Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to do "shock diamonds"?

Well, now, what do you know, I did this the other day by pure accident. I was trying to create a laser blast that had "pulses" in it and got a tube with glowing discs.

What I did was to create a tube and give it a clear material with some cloud textures and upped the illumination a bit (or to taste as it were). Then I duplicated the tube and subdivided it several times (how ever many discs you want) and gave it a similar material and texture, but not an exact duplicate. Erased everything except the verts and applied a halo and some stars and rings to the verts. It tookk a little playing around to get what I wnated, but since I never did I just gave up. But what I got was very similar to the picture posted above. Let me try it a gain and then I'll post a pic and see if this is what you're after. Be back shortly.

I'm back, is this close to what you want, if so I can send you the blend file if you send me an e-mail. It's just over 200KB.
    Last edited by BoogerMc; 18th Jul 2007 at 06:37.
    BoogerMc
    Klingon Carrier Concept (once again) / USS NAVAJRON /Halloween Costumes
    "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy, the choice is up to you" - Me

What I would do is take a sphere, stretch it out in one direction so it looks like a rugby ball, apply a texture thats almost entirely transparent, maybe 1% opacity.

Then give that texture a glow in post effects, not too intense, enough to let the background show through.

Then you do an array of that object, spacing them out so that the ends of the rugby balls intersect, and also decreasing the size as you go.

Where the balls intersect the glow will be double what it is when the balls dont intersect, you should get your diamond effect that way.

And as a plus, the whole thing should be scalable.

SFM Guru
    well i was playing around with lights and radiosity etc...

here is what i got, not exactly like the picture, but if it was my project i would probably be spending a few days to get it the way i wanted it...

Looks like the shape and opacity of these diamonds seems to change depending on engine type - that gives one some freedom in trying to recreate the effect imo.

I went with a material with an opacity map and the diamonds themselves are stretched spheres, there's also a light glow applied to them. It's just something i put together in a few minutes, the material and the way in which it interacts with the volume light still needs tweaking. The scale of both the gas beam (just a volume light) and the diamonds can be linked to the ship's speed (dunno how that works in other apps, im using max6), so it changes in size if the ship accelerates. I only made a simple engine and did the changes manually for this example, tho.

You could also change the frequency of the smaller diamonds so they're out of phase with the bigger ones while the ship changes its speed and then have them settle back in the same frequency of the big ones. Dont know how to do that automatically when linked to the ship's velocity - perhaps this will have to be done manually. I dont know if that's how it works in reality and this is the first time i hear about this effect, but i was working on something similar for the engines on some of my spaceships : moving torus-like shockwave(s) inside the gasstream with a similar appearance as the attached animation.
    http://nulll-void.com - NULLL, the underground audiovisual experience...

That came out great!

SFM Guru
    very nice null yea he is using blender, which i think your technique could be aplied to blender...but i noticed as the intesity of the engine grew the light did not...where i was using lights i had to make sure they were small or my ship blew up with lighting....

why did the light not affect your engine to the left?

ClaysGhost
    If blender has some sort of volume shading support, you might use that.

Quote Originally Posted by elitewolverine View Post
    very nice null yea he is using blender, which i think your technique could be aplied to blender...but i noticed as the intesity of the engine grew the light did not...where i was using lights i had to make sure they were small or my ship blew up with lighting....

why did the light not affect your engine to the left?
    I didn't animate the intensity of the light, but i did change the starting point of the falloff of the beam and that has a bit of a similar effect. It's just a quick test i did so it's far from perfect.
    As for the light not affecting the engine housing, i made sure that the engine's geometry is excluded from receiving light from that particular spot, that gives you some more freedom in changing the intensity and hotspot/beam settings. I have to do this since i don't have shadows on for the light beam, since it's not really supposed to be treated as a light source but as a gasstream. I have a seperate omni light inside the engine as well that plays the role of the light source, i should have animated the intensity of it but forgot.

In max, under general parameters for the light, click the 'exclude' button and then you select what geometry shouldn't receive illumination. In the example the inside of the engine housing and the outside are actually 2 different objects, to me give some more control over what needs to be affected and what not.
    http://nulll-void.com - NULLL, the underground audiovisual experience...

Null, I think you should do a very in depth tutorial on how you made that, as it looks fantastic!
    "Common Sense is so rare it should be a damned super power"

Spiken: 1993-2008 R.I.P.

Dallidas
    couldnt you use overlapping stretched out UV spheres that get smaller as you go down?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast