PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - JeffrySG - The Chair

JeffrySG
16th Jun 2007, 22:40
OK, well I wasn't sure about entering this challenge but after a little peer pressure (thx GP!) I decided to go for it. I recently switched to using LW so I thought this would be a good test to really put together my first complete model using only LW for the modeling.

Anyway... after thinking about it for a bit, I came up with the idea of a chair that would be suspended inside a circular support system. This would enable the chair to: adjust the angle of the chair for best comfort of the individual sitting on it based on weight, and also help adjust the chair for best support during acceleration/velocity changes. The chair would be suspended from a support system coming from the ceiling.

This would most likely be for a space ship of some sort. Possibly a small to medium ship that could be a multi-use ship: cargo transport, small battle engagement, etc.

Here is a first sketch that shows a side view on the upper left (shows the support system, the seat, arm and leg rests, and a monitor). A bad attempt at a front view underneath it, and some possible ideas for cushioning for the seat and a possible hand control unit in the lower right...

C&C welcome, and I'm always open to any type of comment, even it is just a "nice job" comment! ;)

cheers!
Jeff

JeffrySG
16th Jun 2007, 22:52
Here's where I am so far with the 3d model.
Started on the circular support and the part that holds the circle and will also rotate it...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP001.jpg

Ozylot
16th Jun 2007, 23:01
Cool start, I like!

Larsen
16th Jun 2007, 23:31
Nice concept, lóoking forward to seeing this develope!

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 23:37
The concept looks a little unstable in terms of the width, almost as if the person is trying to balance on a thin hammock, but aside from that it's definitely workable

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 00:29
The concept looks a little unstable in terms of the width, almost as if the person is trying to balance on a thin hammock, but aside from that it's definitely workable

oh, the support ring will be holding the chair, it will not 'be' the chair itself. The chair will be much wider to fully support the whole body, arms, legs, etc...

citizen
17th Jun 2007, 00:39
Looks cool, a little like those wheeled gyroscope bike things!

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 05:45
thx all for the comments!

Here's an update... still working on the support structure...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP002.jpg

gpdesigner
17th Jun 2007, 13:29
Yessss . . . Glad you could make it . . .
awesome start as usual, The design is definately cool. I got the impression of industrial surroundings sort of a steal framed ship (inside). I am digin' it.
. . . Good start with Lightwave . . as you said, this I think is a good way to get your feet wet with the software.
gp

Larsen
17th Jun 2007, 15:13
The more I look at this thing the more I like it man... have you considdered making a ring going in the other direction for covering all axis!? you know, like those suspention things they use to test pilots!

Looking at the concept I would say he has that covered...

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 15:38
@GP: thanks mate! I wouldn't have started if it wasn't for you!

@Larsen: I did think of that for a little while but I didn't want it to become too much of a full enclosure. I kept on thinking that the ship itself would be banking as it turned so that would take care of any yaw type of movements. If it became really necessary from a concept standpoint I was thinking that the very top of the support could possible rotate where it attaches to the ceiling.

cheers guys!

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 21:27
Update...

Started working on the seat itself now... This is the main metal support. There will be cushions that will go on top of this seat area, and I'll be adding arm rests as well...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP003.jpg

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 23:33
working on the armrests and the mechanism that lifts and lowers them...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP004.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP005.jpg

JeffrySG
19th Jun 2007, 03:16
OK, I added the cushions to the seat area... I think they will end up being a black leather, but I'm not positive just yet... Just as an fyi, I don't have any smoothing on for the renders just yet... so they will render smooth in the final. :cool:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP007.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP006.jpg

Ozylot
19th Jun 2007, 03:20
It looks good, but I would adjust the armrests a bit, they don't look like they would be that comfortable ATM.either lowered or moved forward somewhat.

JeffrySG
19th Jun 2007, 04:20
I based the height and length of the armrests off of real lounge chair seating so I have a feeling it's pretty accurate. They are a bit thicker than normal, and maybe that is visually throwing it off a bit. I'll be adding some controls for each hand to use at the front of the arm rests. I'll go back and double check on the position of them though... thanks for pointing it out!

Stevio
19th Jun 2007, 08:01
Looking excellent Jeff :thumb:

i agree with ozylot, the armrests look uncomfortable... :confused:
they are certainly long enough but i think it might be just an optical elusion from the sharp curve at the end of the arm rests?

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 11:07
Awesome start that sprung out of nowhere.. like most of these hehe.

It's a great concept, and your modeling looks rock solid, but I think I would have addes some more segments to the ring (easilly fixed, since it's not intergrated) as it's rendering a little segmented.

I think i agree with ozylot, those arm rests look a little short to me too, you might fit your arm in, but your hands would be quite compressed and your carpel ligaments would get strained.. if they were longer that'd be more relaxed... IMHO.

anyway, glad you got a kick up the backside to do it :D

gpdesigner
19th Jun 2007, 12:57
Cool additions . . . The cushions look great, can't even tell you don't have smoothing on.
Question . . . do you have a color scheme in mind already? I know you said maybe black for the cushions but what about th rest?
Also the armrests . . I agree with the other 3 but that is easily fixed.
gp

JeffrySG
19th Jun 2007, 14:39
ok, well I really will have to go back and address the issues with the armrests. Yes Sir! ;) I appreciate all the comments on it, so feel free to keep on pushing me in any direction if something seems off a bit.

@Stevio and Ozylot: Cheers guys!!!

@tobian: Thanks!! :) I don't have any smoothing on yet so I'm sure that the ring will render completely smooth once I adjust the smoothness setting for it. If it doesn't for some reason, I'll add some segments to it if needed. Thx for pointing it out though!

@gp: I don't really have a color scheme in mind yet. I was thinking of going with a nice looking mottled metal look to most of the main bulky components. And then more of a brushed type of metal for the parts that you might touch more. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

another micro update.... just added the support elements that hold the chair to the ring... didn't get to update the armrests yet, and smoothing is still off.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP008.jpg

jay-mo
19th Jun 2007, 14:58
Nice! I used the same type of concept in my the "transportation of the future challange", but I was never really satisfied with what I came up with. This looks excellent man. I love the split in the chair for the legs and feet. The brackets attaching the chair are great.

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 15:22
Hmm yeah I did know you didn't have smoothing on, but that said you can make out the segmentation edge on, which 'smoothing' won't help! Good progress though, looking good! :)

JeffrySG
19th Jun 2007, 15:28
Hmm yeah I did know you didn't have smoothing on, but that said you can make out the segmentation edge on, which 'smoothing' won't help! Good progress though, looking good! :)

ahhhh..... I understand now...hmm... ok, I'll take a look at that and try to bump it up a bit...

It's funny because after all of the talk about mesh optimization I was trying not to to add TOO MUCH unnecessary mesh detail. But maybe in this case I didn't add enough... doh! I'll go back and try to add some more!

thanks mate!

@jay-mo: cheers man! much appreciated!

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 16:00
Optimisation is knowing WHERE you can save segments, not just lowering the amount of faces in general hehe. It's a tough thing to get right, and I am certainly no master! :)

JeffrySG
19th Jun 2007, 23:39
just a quick microupdate. i redid the ring - so there won't be any visible segmentation anymore... thx tobian!

I'll try to adjust the armrests tonight...

ps. I see that little poly error on the right leg rest... already fixed...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP009.jpg

JeffrySG
20th Jun 2007, 03:42
OK, some more updates -

Made the armrests longer, about 15-20% or so... let me know if it looks better or still needs adjustments... :)

Started working on the monitor...

thx for all the crits and comments, feel free to let me know if anything else doesn't look right or can be improved!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP010.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP011.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP012.jpg

Ozylot
20th Jun 2007, 03:47
the armrests seem much better now. I like that screen with its curvature. I can almost see this as a gunners chair where the entire chair aims a big turret.

Keep it up, its shaping up well!

JeffrySG
20th Jun 2007, 03:56
thx Ozylot! I think as I start putting textures on it (like the screen), it will help it a lot also!

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 10:33
MUCH better, it's looking pretty seamless now!

The only thing I'd draw attention to is ingress and egress, that big screen will make it a little awkward. Perhaps it could be mounted on pistons to lower it into place? Otherwise it looks pretty much done! onward to texturing! :D

JeffrySG
20th Jun 2007, 15:00
I'll try to think up a system to raise and lower the screen, tobian!... I'll be adding some controls to the front of the armrests, and will be adding some wires, greebles to the back of the monitor also but is there anything else that is in need of more detailing / nurnies? I wanted to keep it pretty clean but don't want it to look empty... I was thinking of adding stuff to the top of the support right above the ring.... any other thoughts or ideas?

