Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandeur Bridge v2.0

SFM Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogerMc View Post
    Just because the turbo lifts are where they are, we all assume that is the back of the bridge. Probably because we are condtioned to do so given what we know of cannon bridge design. I say reverse the layout, leave them where they are and make that the front of the bridge.
    He can't Booger, the layout is entirely dependant upon the exterior views (including outer hull turbolift shaft hardpoints) as designed by Vektor in the Grandeur thread.
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed, Starscream has it right. I can't change the basic shape of the bridge module; it's done in that regard and the aft/forward areas are defined.

Anyway... here's the beginnings of the layout as I have it now. It'll probably change- I'll get rid of one of the bathrooms behind the viewscreen area and replace it with a small armory or perhaps a supply closet of some sort.

Keep in mind, folks, that I have to save some room for things like data trunks, air ducts, AG generators, plumbing, bulkheads, machinery and whatnot. People often think that, on a starship, a wall is merely just a wall. But the truth is that the wall is hiding all kinds of things that people take for granted. I'm not gonna make the mistake of designing a layout without considering what's behind/within those walls.
    Last edited by NightShadow; 3rd Oct 2007 at 22:53.
    "Poly count is king." - Me
    I'm a logophile. Look it up.

SFM Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

replitoilets

Plumbing in star trek seems out of place, I've always thought that just under any sink on a starship was just a really basic replicator that only replicates water and converts waste water back into energy. Afterall could you imagine how hard it would be to replace plumbing throughout a starship after every battle?

Now when it comes to how the can works well, lets just say I'm glad I don't have to fix something like that when it breaks down lol but basically it's the same basic replicator concept except that it takes the energy gained from conversion of "waste" and sends it to the power systems of the ship (great free energy source lol) or it just makes new toilet water from it hehe:-)

The various trek producers really should have elaborated a bit more about the can atleast once anyway.

Your right though, there are a lot of things behind those walls besides jeffries tubes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wastewater is recycled through mechanical, osmotic and electrolytic filtration, and superheating sterilization. Most of the solids that are filtered out are also sterilized and then recycled through the replicators. Why? Star Trek has made many references to how energy-intensive matter replication is - that's why we don't have starship replication yards, etc., and you go to emergency foodstuffs long before the sinks stop flowing. Filtering and sterilization must be much more cost-efficient.

Another thing to consider is the sheer size of a replicator. Those things in the crew cabins are terminals, the replicator itself is decks away and feeds several terminals. (How else could a whole group of replicators fail at once or be fixed from the same place?)

Technical stuff from the TNG Tech Manual

Downloads
    Uploads
    Believe me, guys, I've read up on a LOT of the internal workings of Trek tech. And what I don't know, I can get answers to fairly quick. First there's my personal library of books and then there's the een-tar-nit.
    "Poly count is king." - Me
    I'm a logophile. Look it up.

A few comments on the bridge layout:

1. I like the location of the turbolilfts where they are but I would not say they are totally unchangeable. If you need an extra couple of feet, just say so.

2. The orientation of the turbolifts within the bridge does not necessarily have anything to do with those little segments that connect them to the bridge dome on the outer hull. The turbolift doors could open in any direction that works with the layout.

3. This entire bridge module is far larger than I think most people realize. The intention was to put the bridge itself in the forward half, surrounded by ready rooms, heads, equipment rooms or whatever else is needed, and a large conference/lounge in the back half.

4. With respect to the conference/lounge, I had envisioned an homage to the ship's Arthurian legacy in the form of a "round table," something circular along the lines of the round table in the movie "King Arthur," positioned within the curvature of those panoramic windows. Maybe even break up the floor a little with an elevated deck for it or something like that; there should be enough ceiling height.

Beyond that, go wild. And if a slight modification to the exterior model would make anything easier for you, don't hesitate to ask.

One more thing: I would suggest changing the angle of the aft walls of the captain's ready room and the XO's office to provide more room in both, maybe just carry them both straight across the ship's lateral line. The conference/lounge is plenty big already.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's an aweful lot of bathrooms for one bridge...
    Current WIPS: None.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Dr-Timelord's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    lol that is alot of bathrooms.

so whats going on to the rear of the bridge mod where the large outer windows are, observation deck?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadesico View Post
    That's an aweful lot of bathrooms for one bridge...
    Okay, now... look at this realistically... any of you.. would you like to go out of your office and through the bridge whenever you have to cast off a little wafer... or better yet, would you like the crew coming in your office to use the can every five minutes? I think the heads are fine, we're just not used to seeing them on the shows.

VEKTOR... the round table idea is a go for me too. I kind of thought of a sunken area where the table sits too, maybe three steps down... very real Arthurians style. Play with it, NIGHTSHADOW
    theCommander
    XO & Designer/Co-creator of USS Grandeur & USS Blackfoot - Commander of Geo-01 Fleet

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more!
    Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store - Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store - Our Props & Models Polls

Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast