PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - Citizen - Chair

citizen
15th Jun 2007, 18:17
I don't want to make just an everyday chair, somewhere where you place your arse. I want to make a chair for something other than Humans, or Humanoids, maybe a 'Chair' for an AI.

Obviously an AI robot of some description isn't going to sit in a chair like a human, so what does a chair do? It's purpose is to give you a place to rest, while performing other tasks, so a Chair for an AI might be some sort of Recharge socket.

But of course the 'Chairs' design will be based on the AI's design, so I'll have to come up with that first...

firewolf
15th Jun 2007, 20:56
kinda like Robocop's chair, right?

citizen
15th Jun 2007, 21:49
kinda like Robocop's chair, right?Maybe, but I'm thinking for a non-Humanoid. I may go for an AI, or a non-humanoid biological Alien.

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 13:30
Well whatever you design you go with you will (unfortunately) also need to design the 'thing' that this is a chair for! otherwise it's just going to be some funky greebly dohickey :D Part of the concept with a chair is that it be more than simply a lump of blob that one parks one's bum in :D It needs to have a function: Sitting for humans is not completely natural for our bodies, so we have to help them, and design the chairs properly so that we are as comfortable as possible. If you have an artificial machine, for whom sitting is a designed in function, then a chair becomes kind of redundant :D Invented physiologies will have to be thought about carefully!

citizen
16th Jun 2007, 16:46
Well whatever you design you go with you will (unfortunately) also need to design the 'thing' that this is a chair for! otherwise it's just going to be some funky greebly dohickey :D Part of the concept with a chair is that it be more than simply a lump of blob that one parks one's bum in :D It needs to have a function: Sitting for humans is not completely natural for our bodies, so we have to help them, and design the chairs properly so that we are as comfortable as possible. If you have an artificial machine, for whom sitting is a designed in function, then a chair becomes kind of redundant :D Invented physiologies will have to be thought about carefully!Very true!
What I'm going with is an Alien, a 'Setepod', that comes from a water world. They're seven limbed, with two antenna as a primary means of sensing and communication, though they also have eyes. They'll be similar to Octopi, but also have similarities with snails, and Starfish.

The chair will be a command station that a Setepod can latch on too with it's tentacles, there'll be controls that can be operated by the tentacles (think of how your hand rests on a mouse). There will also be controls that are worked by the antenna.

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 16:53
It sounds awesome, with one tiny caveat.. building and rigging an 7 limbed cetatian lifeform is gonna be a hell of a lot harder than the chair !

Good luck with it, I guess you can just sketch it out, as that will be much easier, then build the chair to suit.. reminds me of an alien species I invented once.. long story hehe :D

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 16:58
It would be perfectly ok to only have a drawing of your alien robot thingie and just model the chair in 3d. So you save yourself an awefull lot of work.

citizen
17th Jun 2007, 00:00
It would be perfectly ok to only have a drawing of your alien robot thingie and just model the chair in 3d. So you save yourself an awefull lot of work.That's cool, most of the modelling for the Setepod is done now though, and having it in 3D will help building the chair itself I think.

Quick WIP of my progress so far:

Melak
17th Jun 2007, 00:19
Nasty! Looks like a walrusquid. That chair should prove interesting...

citizen
17th Jun 2007, 00:36
A warrior of the Mighty Squirus!

citizen
17th Jun 2007, 01:35
Minor update.

Just some holes left to cap, the mouth and a few bits of detailing to do. After that I'll rig it, then model the chair.

citizen
17th Jun 2007, 12:57
Quick update:

I'll rig it tonight and start on the chair tomorrow I think. The material is just a basic procedural, if I have time I'll paint a proper texture.

Ozylot
17th Jun 2007, 13:09
Thats a scary little thing. Very cool though!

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 00:46
hehe well there you go.. you did do it :D

I suggest maybe it has much longer limbs, to give it more control, as it's arms are a little short and stubby, but otherwise it's more than adequate to give shape to your control chair: this could be interesting! :D

citizen
24th Jun 2007, 21:18
No updates for awhile I know, work has been unreasonable. Anyway, not had much time to work on this, but I've managed to get much of the main structure done.

The big torus around the outside is a grip to help the Setapod stay put, though I may change it, a series of smaller pipes might look better I think. The two uprights that the antenna are working are the main controls, they move back and forth to control manoeuvring, along with the two 'foot' pedals. The Setapod's antenna also have sensory cells that detect chemical compositions, a little like taste, heat and texture. They also have small chemical sacs that can vary 'taste' , so the setapods use them as a primary means of communication, by rubbing their antenna together. The Chairs primary controls mimics this with arrays of chemical sacs that can vary their composition, and chemical sniffers that can sense the 'taste' of the antenna. This gives the Setapod two way communication with the ship, sort of like voice control/feedback with the computers on Star Trek starships. Though I have no idea how I'll model that...

