Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandeur Bridge v2.0

SFM Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

more ds9

Sorry to hear about your fingers being injured and I can understand your dilema since I too am left handed yet use the mouse with my right hand. If there is one thing in life I've learned about the work place it's never put your personal safety below anything especially what the boss says. Safety first work second always and you will keep your body parts just trust me on that one.

About the holo view screen, didn't the view screen in ops on ds9 use holo technology? I noticed it disappeared when not in use there was just this big oval ring on the wall and the view screen was inside of that only when it was on.

The holographic viewscreen idea is intriguing, but it would have to be at the back of bridge in order to walk through it into the conference room. I've heard the arguments about how the bridge could technically face backward or even sideways, but frankly that just feels... wrong.

If I were designing this bridge, I think I would really try to think outside the box. I would not want the end result to look like just another TNG era starship bridge, I'd try something more radical for a change. For example, note the fact that the bridge proper is surrounded by a horseshoe shaped extrusion that wraps around the front, but it's almost half a deck lower than the core. Hypothetically, there might be ways to exploit that configuration that go further than just a short flight of steps leading down to a ready room or whatever. I'm not suggesting anything in particular, I'm just pointing out that there this is an opportunity here to do something truly original and unique.

Downloads
    Uploads
    YES!!! That's what I like to hear.

My sketch of the first bridge on the original Grandeur was a unique design and it went over pretty well... till we got attacked by a space spider and destroyed part of it.
    theCommander
    XO & Designer/Co-creator of USS Grandeur & USS Blackfoot - Commander of Geo-01 Fleet

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more!
    Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store - Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store - Our Props & Models Polls

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by theCommander View Post
    Rick Sternback actually came up with that during DS9 next to last season with the holo-comm... remember that on the Defiant? It really didn't seem to catch on much, but... it was intigrated into Ent-E, which now has a holographic viewscreen.

So.. yes it is an excellent idea!
    I think they only had that in First Contact but replaced it in Insurection.

Sorry to hear about the fingers, I guess you can't anyone off for awhile!
    Live Long and Prosper, Y'all!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't flip anyone off, yes, but I've always got a mouth and know how to use it to much greater effect anyway.

All right... back on topic... y'know, for the longest time I've wanted to build the bridge from Galaxy Quest. Perhaps I can use some of their design elements here to create something totally unique and original. I'll give it some thought.

As for the whole holographic viewscreen concept... something about it just doesn't seem right. It's not very traditional, IMHO, and even if I DO create something original, tradition has its place here, too. I've got a lot of space available to me and it's gonna take me a while to figure out how I'm gonna use it.

Incidentally... the bandage came off the ring finger, but the middle finger is still damaged pretty badly (it's still seeping blood every once in a while, if you can believe it). I think that tonight, after I get off from work, I might try to put some time into the project, but I'm not expecting too much at this moment. After all, I gotta watched the taped recordings of Doctor Who and Numb3rs.
    "Poly count is king." - Me
    I'm a logophile. Look it up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The new Grandeur Blue Print of the Bridge should turn out to be almost as exciting as the 3D model especially when we see it completed in a larger size.

On another note of interest to some, Myself and the Commander have begun preliminary talks with the model builder as soon as the final details are worked out it will posted on the Grandeur website under the Grandeur-A project area
    Last edited by CaptainRoop; 6th Oct 2007 at 00:07.
    the Captain
    CO of USS Grandeur - NFC-90125-A

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more! or Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store and our new Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store Take our polls on models and props

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Dr-Timelord's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Slighty off topic.

What did the bridge for the Excalibur look like, the ship from Star Trek: New Frontiers. The original ship from the first few books?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Timelord View Post
    Slighty off topic.

What did the bridge for the Excalibur look like, the ship from Star Trek: New Frontiers. The original ship from the first few books?
    that was a Galaxy class ship and if I remember the cover looked like the Ent D bridge.
    Live Long and Prosper, Y'all!

SFM Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

holo tricks

Ya know... if an opponent were smart enough they could hack that holo display and make the crew see something else instead of what was really going on and I think we were talking about putting the screen in front of the bridge not the back but instead moving the turbo lifts to either side of the view screen not directly behind it.

Galaxy quest weeeeell... just don't make the whole darn ship lol.

Don't worry about dr who your not missing anything it's just as flat and boring as flash gordon.

The problem with changing bridge designs is that some of the most efficient layouts have already been created. Take for example when tng first came out there was some press going around that the US govt was consulting with set designers as to how they could possibly design a layout for "something" for the military, efficiency is key for bridge design. Stairs would take too long to get up and down during a situation and may even be dangerous to use during a battle.

Of course who is to say that a bridge can't be a longer oval or elipse shape instead of just a circle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There were actually two U.S.S. Excaliburs, Lonewriter. The first one was an NX-class "Excalibur Class" starship. It was destroyed and replaced with a Galaxy Class starship. The interior of the first Excalibur is, in all honesty, entirely conjectural and relatively unknown, but I gather that it had some design elements similar to the Galaxy Class bridge- only Peter David, the book series author, knows for sure.
    "Poly count is king." - Me
    I'm a logophile. Look it up.

Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast