Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blasts from the past. (12 img)

Blasts from the past. (12 img)

Ahhhh. The only thing wrong with nostalgia is that's its old. Some of you may remember me from way back in the day, the rest have no idea who I am. So here are some of the things that got people's attention when sci-fi art boards were new and I was more prolific.

The Ranger Class from 1998.

The Banzai Fighter.

Who can forget the Lamborghini shuttle?

Starfleet needed a Bird-of-Prey too.

Travel/Inspection pod.

The Indomitable Battleship. Borg, yeah, whatever.

And the Rapier Class destroyer.

And my idea of the Intrepid class underhull craft. Did they ever actually show that in the show?

Moving on out of Star Trek.

Harkonnen ornithopter with wings folded.

A design I always liked, but never had an association for it.

Alien sapient life form's skull.

And a Viper from 1999
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger1.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	57991  
    Keep moving forward.

These are excellent drawings. You have real skill, and I especially like your Star Trek stuff. Are there any more of the first three that you did by chance?

Nice nice stuff! I really like the ornithopter. Are you still producing stuff these days?

Quote Originally Posted by bbzwbbzw View Post
    Nice nice stuff! I really like the ornithopter. Are you still producing stuff these days?

Yes that Ornithopter rocks in so many ways. Love the trek stuff too.
    Kneel or you will be knelt

Paul is back! Woah! I'm seeing a number of blasts from the proverbial pasts coming back through this community of late. Great to see you around these parts Paul. You probably don't remember me, but I definitely remember you. Your designs from back then still hold up great today mate.

I always liked the Banzai and while I've seen a couple of attempts, I've yet to see a 3d model that really does the design justice.

I really don't do a lot of conceptual work of late. Life is busy as hell.
    The Ranger, the Banzai, and the Lambo: I have a top/bottom view of the Ranger, but this image is the better of the two. I have bottom and side views of the Banzai. Looking at it, it could use a revamping. The side view didn't translate well and I think that is the prime problem with 3d models of it. The fault is mine. The Lambo shuttle I did model. I don't do a lot of modeling currently and am surpassed by so many people here in modeling skills. I don't have the patience for texturing. I could do a better model of the Lambo shuttle now, than when I did it.

I've always felt the Dune 'Thopters were never done correctly in the original movie and the Sci-Fi channel project. They probably didn't have the means for the original. I figured modelers could make a mechanical wing. I did find a reference in "Heretics of Dune" that mentioned "wing fans", which would explain the ridiculous contraption Sci-Fi channel did. I think their interpretation was wrong. That's not fan as in "bladed spinning thing" but as in, well, a fan shape. Frank Herbert describes the 'thopter in exacting detail, so it's any guess why the designers deviated. I merged the elements of a bird and aircraft wing. Not to hard.
    Keep moving forward.

Paul, you're still the man.

Awesome-looking work! I really like the style and detail of these concepts. That ornithopter, Type 10B shuttle, and Viper are particularly great.

Haha, I keep finding myself looking at that ornithopter. I love that design, kinda has a steampunkian aesthetic to it, which is cool.

SFM Nugget
    All I have to say is somebody please model that Federation Bird of Prey!!! It kicks ass!!!

Great stuff bro!!!

Quote Originally Posted by psCargile View Post
    And my idea of the Intrepid class underhull craft. Did they ever actually show that in the show?
    there was one built and a whole launch sequence made up and even rendered for it I think, but the ridiculous producers didn't want it to be seen in the show because insurrection was about to be released and there was already a captain's yacht launch in that

I think I've seen screen captures of it floating around the net, or maybe it was another image made for one of the calendars, I'm not sure really but I love the direction your concept has taken
    I pity the fool!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast