Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Lost in Space Project

Classic Lost in Space Project

Hi everyone! I'm new here and am happy to have discovered such a great site. I'm in the midst of re-creating the Jupiter 2 from the 1960's TV show Lost in Space. I haven't seen much online other than an occasional Chariot or Robot, so I thought I'd try to bring some of Robert Kino****a's classic designs back to life, ignoring the (I think) dreadful movie re-make of the show.

I work in MAX and usually am confined to architectural models, so it's been fun to break out into science fiction, since there are so many great designs out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front v02.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	83049  
    Last edited by Avian; 27th Jun 2010 at 18:52. Reason: Edited to change thumbnails

SFM Nugget
    Nice work, look forward to seeing this develop.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this project. I'm a HUGE LIS fan, and agree about the movie being pretty bad.

Your robot is looking really good and pretty true to the series. Same with the astrogator and magnetic lock.

I've done the robot myself, and have it in the downloads section. Also have the exterior of the Jupiter 2 in the downloads. I've modeled the complete Jupiter 2 before in Anim8or (along with launch pad), and modeled the Jupiter 2 (with most of the flight deck) in Animation:Master.

Keep up the great work...
    Al
    I hope when I die, my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them.

That first render looks pretty much perfect!

..on a side note, LOL at the misfiring language filter

• R o b e r t K i n o s.h i t a
    Grrrrr... By Your Command

Hi gang,

Thanks for the encouragements!
    @Tralfaz - I did notice your models in the download section and wanted to take a close look at them for reference, but I don't have a way of importing c4d models into MAX. And I didn't notice that you had done them so recently. It would be fun to compare notes! I found a lot of info on the ship (including scans of the original Fox Studios construction blueprints) at the HobbyTalk.com forums. It's been a great help.

@today - Yes, I had a laugh at the language filter too!

Here are a couple of pics of the Stasis Tube assembly. Basic MAX lighting and reflect maps rather than raytracing for now. I am not being 110% true to every detail - after all, who can be in an ever-changing Irwin Allen universe? But I am adding a few details that didn't exist, such as some extra animated light panels and such, without being too intrusive I hope.

The Upper Deck of the ship is approaching completion and I'll have some more images this week. The Lower Deck will come later, after I re-work the exterior of the ship.

Last edited by Avian; 4th Apr 2010 at 19:00.

Holy crap, that looks absolutely great, looking forward to see more!

Very cool work on these so far !!!

Update

Thanks again everyone!

The computer core/flight recorder octant is done, as well as most of the rest of the upper deck. I also created a short animation with ambient sound effects as a test. I plan on stringing together a "grand tour" of sorts and this brief clip will give you an idea of what I have in mind. C&C are always welcome!

Here is the YouTube link.

Just saw your video on YouTube. Looks really good. Love the lighting. Tried to subscribe to the video, hope it worked.

Al
    I hope when I die, my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them.

Update

A few more images...

Upper deck elevator area is finished and the Robot is now in the master model:

Astrogator with the Stasis Tubes in the background:

And preliminaries of the main flight console:

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast