Page 4 of 445 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars projects thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jedilaw
    Okay, I have to ask: what the hell are you using for references? I've never seen any shots, even of the studio model, that show the level of detail you're modelling.

Or are you taking the original design and adding even more detail?!? I shudder to think what a Falcon mesh would look like, done to your uber-degree of detail...mind, it's a good shuder, but still...
    ther<s lot of references in books actually..as to the falcon, well..he can't realy add more then i did..i included them all..LOL
    When you love a pet, loosing it is like loosing a part of your soul. I lost part of mine on Feb 12 2008. Never will it be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by al3d
    ther<s lot of references in books actually..as to the falcon, well..he can't realy add more then i did..i included them all..LOL
    Yes, I think the terminal falcon mesh has been made .

As for references, I'm mainly working off this:
    http://www.steinschneider.com/props/...der_tie_04.jpg

In other words, much of the detail on this part of the tie is mine (i.e. there's no second level of greeble under the grille on the studio model).

Some of the studio TIE models leave something to be desired, detail wise, I think. The fighter and the interceptor were quite detailed (though obviously not like the ISD), but the bomber and x1 models weren't quite so detailed. So I take the best-detailed sections of the best model as a baseline for detail, and whenever the studio model doesn't come up to par, I fill in until I'm happy with it. It helps once you have a critical mass of TIE components that you can play around with to supplement new detail for the unique spaces you need to work with.

Also there are parts of the models I just can't see due to lighting, focus of the refs, etc., so for those sections I can just go wild in . I'm willing to bet the inset area on the studio model doesn't have as much greeble as I've crammed into it on my mesh.

There are some studio models I'll never practically be able to match, like the SSD and ISD, but on the scale of starfighters it's rather simple to make a cgi model more geometrically rich than the older physical one.

Oh and that site is great rel, thanks .

I always liked the grille type vents on the back of this craft - the pattern always reminded me of the lights on the interior walls of the death star.

Quote Originally Posted by fractalsponge
    Yes, I think the terminal falcon mesh has been made .

As for references, I'm mainly working off this:
    http://www.steinschneider.com/props/...der_tie_04.jpg

In other words, much of the detail on this part of the tie is mine (i.e. there's no second level of greeble under the grille on the studio model).

Some of the studio TIE models leave something to be desired, detail wise, I think. The fighter and the interceptor were quite detailed (though obviously not like the ISD), but the bomber and x1 models weren't quite so detailed. So I take the best-detailed sections of the best model as a baseline for detail, and whenever the studio model doesn't come up to par, I fill in until I'm happy with it. It helps once you have a critical mass of TIE components that you can play around with to supplement new detail for the unique spaces you need to work with.

Also there are parts of the models I just can't see due to lighting, focus of the refs, etc., so for those sections I can just go wild in . I'm willing to bet the inset area on the studio model doesn't have as much greeble as I've crammed into it on my mesh.

There are some studio models I'll never practically be able to match, like the SSD and ISD, but on the scale of starfighters it's rather simple to make a cgi model more geometrically rich than the older physical one.
    1) That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that ILM's models weren't detailed enough. To match them is one thing, to go beyond them is another thing altogether. Truly, Insane Detail.

2) You may not match the SSD, because the references just don't show all of the details, but I'd say you've matched the ISD. If not, you've come so close as to make no difference.
    Being a nerd is when you have an opinion about the design of a fictional spaceship from a movie. Being a full-on geek is when you personally know at least three people who could have done a better job with it, and wish they'd been the ones to get hired...

Star Wars Reference Photos here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedilaw
    1) That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that ILM's models weren't detailed enough. To match them is one thing, to go beyond them is another thing altogether. Truly, Insane Detail.

2) You may not match the SSD, because the references just don't show all of the details, but I'd say you've matched the ISD. If not, you've come so close as to make no difference.
    Well they weren't shooting extreme close-ups with the fighters, otherwsie I'm sure they'd have detailed it more. And I, being the hobbyist, can spend time and "poly count" (either in real or cgi terms) in a way the deadlined professionals can't .

Anyways, finished off most of the top detail panel, towards the cockpit. Moving slowly, but moving

Absolutely incrediable
    When they build you brother... they broke the mold - Bruce Springsteen.

Wow, that models are amazing :eek:

It has been said, but THE LEVEL OF DETAIL IS REALLY, TRULY INSANE!!!!

If ILM makes in the future a really high definition version of the Original Trilogy, in 3D or something, they would have to take your renders as reference

Oh, and I get a 404 error when trying to see your gallery in fractalsponge.net

http://www.fractalsponge.net/gallery/htm <-- Correct Gallery Link.

Fractal: luks amazin' m8- will u b releasin it 4 my fanfilm m8?

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”