires are rather silly, but they do look neat.

JeffrySG
16th Jun 2007, 22:57
If the chairs were lowered into and out of the room, then you could simplify the design and have al of the controll panels and displays come out of a central column?

ohhh.... I really like that idea! :thumb:

This is shaping up nicely! I really like the shape of the seat so far too.
I kind of wish there were monitors right in front of the seat though. It's a shame to not have something right in front where your eyes see the very best.

nice job!

TheUnlogicalOne
17th Jun 2007, 01:28
ohhh.... I really like that idea! :thumb:

This is shaping up nicely! I really like the shape of the seat so far too.
I kind of wish there were monitors right in front of the seat though. It's a shame to not have something right in front where your eyes see the very best.

nice job!

While I agree the moving chairs would be cool, I'm designing this to fit in another project (my destroyer) so there are constraints on the design.

As for the central screen, I agree. I just can't think of an easy way to get the screens to fold up with one. I'll try one more thing though, it may work.

Zabiegly
17th Jun 2007, 01:43
Nice details on the back of the screens!

TheUnlogicalOne
17th Jun 2007, 02:28
I've got a setup that allows for screens in the center. The screens rotate to the side instead of up. I'm short a screen now though... any ideas?

TheUnlogicalOne
17th Jun 2007, 05:09
Another quick update. I've rebuilt the back of the screens a bit to accommodate the middle ones. I may add some more cables, I think they look neat.

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 05:53
pretty darn cool! I like how it swings out to the side!

TheUnlogicalOne
17th Jun 2007, 08:40
Last update for tonight. I've done the swing arm that supports the screens. I'm not sure if it looks solid enough, designing things for low gravity is difficult. The pivot is still just a basic shape.

Zabiegly
17th Jun 2007, 11:37
Really cool! I like that it's fixed to the ceiling and swinging around. As a little joke you could have a cupholder next to the seat in the blocky part :D

TheUnlogicalOne
17th Jun 2007, 22:40
Started detailing the base. I've added in a little control box, because you should never underestimate the usefulness of a well built 'OFF' button. The other buttons don't really have any reasoning behind them.

I've also started on the air supply at the back, but I'm not too pleased with it. Not sure what is bugging me but I don't like it.

Zabiegly
18th Jun 2007, 00:46
Coming along very nicely. Maybe some valves on the airsupply for manual shutdown. Though I do not know why someone would want to manually shut down someones air supply :D

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 00:56
LOL uh oh, this guy is serious, he's modelling the rivets! :D

Out of curiosity why does it have an air supply? Why aren't they hooked into a general life support?

Regardless, it's starting to look pretty sweet, but those screens got quite rigid, so it's going to be tough to move them out of the way.. especially if there are these space constraints you mentioned?! Awesome detail work so far!

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 00:59
WOW dude... that's a really advanced chair... exelent progress:thumb:

TheUnlogicalOne
18th Jun 2007, 01:23
The screens now swing to the side. As for the air supply, its an emergency system in case of depressurization.

On another note, my 3dsmax4 finally croaked (it does this every few months of use) so I need to reinstall it. I think it may have corrupted my file so I'm a little irritated. The mesh for the screens seems to be corrupt but everything else looks good. Unfortunately I spent a lot of time working on that so I'm not giving up. I hope it will load after i reinstall.

TheUnlogicalOne
18th Jun 2007, 03:33
Well, it looks like there is something wrong with the smooth modifier. I recovered most of the bits, but as soon as I add a smooth in the whole program crashes. Never seen that before but then again my computer rather cranky lately (I need to physically kick it to make it even detect the CD drive, never mind run it).

TheUnlogicalOne
18th Jun 2007, 07:19
Last post for tonight, I'm still not sure what causes max to corrupt the files, even does it without changing smoothing... Anyways, after a few restarts due to crashes I've got back to where I was. Started adding a bit of colour to things and fiddled with the screens. I think the backs are a little bland right now but I think I will just move the upper/lower cross bars up/down a bit more.

TheUnlogicalOne
19th Jun 2007, 07:42
Wow, are my posts really that painful to read?:lol:

Anyways, I've started working on the base again. It has a few access panels, vents and a door currently, along with the small computer. I'm don't really want to have just basic panels but I want it to look at least slightly believable so I'm sort of stumped as to what to put. I would love suggestions because I have never had much luck doing detailing stuff, I prefer the bigger picture work.