I'll be putting two visual displays on either side, I'm not sure what will go in the centre, maybe some hard-wired manual controls.

Ozylot
24th Jun 2007, 21:25
Looking great! very original! :thumb:

citizen
24th Jun 2007, 21:43
Looking great! very original! :thumb:Thanks, though If it ends up half as good as yours I'll be happy! :D

tobian
25th Jun 2007, 00:40
Very novel! I'm quite liking the suface yof your uhmmm cetapod? hehe Looks cool, very squid-like.. I guess you need to get your chair done too! :) Since most squid/octopii are very good at using all their limbs at once, you should build the controls with that in mind?

citizen
25th Jun 2007, 09:10
Very novel! I'm quite liking the suface yof your uhmmm cetapod? hehe Looks cool, very squid-like.. I guess you need to get your chair done too! :) Since most squid/octopii are very good at using all their limbs at once, you should build the controls with that in mind?I chose Setapod as the name because they have seven tentacle feet, and Septenary means 7, like Octal means 8. So Seta- like Octa- sorta.

The tentacles are a little different to those of squid and octopus, they operate a little more like a snails foot to move the Setapod along on the ground, so they aren't as manipulatable as a Cephalopods tentacles. Having said that I was thinking of replacing the torus, so maybe a set of pressure pads and weapons triggers for the other five limbs could be used?

citizen
25th Jun 2007, 20:00
Latest update on the chair:
I changed the base, and removed the torus for some foot controls. I'll probably put piping and greebling in the recessed areas, and some vents pumping out bubbles for the final render. I'm trying to think how the electronics, like the screens, would be cooled, because obviously air vent's are going to be kinda less than useful...

I've tried to get a sort of organic look into the base, like some sort of Alien bone/coral.

tobian
25th Jun 2007, 21:51
Hmm, even if the 'feet' aren't as dextrous as a Cephalapod's, we still use our feet in car pedals, and they aren't very dexterous compared to our hands :)

Interesting start on your base, though it may need... more? Curious though, are these underwater, as an underwater tank environment could be a cool way to show it?

Dallidas
25th Jun 2007, 22:03
If it is underwater, well that takes care of all your cooling problems. :shiner:

citizen
25th Jun 2007, 22:26
Hmm, even if the 'feet' aren't as dextrous as a Cephalapod's, we still use our feet in car pedals, and they aren't very dexterous compared to our hands :)True. I've got those pressure pads around outside now, maybe I'll add more controls to them.

Interesting start on your base, though it may need... more?More? Actually I'm planning on adding some panels and what have you, also plenty of pipes, and some vents. I always find the greebling stage the hardest, I can never think of what to put and where you know.

Curious though, are these underwater, as an underwater tank environment could be a cool way to show it?Yeah the chair is underwater. I was planning on putting it in some sort of underwater enviroment.

tobian
25th Jun 2007, 22:47
Ahh cool, could be tricky but it should look cool if you do!

yeah greebles drive everyone to distraction! :)

citizen
25th Jun 2007, 23:05
Hopefully, I did some work with underwater scenes a few years back, and got some fairly good looking results. Now if I can only remember where I saved those old files, or how I did it...

Last update for tonight I think:

tobian
25th Jun 2007, 23:20
Well a projector light, with some caustics-like texture should make for a nice lighting setup, and then either put in a volumetric light, or a cone with semi-transparent streaks, set to self-illuminate, and cast no shadows, or have reflection.specular of any sort. And of course some sort of fog or distance based fade gradient, as water is often quite dense! :)

citizen
27th Jun 2007, 01:03
Updates!

First one to show the added greebles, I've tried to add ones that look like they do something, so pumps and fans, i'll probably finish off the greebling with just some nonsense shapes, since time is drawing short.

Second is same image, but with some underwater test effects.

I'll probably be looking to finish modelling and get working on texturing tomorrow.

Ozylot
27th Jun 2007, 02:58
Oh wow! its getting better and better!

tobian
27th Jun 2007, 09:30
Cool, you need to put yourlight higher I think? But otherwise the model is looking pretty nice! :)

citizen
27th Jun 2007, 15:48
The rays? Yeah, they pinch toward the top, I'll be using a completely different lighting setup for the final image anyhow though.

Pretty much the final modelling I think. I'll probably put a bit of set in to give some background, but mainly it's texturing now.

tobian
27th Jun 2007, 15:54
Yeah, I meant higher, so it wasn't so obviously a light right above the operators head :D (even if it was!)

Your detailing looks very cool, though it'll need some nice texture work. See what you can come up with! :)

citizen
27th Jun 2007, 17:38
Instead of getting on with those textures I had a quick look at what it looks like in a final render situation.

Total render time of 32:19, I think in the final image I'll use a bit denser fog, and exculde the bubbles from casting shadows.

It might also benefit from a little GI.

spudmonkey
27th Jun 2007, 22:44
That looks pretty darned cool, though I would definitely include some smaller shots of the chair without the alien in your final render. Nice work

Ozylot
27th Jun 2007, 23:16
Most remarkable. :thumb:

citizen
27th Jun 2007, 23:31
That looks pretty darned cool, though I would definitely include some smaller shots of the chair without the alien in your final render. Nice workYeah, I've got to show it with and without, and preferably from a few angles. Not sure what I'm going to do about that, but I'll work something out, probably insets around the outside of the image.

Textured the body of the chair, I'll probably add a specular map as well. I'm going for some sort of Organic Ceramic-Metallic material.

spudmonkey
28th Jun 2007, 09:45
You could do a curved loop/swoosh of small images across the top of the image with the full version appearing larger in one corner, taking up two-thirds of the total area

tobian
28th Jun 2007, 12:38
Nice idea Spud, you definitely want to show off details of your chair closeup.

Looking nice, the lighting is looking pretty nice! I would concentrate on the texturing, and do a GI pass IF you have the time... it might be a heck of a lot longer than 30 minutes! Still it's a small sized render I guess hehe :)

citizen
28th Jun 2007, 21:03
I did 2 GI tests yesterday on my other machine at 640x480. The first took 2 hours, the second, where I included a sky light, took 20 minutes...

Anyway, I've been laid out for most of the day with a migraine, time when I was supposed to be getting the texturing done. If I push myself tonight (and steal a little time at work tomorrow), I should still be able to get everything finished. I'll probably just texture the controls, and screens, as they are the main focus, and leave everything else to procedurals.

citizen
29th Jun 2007, 07:07
Ok, about to go to work, but I rendered this image over night, showing the latest texturing, and using GI.

Render time was 3h 40m 54s on my main machine. What I'll probably do is render off non GI versions, put them together, and then try for GI if there is time tonight.

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:21
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)

citizen
29th Jun 2007, 17:13
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)By my Reckoning that means 6 hours more than I thought, I've got till 6am tomorrow GMT right? Sweet.

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 17:20
Possibly even longer as neither I nor Sphynx will get up at 6am, go online and close the Submission Thread :D But that's of course off the record, unofficial and not posted as a Sensei but just as a normal member :)

Submissions are possible as long as the Submission Thread is open. We won't look at the timestamp of your post there.

JeffrySG
29th Jun 2007, 17:32
those last underwater shots really look great! fabulous work!

citizen
29th Jun 2007, 17:44
Possibly even longer as neither I nor Sphynx will get up at 6am, go online and close the Submission Thread :D But that's of course off the record, unofficial and not posted as a Sensei but just as a normal member :)

Submissions are possible as long as the Submission Thread is open. We won't look at the timestamp of your post there.Wink Wink Nudge Nudge, say no moooore! :p

:D

citizen
30th Jun 2007, 06:52
Well it's in, all ready and done, mostly, by 8pm last night. I wanted a GI render for at least the main image, which took 5 hours, and I managed to fall asleep before it finished.

I woke up around 5am, put the final together, then went to upload it and my router freaked out when I tried to upload the image and decided to block all internet traffic, but only from web browsers, it didn't effect IM's at all.

So about an hour of swearing and threatening later I finally managed to get it running and upload, late, but early enough to beat the powers that be :D
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachments/challenge-wips/35319d1183182299-submission-thread-final.jpg

I'll upload my sketches in a bit, but right now, I'm going back to bed.

citizen
30th Jun 2007, 13:35
Last few images I need to add:

The sketch, fairly uninspiring, I tend to work from my head more, and just jot down quickly anything I can't quite visualise as I go along, I suppose you can kind of see where I was going with this.

Also a few quick images of the rigging setup, with and without skin, for the Setapod; and some quick renders of the primary objects under a basic lighting setup.