PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - Xanthra - The Chair

xanthra
17th Jun 2007, 01:29
My concept is going to be more of pod than a chair honestly.
It'll be a fully enveloping gel filled G-suit kind of thing with neural taps so that the flesh & blood CO can withstand the immense accelerations produced by warships maneuvering at near light speed.

It'll have integrated life support systems and radiation shields and double as a lifeboat.

"Skeches" to follow : )

JeffrySG
17th Jun 2007, 05:54
cool concept... kind of like the concept for the suit in The Abyss, well sorta...

gpdesigner
17th Jun 2007, 13:36
This sounds interesting, can't wait to see the conceptuals.
gp

xanthra
17th Jun 2007, 23:59
Thanks for the encouragement guys : )

Fresh off of the scanner, my first ever concept sketch.
I know that I can't draw so, please be kind ...

xanthra
18th Jun 2007, 04:36
Here's my progress in kpovmodeller.

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 10:04
Yeah grav couches, are a cool concept for that 'scifi' feeling :D It's good your thinking about the design in terms of functionality rather than just adding greebles to it hehe. This is going to be a tricky one to light and render though, as while it might be more 'realistic' to simply have it be a hex shaped armoured box, I think we'd like to see inside, so some glass windows, with wierd coloured gel/liquid could be a fun rendering challenge. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure I've seen one in a scifi before... somewhere, probably something very obscure :D

xanthra
19th Jun 2007, 01:30
Yeah grav couches, are a cool concept for that 'scifi' feeling :D It's good your thinking about the design in terms of functionality rather than just adding greebles to it hehe. This is going to be a tricky one to light and render though, as while it might be more 'realistic' to simply have it be a hex shaped armoured box, I think we'd like to see inside, so some glass windows, with wierd coloured gel/liquid could be a fun rendering challenge. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure I've seen one in a scifi before... somewhere, probably something very obscure :D

Thanks : ) I was thinking of giving the viewer a look inside the greebly box with an action shot of the occupant climbing out of the (green?) goo. I'm probably in way over my head, but I'm gonna give it a try!

Ozylot
19th Jun 2007, 01:35
Cool concept, I look forward to seeing this develop

xanthra
19th Jun 2007, 02:22
OK, so was thinking some more about Tobian's comment about being able to see inside the hex block and thought maybe the thing isn't made out of steel, but perhaps transparent aluminum ? I've never used anything but solid pigments in POV Ray before so this is all new to me and obviously the goo still needs a lot of work, but PLMKWYT : )

xanthra
19th Jun 2007, 05:12
Playing with ideas for tanks filled with funky fluids ...

This first one was obviously inspired by the ones on Larsen's "Funny Chair."
The fluid needs to be less opaque, but I'm done for tonight.

Ozylot
19th Jun 2007, 05:24
I could never figure out POV ray, so your already doing better then I would. Keep going! :thumb:

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 10:48
Yeah povray make me scream and run away when I tried it :D That will just make your effort all the more impressive IMHO hehe.

Fluids are tricky beasts, as is glass. You need to have fresnel reflectivity and index of reflections on them. Glass usually has a higher IOR, than a fluid.

I know a big problem in Lightwave is 'reseting' IOR back to 'air' and sometimes you have to add extra geometry to do that (with flipped normals) or use the advanced shading node techniques (which I am just starting to get the hang of! :D) Anyway have fun with it!

xanthra
20th Jun 2007, 01:18
Yeah povray make me scream and run away when I tried it :D That will just make your effort all the more impressive IMHO hehe.
It is sort of "old school" isn't it? I was exposed to POV-Ray back in college. I was amazed at what people could do with it, but never got much past the shiny ball on checkerboard stage myself : ( KPovModeler does make it a lot easier to deal with though : )

xanthra
20th Jun 2007, 03:17
Been playing with translucent textures and googling a lot.
The liquid is based on a beer texture I found on the web with the ambient reflection pumped up a bit and some iridescence thrown in to make it look oily. The glass is a standard texture, but I'm thinking diamond with a little bit of amber tint would be interesting. The tank is Aluminum now, but needs some work.

This contest has forced me to learn an awful lot about textures in POV-Ray : P

PS. I also figured out how to write a macro to put all 24 of the the socket head cap screws on uniform bolt circles without placing them individually!

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 10:30
Good! If this competition is making you learn that's a great thing! :D

I would have said to make the case a little more ... square, it looks a little tight in there, and quite vertical. You might want to try and tighten up your details, add some ridges to the girders and such, but otherwise it's starting to look like a solid design and yeah the rivets are great! :D

I still don't know how anyone can use povray! :D

xanthra
29th Jun 2007, 00:34
Argh! I've been fighting with a copy of Poser 5 (that I bought 6 months ago and hadn't gotten around to installing) every night for the past week and I have nothing to show for it. I wasted a lot of time and I've only got 2 more days to finish : ( I did come across the blobman macro library for POV though and, after an hour or so, I've finally got a posable humanoid occupant for my project : ) I may get this done yet!

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:21
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)