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 10:01
Yeah your design is really awful :shiner:

Seriously this is starting to take shape really nicely! I love the swing arm concept for the screens, very simple and elegant, and solves your access and egress issues, and I really like your felt-style material on the chair!

The only thing I could say is you could make the metal shader a little more reflective, with some soft blur, and create some sort of light-panel rig above and round the chair, but use super bright white polygons to give a more realistic metal sheen. Otherwise this puppy is pretty damn near finished, and looking really good!

TheUnlogicalOne
19th Jun 2007, 17:12
Thanks, I'll work on the metal material some more. Materials are not my strong point so don't expect miracles. :shiner: The white planes are an interesting idea, I'll give it a try.

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 17:35
hehe it's an old trick! :D basically create a low resolution fake of your environment. If your material is set up right you should get pleasing results. I did it in my hangar bay (http://comby.star-fleet.org/test103.jpg) basically instead of 'lights' the material reflects the environment, but with a lot of reflection blur. It gives you more realistic lighting because the highlights are shaped, specularity just gives you round highlights for the most part, specularity is really just a fake form of reflection anyway! :) The main trick for those types of metal surfaces is to keep the refection low, but make the bright objects REALLY bright, I had mine at 200% luminosity. Hopefully you can do that in your software.

Ozylot
19th Jun 2007, 21:05
Wow, are my posts really that painful to read?:lol:

Critiquing this is hard. simply cause I cant find anything wrong with it. I enjoy the attention to detail that you have put in to this.

TheUnlogicalOne
19th Jun 2007, 21:22
It's definitely an interesting idea but I really wouldn't know where to start. In fact I'm not even sure 3dsmax 4 can blur reflections :lol:. As it is I had to use a whole sphere of lights to get ambient lighting, as far as I know there is no other way to do it. You just get spot lights and omni lights. The panels are too flat to pick up most of the white. I will probably just end up modeling a basic environment for it.

As for suggestions, most of my modeling is self taught and basic, just using primitives and a bit of extruding/beveling and some booleans thrown in to flavour. I'm just too stubborn for my own good and keep plodding away.

The only exception is the actual seat which is quite honestly horrible (in my uneducated opinion anyways). I would think it is way too heavy on polygons. I just made the general shape and used mesh smooth on it (took a bit of trial and error). Ended up using lots of iterations to get some parts smooth. It started as a cube, believe it or not.

TheUnlogicalOne
20th Jun 2007, 03:01
I was bored so I thought I would put together a quick mock up of the control room. There are definitely some things I want to change but I'm not re rendering this again if I don't have to (1.5 hours, stupid max4, max9 would probably do it in 5 min). For example the chairs are too close together and the door is a bit too small.

Ozylot
20th Jun 2007, 03:07
Wow... its amazing how the duplication makes it look so much cooler.

I think your right about it being to close. It looks that if all the screens were to slide out of the way that they may bump into each other. Great work though!

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 10:47
Haha, it's not like there's a magic set of tools called 'make spaceship' - we all do the same thing.. brutalise cubes and spheres :D Don't put youself down, that's exactly how I'd have modeled the cushions, as subdivision surfaces is the best way to get the roundness. You could collapse the smoothing (is that the correct term in your software) and then hand edit the mesh to clean it up, but that'll be a huge chore, and pretty unneccesary for this project!

It's a shame about the blured reflections, oh well :D Keep chipping away at it, it's looking excellent!

TheUnlogicalOne
20th Jun 2007, 23:54
Haha, it's not like there's a magic set of tools called 'make spaceship' - we all do the same thing.. brutalise cubes and spheres :D Don't put youself down, that's exactly how I'd have modeled the cushions, as subdivision surfaces is the best way to get the roundness. You could collapse the smoothing (is that the correct term in your software) and then hand edit the mesh to clean it up, but that'll be a huge chore, and pretty unneccesary for this project!

It's a shame about the blured reflections, oh well :D Keep chipping away at it, it's looking excellent!

Heh, makes me feel a bit better I guess. Thanks for the sugustion, I may clean up the foot rest as it looks a little weird to me.

New updates: Added some more plates, a few dials and what not.

Also now with 100% more (not really, just added one) cup holders.

TheUnlogicalOne
21st Jun 2007, 07:29
I feel rather silly... I just realized that someone in the chair can't reach the side controls, so I raised them up a bit.

The green blob guy's feet are in the way but I modified the footrest a bit. The foam padding no longer reaches onto the bottom plate.

tobian
21st Jun 2007, 11:06
haha that's why you need blobby green people to sit in them :D The arm rests also look a smidge high to me too? Everyone's different, but my elbow only comes a few inches above my hips? Also the seating position could maybe be lowered a bit too, the calf muscle part is too long (proportionately) Both of which should help your arm reaching problems.. hopefully just lowering the whole seat should be possible, unless you've merged/ booleaned it :D

Daemoria
21st Jun 2007, 14:22
It'd be interesting if you can show that the controlls themselves are able to become resessed into the chair by pressing a button or something. That way they could be kept out of the way if you don't want to accidentaly press them.

Oh..and does this chair have a cooling system built in? Because it looks like it, with all the heavy duty grills and such. :)

TheUnlogicalOne
21st Jun 2007, 20:04
Hm, your right. The arms do look a little off. They were correct when standing but I guess I put the pivots in the wrong spot. I'll see if I can get it to look better.

As for the retracting panels, that's a good idea, I'll see if I can do anything to make it appear that way.

And the vents are more along the lines of 'that looks neat' things. The person operating it would be in a pressure suit so any cooling would be done through it. The vents maybe are just to keep the heat away from the ship's radiators for a while in combat (use the air as a heat sink).

TheUnlogicalOne
21st Jun 2007, 20:22
Quick render of the green blob guy. Tried to fix up a few things but it doesn't look right to me. I'm horrible at human anatomy so I would love some suggestions (assuming anyone else has any clue).

Zabiegly
21st Jun 2007, 21:05
When in doubt just grab yourself an image like that one (http://trs.shsmu.edu.cn/dept/english/photo/body_photo/THE%20HUMAN%20BODY%20&%20SKELETAL%20MUSCLES_jpg.jpg), put it in the background of your viewport and modell your reference human on it. It'll give you perfect proportions.

JeffrySG
21st Jun 2007, 21:26
^good ref. image to have! thx Zabiegly!

JeffrySG
21st Jun 2007, 21:29
@TheUnlogicalOne, the chair is looking really nice... I actually like seeing it all by itself as you can really see all the nice details, but it does look cool in the room with the other chairs too!!! nice job!

TheUnlogicalOne
21st Jun 2007, 22:36
Thanks for that picture. I matched it up with my model and made a few adjustments. It was close but off by enough to look weird. Mainly the torso was too thick and the legs a bit short.

tobian
21st Jun 2007, 23:39
Hmm could be time to resurrect pink man hehe :) Looks much better now: it should help you get the scale right! :)

TheUnlogicalOne
22nd Jun 2007, 06:52
Hmm could be time to resurrect pink man hehe :) Looks much better now: it should help you get the scale right! :)

Heh, don't get the reference but I'm sure its funny. :stupid:

Anyways, I had to rebuild the foot rest a bit, I couldn't shrink it down to fit the new body properly.

I looked into adding a gap or some sort of seal around the raised consoles but I modeled myself into a corner and I don't want to rebuild them. I guess everyone will just have to pretend they retract. :lol:

tobian
22nd Jun 2007, 09:48
Looks much better! The proportions seem to fit a human shape better.

'Pink man' was a human sized pink blob I started to make into a properly functioning human, but I never really finished him.. people are hard! :D

Zabiegly
22nd Jun 2007, 13:52
You could add such a device to indicate that they are retractable. Wouldn't be much modelling and you also wouldn't have to change any of your existing geometry.

Though I guess it would push it a bit into the Steampunk theme and take away a bit from your sleek polished look. Maybe if you adjusted it a bit to look more streamlined and not so bulky

TheUnlogicalOne
23rd Jun 2007, 03:03
Thanks for the idea. I tried it without the teeth on the rail but it didn't look like anything. I'm not sure if it's obvious what they are but they look all right so it's all good.

Zabiegly
23rd Jun 2007, 13:50
Looks good to me

biotech
23rd Jun 2007, 15:52
Looking good.

You can always import a poser figure if (like me) you cant make a human from scratch.

tobian
23rd Jun 2007, 22:02
Looks pretty good and the buttons are looking sweet! You're on the home straights now ! :D

TheUnlogicalOne
28th Jun 2007, 19:54
Well, I'm going to be unexpectedly busy so I'll have to call this done.

tobian
28th Jun 2007, 22:41
Wow they look pretty cool in a grouping like that! It should look awesome in the room setting, when you get round to that, after the competition.

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:20
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)