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 15:13
It's hard to say and really it's working having it just be simple, but i guess the only thing is there's no obvious location/method for the signals and or power to be transferred to the screen, and or the mechanism which turns the wheel. Perhaps the support strut needs to show some trunking, even if the actual method is hidden (why would you want exposed wires hehe) and likewise behind the screen. It's puzzling to me how the screen IS powered, though with an interesting article I recently read about how they use pulsed magnetic fields to finally fulfil Tessla's dream of transmitting electricity through the air, it's not so much of a problem in a near future setting any more! :D

TECH.BLORGE.com Blog Archive Wireless Electricity? Tesla would be proud (http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/06/08/wireless-electricity-tesla-would-be-proud/)

JeffrySG
20th Jun 2007, 15:33
It's hard to say and really it's working having it just be simple, but i guess the only thing is there's no obvious location/method for the signals and or power to be transferred to the screen, and or the mechanism which turns the wheel. Perhaps the support strut needs to show some trunking, even if the actual method is hidden (why would you want exposed wires hehe) and likewise behind the screen. It's puzzling to me how the screen IS powered, though with an interesting article I recently read about how they use pulsed magnetic fields to finally fulfil Tessla's dream of transmitting electricity through the air, it's not so much of a problem in a near future setting any more! :D

The ring actually is held up by the capsule shaped part above it... the ring has grooves on the outside and the capsule part has gears that grip onto them and will rotate the ring. :)

The monitor has most of the connections right through the monitor support. So all the power and wires go through the support. The ring carries all the power to the monitor and the chair controls, and it gets the power through the capsule part through contacts on the ring itself, as it's metal. The main power just comes down through the support from the ceiling. :)

I actually did think of all of that before I started modeling...:thumb:

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 16:56
Yes, but since the ring can move, that means that somewhere there are contacts all round the ring.. I.e. it has a 'live rail'. Just need to be careful when standing near the thing, not to touch it :D

Jedilaw
20th Jun 2007, 17:11
Jeff, really nice design you have going here. My only crit is that the size of that screen, being so close to the seated viewer, would probably cause eye strain due to difficulty focusing on close-up objects. Perhaps the screen could be shifted a little further away from the viewer.

JeffrySG
20th Jun 2007, 19:12
Yes, but since the ring can move, that means that somewhere there are contacts all round the ring.. I.e. it has a 'live rail'. Just need to be careful when standing near the thing, not to touch it :D
oh yeah... that's true... I suppose the live area could be on the inside ring kind of where the notches are... maybe there would be something that would only keep the contacts live while they are under the capsule area.... :devil:

Jeff, really nice design you have going here. My only crit is that the size of that screen, being so close to the seated viewer, would probably cause eye strain due to difficulty focusing on close-up objects. Perhaps the screen could be shifted a little further away from the viewer.
^Thanks!

do you think it's too close? I though it was a nice distance away, but maybe I'm too close to this project (no pun intended), I can move it back though... what does anyone else think regarding that?

Jedilaw
20th Jun 2007, 19:36
oh yeah... that's true... I suppose the live area could be on the inside ring kind of where the notches are... maybe there would be something that would only keep the contacts live while they are under the capsule area.... :devil:

You could make the contacts be inside a "lip" for the ring, a groove which can't be touched from the outside because the ring itself is blocking it, but could be touched by reaching inside the "lip"
________
| _______
| |____
|_____|

Sorry, my ASCII modeling sucks, but imagine that the inside part of that underhanging shape (the "L" shape) was where the contact points were located (and imagine that the shape is symmetrical horizontally). You'd have to stick your hand inside the "L" to touch contacts.

JeffrySG
20th Jun 2007, 19:52
You could make the contacts be inside a "lip" for the ring, a groove which can't be touched from the outside because the ring itself is blocking it, but could be touched by reaching inside the "lip"
________
| _______
| |____
|_____|

Sorry, my ASCII modeling sucks, but imagine that the inside part of that underhanging shape (the "L" shape) was where the contact points were located (and imagine that the shape is symmetrical horizontally). You'd have to stick your hand inside the "L" to touch contacts.

