Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Planet of the Titans - Enterprise

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Severus View Post
    Here's a head on view and I see that the primary hull does slightly intrude on the warp engines. So the question I have for you, is that a significant enough intrusion to warrant moving the engines? Do they have to be completely clear?
    I didn't see a response to this (though I may just have skimmed through the thread too quickly to notice it) so I'm responding. According to the rules Rodenberry laid out for what ships should look like, when he was working with the TNG design team, nacelles should have at least 50% exposure in a forward view. I'd say yours have at least that much, so they're fine.

I also can't help noticing that they look very much like the nacelles on the Star Trek XI Enterprise. I wonder to what extent the designers of that version were influenced by McQuire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did a little more work on this, actually I completely rebuilt the secondary hull for like the 3rd time, but the result is smoother, and started playing with the warp engines. Originally I was going to do a red front and blue exhaust but I think I like the red better. I'm now deciding if I want to keep the two impulse engines on the primary hull or just one, or move it to the back of the neck, still at the top, just all the way to the back so as not to look too much like the Enterprise - D.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome back!

SFM Obsessed
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by publiusr; 20th Aug 2010 at 20:26.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Starship

Thanks for the cool links publiusr, I realize it was just a prototype of a concept but that model is still pretty craptastic up close lol. Good reference though.

I started adding some details and some paneling on the secondary hull, still a long way to go on that. Worked on the main deflector dish and the impulse deflection crystal. Of course then I got interested in just what the hell an impulse deflection crystal was and it would make more sense for it to be near the impulse engines (which I'm still debating where to place). So I may end up moving that. Then again, I might just leave it where it is and come up with some technobabble reason why it's where it is, which is perfectly cromulent to do. I also rebuilt the primary hull and now I think I'll be rebuilding the bridge superstructure, so with the exception of the warp engines I've rebuilt this whole thing like twice now and if you count the lost first attempt, three times (you'd think it would look better eh lol).

Downloads
    Uploads
    a couple more views.. oh yeah and I put the botanical gardens under the cargo bay, I figured, who wants to drag a tree through a bunch of corridors and plant it in the front of the ship. No that doesn't work for my teamster sensibilities, so it's going close to the hangar and all downstairs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is one of my favs, but you already know it, right?
    What are those little arms at the naceles´ side?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They were going to be lights... But, although I like the glowing effect from the self illuminated material, I'm thinking about changing to just three spot lights mounted at the edge of the cowling which would look less like 1940's era lighting and be more in line with TMP/passenger jet type lighting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Severus View Post
    They were going to be lights... But, although I like the glowing effect from the self illuminated material, I'm thinking about changing to just three spot lights mounted at the edge of the cowling which would look less like 1940's era lighting and be more in line with TMP/passenger jet type lighting.
    Does to makes sense.
    There are a lot of Trek ships in which the lights over the insignias and bridge comes from nowhere. Maybe instead of spots, you could use two self illuminated bars. Something like in the quick sketch attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sug.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	84172  
    Last edited by Starship; 11th Aug 2010 at 16:11.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That worked out rather well actually, I was afraid it would be too dark between the bars but I like the effect, thanks dude!

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast