PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - Flyingmonkey - The Chair

Flyingmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 18:11
Just a concept to add myself to the competition. I don't know if this will be the basic design that I go with but I thought I would put something up. No scanner, so this is as close as I can get to concept image!

More to come!

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 18:17
Do you have a digital camera to take a picture of your sketch?

Ozylot
16th Jun 2007, 18:33
Very cool! is it crystalline?

neat looking!

Flyingmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 18:41
Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, though to be honest my sketch is pretty much the same as what this image is only in 2d.

Flyingmonkey
20th Jun 2007, 02:40
Well after looking at some of the other wonderful entries, I've come back to my own and started a bit more work. No detail yet, but I'm happy with the structure.

I'll also try to duplicate some of my drawings of this chair into paint or something else to show everyone how I came up with it!

Ozylot
20th Jun 2007, 03:08
It looks alot thinner then the first one. are you changing the shape much more?

Flyingmonkey
20th Jun 2007, 03:16
No I think that's it for the shape, I thought the first one was too bulky so I made it more sleek by taking a lot of the shape out.

Took a few moments to make some digital duplicates of my hand sketches, I was surprised at how well I was able to recreate my ineptitude with 2D hand sketching on to the computer screen!

This basis for this design just came from my thinking about basic shapes (ie squares, circles, triangles etc.) I decided to try a triangular chair and came up with this.

Now for detail! (Which I may or may not attempt to sketch before doing in 3 dimensions)

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 10:58
That's starting to take shape. I like your direction with the thinness of the material: It looks like it's a moulded plastic/pressed metal style structure, but I would round the internal angles some, for both comfort, and for ease of manufacture if you get my meaning (it's difficult to press wood/metal into shapes with hard corners!)

It's a very strong simple design, so i wouldn't clutter it with too much junk it doesn't need for the sake of it: The design details and the control interface should be enough to sell it!

Flyingmonkey
21st Jun 2007, 05:54
Hmmm.... Thanks for the suggestions! :) I'm definitely looking at a simpler design with the central column as a control panel. I'm also thinking about integrating some more flowing aspects to enhance the simplistic feel.

It may not be obvious but I'm also going with the idea that the sitting platform can slide up and down the column exposing various controls as needed. This should become more obvious as I begin to add the controls.

tobian
21st Jun 2007, 09:59
Sounds intriguing, could be a very interesting design when it's done!

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:17
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)