:lol: don't ever say that your ASCII modeling is bad!!!
I actually knew exactly what you meant... and that's kind of what I was thinking... :thumb:
either way... I don't think you'd be able to see it on the final render, but it's interesting to figure out a solution none the less! :D

Jedilaw
20th Jun 2007, 20:39
:lol: don't ever say that your ASCII modeling is bad!!!

Okay, I admit it, my ISD is modeled entirely in ASCII, it's just rendered in Max.:lol:

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 23:49
Hehe yeah I was thinking much the same thing myself about the live rail too :)

Regarding the screen... If it's a holographic display then the distance is irrelevant, since the focus would be virtual: if the user found it too close, he could simply set it to be further away. Besides, if you do mount it on some sort of adjustment system, it's kind of moot. Personally I thought it looked ok myself? :)

JeffrySG
21st Jun 2007, 02:59
Well I think the distance is ok (although I appreciate the input!) but I did go back and put the monitor support on a lift system so it can raise about a foot and a half or so... and it actually is a virtual holographic monitor system... ;)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP013.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP014.jpg

tobian
21st Jun 2007, 10:05
Very cool, I like it, not what I thought of myself, but it's your design hehe :) The only crit I can give is those support poles don't look terribly thick, as they have quite a bit of weight to support! Otherwise coming along excellently!

JeffrySG
21st Jun 2007, 21:07
thanks tobian... and yes you are right about those support areas being thin. As I look at it now, I'm not sure if I really like my solution. I like the idea but I think it seemed different in my mind. I might go back in tonight (and this weekend) and try to come up with a different solution to move the monitor.

I'm starting to get ready to texture this model... if you know of any good tutorials that cover the new nodes I'd love to see them. I'm trying to do this using only procedurals, and the AO node, but if I have to use UV maps I will I guess... thx!!

tobian
21st Jun 2007, 23:33
Sorry not off the top of my head no. I can only offer to help where I can, as I'm pretty NOOB when it comes to nodes! :) I have had success with the new and cool Pom occlusion node - db&w - finest plugins (http://www.db-w.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,84/func,select/id,13/) it's very pretty, works faster and is better than the native one and works with fprime :D

JeffrySG
21st Jun 2007, 23:52
^ok, thx anyway tobian! Yeah, I'm pretty limited to plugins right now as I'm using the 9.2UB MacIntel so most of them won't run on my version of LW just yet... :(

But the Abm Occ node renders pretty fast on the UB version...

tobian
22nd Jun 2007, 00:00
Yeah that's gonna get complicated soon - 4 versions of everything! EEK

Still the scrips should be cross compatible, such as the new version of greebles and nurnies LW Greeble & Nurnies Lscript - Beta version (http://earthwormjim.free.fr/lscript/modeler/greeble/index.html) :D

Jedilaw
22nd Jun 2007, 00:21
Now, now, greeble scripts are cheating.

Hand made, man! Hand made!

JeffrySG
22nd Jun 2007, 01:05
^WOW!! with that script you could finish off an ISD in like a few days or so!!!
hahahahaha.... :D

but yeah, the scripts do work just fine... but you're right... 4 versions is crazy... although I imaging the we won't need the PPC version much longer as the UB version will take over for the mac...

JeffrySG
22nd Jun 2007, 01:08
Well, I had to go back a redo that monitor support as it was bothering me... this is the new design I came up with for the support...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP015.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP016.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP017.jpg

Ozylot
22nd Jun 2007, 02:14
Thats looking fabulous bro!

JeffrySG
22nd Jun 2007, 05:27
Thx Ozylot!

Just another test render... I put in all the smoothing settings now just to see how it would look...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/SFM-The-Chair-WIP018.jpg

tobian
22nd Jun 2007, 09:58
Looks sweet, that's a much better solution :thumb: Looks like it's just about ready for texturing and surfacing!

Anyway that script *IS* hand made - you make all the greebles yourself, then let it position them randomly, it's not just cutting and bevelling faces! I made this city (http://comby.star-fleet.org/cutaway-scene-test.jpg) a while ago using it! :)

Zabiegly
22nd Jun 2007, 13:55
Looks great :thumb:

JeffrySG
22nd Jun 2007, 14:27
^thx guys...

