Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandeur Bridge v2.0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by seanr View Post
    The basic idea is that the bridge has a wishbone railing (ala TNG), but that railing sweeps forward all the way to the front of the bridge to form the conn/ops console. The railing dips at the sides to form the steps leading down into the command pit.
    woah... I way like that

Downloads
    Uploads
    I must say I very much like the new layout and there have been some great suggestons for improvements and the like, but I guess I can put my two cents in again. I think I remember reading somewhere that the bridge "set" is actually located inside the bridge module, but there are access corridoors around the outside of the central area. So that got me to thinking, if the need to get to the Blackfoot hangar directly from the bridge is a must, then why not use one of those corridoors to get there, a dedicated corridoor.

Also I still think there should be atleast one point of direct access to the bridge from the rest of the ship instead of having to pass through somewhere else to get there. So with that in mind the other corridoor could link to a turbo lift that doesn't show on the outer hull like the ones at the back of the bridge.

(See oic for the locations of these two ideas)

As for the Ob/Ready room for the crew, I can think of one other reason for it as well. Think back to any of the shows, when someone left a bridge station, there was always someone waitng off camera (usually in one of the turbo lifts) to replace them. These would be your back up personel and would need to be readily available and what better place for them than a small room directly connected to the bridge.

Anyway, that's just my two cents, take it for what its worth or forget I said anything at all, it up to you.
    BoogerMc
    Klingon Carrier Concept (once again) / USS NAVAJRON /Halloween Costumes
    "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy, the choice is up to you" - Me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Booger Mac I thank you for your input all I can say is of course I am not the one designing it and I think Nightshadow is fairly close to accepting what he has done to get started on the 3D Model of it.

One other thing, I did send him back the Blueprint update numbering the stations and listing what they are on the side starting with number 12-19. He seems to go along with what I done. Do not know if Jay wants to post it or I can.

It is up to Him, if he wants to accept and put into practice any other suggestions. I myself personally really like what Jay has done with the design of the blueprint and feel it is a keeper, maybe short of making it bigger and supplying more detail, but not really changing the basic design.

Maybe things like ramps or corridoors leading to the Blackfoot hanger bay can be worked out and explained without doing any major design changes.
    Might be good for our tech manual if we can explain such things but like the Commander said earlier it is all science fiction, somethings just are what they are, we just except that it can be done.
    Last edited by CaptainRoop; 9th Oct 2007 at 05:59.
    the Captain
    CO of USS Grandeur - NFC-90125-A

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more! or Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store and our new Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store Take our polls on models and props

Quote Originally Posted by seanr View Post
    The basic idea is that the bridge has a wishbone railing (ala TNG), but that railing sweeps forward all the way to the front of the bridge to form the conn/ops console. The railing dips at the sides to form the steps leading down into the command pit. My basic intent is to show how the shape of the bridge's major parts can be made to flow from one into the next much the way the exterior of the ship does.
    Very cool. That's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when I talked about thinking outside the box. The ship's exterior is very much about lines and contours that flow and loop and intersect. I think you could easily overdo that kind of thing for an interior set like the bridge to the point where it becomes more aesthetic than practical, but keeping it in mind as a design principle could generate some interesting results.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Dr-Timelord's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This must be one huge bridge overall, with all these rooms

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not quite yet ready to move on to the actual modelling process, but I'm getting closer to it. I've changed a few things here and there today and I think, with the exception of Sean's suggestion, the general layout is just about done. I've made a very small bathroom fore/starboard for regular crew to use and turned the old bathroom (which was much bigger) into a small transporter room which could be used to send personnel to the Blackfoot or elsewhere from Deck 01- the bonus is that it's still not directly connected to the main bridge area and can be blocked off by doors, which is a good security feature. I've also extended the wall of the captain's bathroom so that it's a bit bigger- not a lot, but maybe three feet or so. The Tactical Officer's station has also been moved, per Larry's request, and will be replaced by the TAC/Comm console, which will rise up out of the deckplates when it's in use and can be walked upon when it isn't in use. I'm also considering the option of pulling the wall behind the turbolifts a little further into the conference room for the sake of "stuff" hidden within the walls... but I might not.

You'll also notice that big circle between the two turbolift cars: that's the turbolift shaft.

Now all I have to do is account for the thickness of the walls/bulkheads and I should be set to move on to the next phase (which is actual modelling and is when I will see if Sean's suggestion really pans out).
    Last edited by NightShadow; 9th Oct 2007 at 20:26.
    "Poly count is king." - Me
    I'm a logophile. Look it up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow this is looking good, coming along great. The Transporter room is a great ideal and one to my knowledge has never been tried on any show.
    If there is still thoughts about corridoors leading from the bridge to the hanger bay and it can be done, that is great. If it is only the transporter that gets us there, then I have no problem with that either.

Great thinking
    the Captain
    CO of USS Grandeur - NFC-90125-A

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more! or Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store and our new Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store Take our polls on models and props

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is really shaping up... I like this!
    theCommander
    XO & Designer/Co-creator of USS Grandeur & USS Blackfoot - Commander of Geo-01 Fleet

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more!
    Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store - Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store - Our Props & Models Polls

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does this actually fit into the mesh at the proper scale? Seems like there's a lot of stuff crammed in there.
    Sean Robertson | webolutionary@webolutionary.com
    ~member of the Insane Detail Club

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRoop View Post
    Wow this is looking good, coming along great. The Transporter room is a great ideal and one to my knowledge has never been tried on any show.
    Maybe not on a ship, but DS9 had a transporter right there in ops.