PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - Nhall - Master Situation Control Chair

nhall
16th Jun 2007, 07:59
Right, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing, as I'm using open-source software (Art of Illusion) because I can't make heads or tails of blender. Anyway, here's my progress before knocking off for the evening, I plan on there being screens and controls, etc protruding from the chair, with much exposed. sort of hard to explain my concept for this.... you'll see as it develops.

Cheers,
Nick

nhall
16th Jun 2007, 08:26
Ok, I lied. THIS is the last update for the night.

nhall
16th Jun 2007, 09:49
Ok, fine. One more update, and that's it. *yells* "Modelling Intervention!!!" *gets tackled by friends*

Ozylot
16th Jun 2007, 12:54
Interesting start.

Do you have a plan for what the pipes and hoses do?

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 13:00
WOW, this has a agressive military fell to it. Very angular and spartan
good start nhall
gp

BEMEUP
16th Jun 2007, 13:22
Very cool! I like how it's complicated looking...

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 13:28
This looks like a really cool start. Did you do any sketches before you started modelling? If so please post them here as a sketch is a requirement for this challenge :)

nhall
16th Jun 2007, 19:24
Thanks, everyone!

As far as the pipes and wires go, I was planning on using them for power/data transfer, perhaps a mixed beverage dispenser. Lol. actually I put them there to make it look more cobbled together. :D

And I did some sketches, and I'll post them as soon as I convert them to a digital format, rather than that crappy analog-napkin I used. :lol:

So here's some updates. I decided to get rid of that crappy armrest monitor. Who wants a monitor there where their drink should be, after all? So I made some overhead situation monitors that I think are going to turn out great.

Cheers,
Nick

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 19:34
I love chairs that dispense frosty beverages . . . :D
gp

nhall
18th Jun 2007, 09:48
More! :) Should I honestly put in the frosty beverage dispenser? It wasn't in my original concept in napkin-o-vision, but I think it could be an interesting. Kinda a captain's chair a-la Hitchhiker's Guide, eh?

I'll think about it. Armrest controls are next.

Cheers,
Nick

nhall
18th Jun 2007, 16:09
Sooo... go with the beverage dispenser or no? Also, I'm having a bit of trouble making control bits that look like they actually do something. Any tips?

gpdesigner
18th Jun 2007, 16:23
You know if there is room off the arm of the chair throw it in . . .
up to you tho' if the scheme is light hearted, but if your going hardcore battle chair, beverages on the bridge may be a bad idea.
gp

spudmonkey
18th Jun 2007, 16:28
Maybe all it needs is for the screens to be touch sensitive? Something like a trackball or joystick on one arm might work too

spudmonkey
18th Jun 2007, 16:29
You know if there is room off the arm of the chair throw it in . . .
up to you tho' if the scheme is light hearted, but if your going hardcore battle chair, beverages on the bridge may be a bad idea.
gp

Practically every commander in every SF series is seen holding a drink at some point though...! Maybe recessed into one of the arms, so that it's not obvious

nhall
18th Jun 2007, 16:36
Well, I've been thinking of a backstory for the chair, a bit actually.

Originally designed as a Mother of all Gaming Chairs, the Master Situation Control Chair Mk. I was designed for hardcore 1337 gamers. With a top-of-the line, memory-foam cushion, and integrated hotkeys in the armrests, the MSC-061XA could provide hours of comfortable gameplay for those all-weekend LAN parties.

The design was such a hit with gamers, that Logitech soon introduced the MSC-061XB, which was a modification of the 061XA, but included a fluid forward positioned console that rotated over the user's lap, for mounting keyboards, touchpads, and joysticks.

At this point, the chair became so popular, a single soldier within the military ordered one specifically for his workplace, flying UAVs. His commanding officers, seeing this, sent an inquiry to Logitech, and the 061-XC was born.

Including a multi-panel display that hung over the user's head, the XC allowed the user to multi-task with ease and efficiency. The design was so efficient, it was eventually incorportated into the first generation of militarized spacecraft, with great success.

Soon after, Logitech decided to make the modified design available to the public, with few slight adjustments. One of which included the optional mixed drink dispenser in the armrest, and choice of cushion color.

So there, the world was left with the Gaming Chair to end all Gaming Chairs... The All-New MSC-061XD Control Chair From Logitech. Now With Optional Mixed Beverage Dispenser...

Cheers,
Nick

nhall
18th Jun 2007, 18:45
Here's the beginnings of the forward control console.

nhall
19th Jun 2007, 05:55
Can I get some feedback, please? I'm not sure how the modelling is going here, and I'd really like some tips on where to go next. This is actually the farthest I've gotten on any one given mesh, so I have nothing to gauge my progress...

Dallidas
19th Jun 2007, 06:01
it does looks good! some of your pipes could use some more iterations if your using splines or what not. other than that, i would add some connection bits, to make it look like the pipes are connecting with something

spudmonkey
19th Jun 2007, 09:14
As Dallidas says, it's coming along just fine. Add the extra iterations in the pipes and it looks like you will be ready for texturing. Nice work

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 10:54
Well if it's a gaming chair it needs joysticks and or a large array of buttons ala the xbox/playstation style consoles.. multi-functionality would I guess be the order of the day! I'd say that the controlls need to be clustered around the positions of your hands, so that they are all in asy reach of your fingers... Maybe work on some sketches, or even try it with a lump of clay LOL, try to make it so that the buttons form round a natural and non-strained position, and you don't have to move your hand much to access any of them.

On another note, it's hard to tell, depending on the angle, but the screens seem to high to me. It would put a strain on your neck to look up, so make sure they are at roughly eye-level with the ability to adjust the height of them for the user, so again it can be made as comfortable as possible.

gpdesigner
19th Jun 2007, 13:10
This is coming along grat nhall, quetsion, what is the backdrop about is it going to be part of the model or is it just for relief or something?
gp

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:16
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)

nhall
30th Jun 2007, 23:38
Sorry everyone... looks like a hard drive crash has taken me out of this challenge. :p

Cheers,
Nick

Dravt-A
1st Jul 2007, 00:16
How bad? Hope you have some backup

tobian
1st Jul 2007, 10:59
That's a shame! yeah there's been a few people here who had a great early start, but then just didn't get further. Maybe if it had been a longer period. Hmm.