@tobian... that city cutaway looks very cool...
I'll have to look through the documentation for the greeble plugin!

tobian
22nd Jun 2007, 14:43
Cheers, what I meant to show is it's just a tool, and you can do very creative things with it, in the right context, and if you make your own geometry. I just did about 12 different housing blocks and the plugin mixed them up and spread them out over my plan. I think more people should hand edit their spaceships by manually inputting the spacial coordinates, rather than 'cheating' by using primative tools, and things like 'shock' bevel! :)

biotech
22nd Jun 2007, 15:28
Looks great, like something you would see in the epcot centre.

Stevio
24th Jun 2007, 14:58
Looks brilliant jeff :thumb:
especially the monitor and mechanism really nice work :cool:

Ozylot
24th Jun 2007, 17:50
Thats fantastic... looks very good smoothed.

JeffrySG
25th Jun 2007, 04:11
Thx guys!!! I'm in the process of starting to texture... I haven't really UV-ed anything yet in LW so I dealing with a slight learning curve right now... I think most of the textures will be procedural though... all the comments are really appreciated! :)

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:18
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)

JeffrySG
29th Jun 2007, 17:36
Thanks for the reminder... I haven't had as much time as I was hoping to work on my entry during the week so I'll have to put in a few hours tonight before the deadline to finish it up and check the renders that I have going at home now... I think I might have to continue to work on this one a bit to get it to where I want it even after the competition is over. It's been really fun though!!!

JeffrySG
30th Jun 2007, 05:14
Well here's my entry post:
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread-2.html#post221703
Thanks everyone for all the crits and comments!!!! This was a great challenge!!!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/JeffrySG-TheChair-01.jpg

JeffrySG
18th Jul 2007, 04:06
I did a few re-renders this weekend... not sure if anyone is looking over this area any more but here they are!

Enjoy!
Jeff

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/JeffrySG-TheChair-01-1.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/JeffrySG-TheChair-02.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/JeffrySG-TheChair-03.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/JeffrySG-TheChair-05.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/JeffrySG/JeffrySG-TheChair-06.jpg

Ozylot
18th Jul 2007, 04:14
Wow!... looks fantastic!

Dravt-A
18th Jul 2007, 04:45
The screen is fantastic.:thumb:

JeffrySG
18th Jul 2007, 05:06
Thanks guys! I didn't think anyone would really be going through these threads anymore... ;)

Glad you liked them... :)

hal
18th Jul 2007, 12:23
That is a snazzy looking chair, great job!

gpdesigner
18th Jul 2007, 13:41
that's great Jeffery . . . diggin' the texture on the metal ring . . .
almost a flake paint job, how'd you do that? . . image-map or procedural
gp

JeffrySG
18th Jul 2007, 14:27
that's great Jeffery . . . diggin' the texture on the metal ring . . .
almost a flake paint job, how'd you do that? . . image-map or procedural
gp

That was all procedural - with the new nodes. There are a bunch of textures like crumple or something and then also I use them on some of the reflection and spec. maps as well to break it up. I can post my node setup if you want.

gpdesigner
18th Jul 2007, 14:36
What is a node? That's LW9 lingo isn't it . . . I am running LW8
I have LW9, but I am waiting until I upgrade my Mac before I install it.
I got a sweet deal from Newtek . . . god I love those guys . .
Anyway, I ran through the preset surfaces and found a few textures, I believe I found a "Splotched" metal surface of some kind I want to use on my project.

gp

JeffrySG
18th Jul 2007, 18:41
Yeah, the node system is all from LW9 / 9.2... there are some very cool materials and some very cool ways to use them. If you notice that the reflections on the floor blur a bit but they actually disperse the colors a bit too so the rgb values will shift the more they blur. It makes for some very realistic reflections - but they are slooooww......

I never really used the standard textures with LW so all I've really been using are the nodes so far.

That is a snazzy looking chair, great job!
Thanks Hal!!!

tobian
18th Jul 2007, 19:18
Not sure that texture is completely working for you, it looks a little too mixed up? What were you going for, a metal finish? Perhaps you should look into the anisotropic nodes for that, it would really make that object sing, I think!

JeffrySG
18th Jul 2007, 19:39
thanks tobian, I can give that a try. I was going for a kind of galvanized / mottled metal look and feel. but maybe a nice anisotropic shader would be cool.

I haven't fooled with those setting yet, but it will give me something to try out...

--J