Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Lost in Space Project

After you've fifnished with lost in space you should do PIGS IN SPACE !!!!!

^ Just give me Miss Piggy's dimensions and I'm there!

Communication station, weapons storage and airlock area:

And another of some elevator detail:

Moving on to re-work the exterior...

Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    ^ Just give me Miss Piggy's dimensions and I'm there!
    I'm sure Kermit will have something to say about that !!!

These pics are superb !! Never was a huge fan of Lost in Space, can't really remember seeing it when I was growing up as a kid in the UK !!

The show started out really well - it was the most expensive TV show ever produced at the time. The Robot by itself cost around $30,000, and that was in 1965 dollars. The full sets, including the 42-foot diameter mock-up of the spaceship were somewhere in the $600,000 range. (You could buy a 1965 Cadillac DeVille for less than $6,000 back then.) Robert Kinosh-ita reworked a lot of his Forbidden Planet designs for Lost in Space.

The cast had promise: Both Guy Williams and June Lockhart were established television stars. And the music was primarily by John Williams with Alexander Courage adding a lot of incidental music as well.

Too bad the writing took such a bad turn after the 1st season. It could have been a terrific show otherwise. Still, it's fun to re-visit the designs!
    Last edited by Avian; 9th Apr 2010 at 01:07.

Slight change...

The airlock & weapons storage area shown in the previous images have angular door frames. This is consistent with the show. However I've changed those frames to be more in line with the other doors on the upper deck (as seen in the elevator images). It seems to make better sense...

]\

The show started out really well - it was the most expensive TV show ever produced at the time. The Robot by itself cost around $30,000, and that was in 1965 dollars. The full sets, including the 42-foot diameter mock-up of the spaceship were somewhere in the $600,000 range. (You could buy a 1965 Cadillac DeVille for less than $6,000 back then.) Robert Kinosh-ita reworked a lot of his Forbidden Planet designs for Lost in Space.

The cast had promise: Both Guy Williams and June Lockhart were established television stars. And the music was primarily by John Williams with Alexander Courage adding a lot of incidental music as well.

Too bad the writing took such a bad turn after the 1st season. It could have been a terrific show otherwise. Still, it's fun to re-visit the designs!
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. Robert's designs of the C57-D cruiser and Jupiter 2 still hold up well, even today. They were smooth, clean and functional looking (even if the interiors wouldn't actually fit inside the ships ).

The cast did have promise, even Dr. Smith (in the first season). It soon became the Dr. Smith and Will show and the other cast members became the bit players. Batman was campy, so LIS became campy in order to try and keep up. The first season was darker, the cast more believable, Smith more sinister without much regard for anyone else. Then it degraded to talking carrots and ridiculous plots. In the talking carrots episode, you can see Don turn his back to the camera when they were in a cage, because he couldn't stop laughing.

In the Alpha Control Techinical Manual, they attempted to explain Smith going from major bad guy to a bumbling coward and fool. It is due to him not being in a freezing tube when the Jupiter 2 lifted off from Earth under full power. The strange glow around the ship under full power affected his brain, which slowly change Smith. Apparently, the J2 never did a full power lift off again.

Your models are looking great as always, but I was wondering if you are attempting an accurate reproduction of the J2? I did notice you were changing the door shapes to better match the shape of the other doors, but am wondering about the other details.

Al
    Last edited by Tralfaz; 9th Apr 2010 at 13:15.
    I hope when I die, my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them.

I can't place my finger on it, but for some reason, I love this thread...

I'd love to see a serious retro-remake of LIS, in the spirit of the first season... maybe even merge it with a re-imagined Rocky Jones series somehow?

I originally meant for my B9 model for animation, just haven't rigged it yet, are you setting yours up for the same?

Ah, the future isn't what it used to be... but your work here is top shelf!
    ---
    Jeffery Wright
    http://jefferywright.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
    ..Your models are looking great as always, but I was wondering if you are attempting an accurate reproduction of the J2? I did notice you were changing the door shapes to better match the shape of the other doors, but am wondering about the other details..

Al
    Thanks Al. I'm going back and forth on the question. The ship's interior changed from season to season and even, it seems, from episode to episode! The pilot seats were sometimes present and sometimes missing. The stasis tubes started out as all glass, then a lower aluminum panel suddenly appeared with no explanation. The space pod door led either to the space pod (as would make sense) or to a storage room, or to a weapons locker. And originally, there was a 5-inch high raised floor around the perimeter of the main deck that was removed for the Robot's sake.

The biggest change perhaps occurred when the lighted structural ribs were shortened to end at the soffit instead of continuing to the central ceiling ring. I heard this was due to re-building the set at a new location for the 3rd season. So I guess I'm taking elements that were present at one time or another and creating a ship that was representative, but not entirely consistent with a particular episode.

And, as you pointed out, the fact that the Jupiter's Tardis-like interior doesn't match the exterior makes for an interesting challenge!

P.S. - I never heard that explanation of Dr. Smith's behavior before. Fun stuff!
    Last edited by Avian; 9th Apr 2010 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by JWWright View Post
    I can't place my finger on it, but for some reason, I love this thread...

I'd love to see a serious retro-remake of LIS, in the spirit of the first season... maybe even merge it with a re-imagined Rocky Jones series somehow?

I originally meant for my B9 model for animation, just haven't rigged it yet, are you setting yours up for the same?

Ah, the future isn't what it used to be... but your work here is top shelf!
    Thanks! I ran across your model doing a search for info on the robot. Great work! I used your images as a resource to verify some components of the robot. I was actually searching for downloadable robots in MAX file form but decided I'd just go ahead and model it myself. It took a lot less time than I expected and was fun to do.

In answer to your question, I have uploaded a new test video that includes our bubble-headed booby HERE.

He's not fully rigged; Just enough to add some movement to the videos I am creating. I may make him flail an arm or two...

I too would love to see a re-make of the show using the aesthetics of the original, but keeping the mood darker as in the original few episodes.

Thanks! I ran across your model doing a search for info on the robot. Great work! I used your images as a resource to verify some components of the robot. I was actually searching for downloadable robots in MAX file form but decided I'd just go ahead and model it myself. It took a lot less time than I expected and was fun to do.

In answer to your question, I have uploaded a new test video that includes our bubble-headed booby HERE.

He's not fully rigged; Just enough to add some movement to the videos I am creating. I may make him flail an arm or two...

I too would love to see a re-make of the show using the aesthetics of the original, but keeping the mood darker as in the original few episodes.
    The video looked great!

And Jeff's and yours idea of a re-make got the ol' juices flowing. I think I will work on a 1st season Jupiter 2. This would be after the first 6 episodes which were mostly made from the unaired pilot. That Jupiter 2 didn't even have an airlock! Working on that will give me a break from the Falcon and vice versa.

Al

[edit]

In case anyone is interested, here a couple of links to my old J2 flight deck. It was done before I knew about bevelling and creating decent textures and lighting. This was all done in Animation:Master. Console lights and screens were all rigged to animate. Also includes the B9 robot.

J2 Flight Deck

And here is an animation of my B9 Robot with articulated arms, torso, 'ears' and brain. Also done in Animation:Master.

Animated B9 Robot

[/edit]
    Last edited by Tralfaz; 10th Apr 2010 at 01:20. Reason: Added a couple of links...
    I hope when I die, my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast