Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Troop Transport

Troop Transport

I've been trying to come up with a project I would like to actually finish. This might be the one. Built in Sketchup and rendered out with Kerk. It's fairly original not really based on any one universe. Let me know what you think...

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop1.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	87438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop2.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	87439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop3.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	87440  

It's interesting. Is it meant to make combat landings, or just be the equivalent of Liberty ships? Putting the thrusters right between your boarding ramps seems dangerous to troopies.
    Jennifer Linsky
    "When first my brave Jenny lass came to this town, she had a blue bonnet that wanted a crown..." --Robbie Burns

I'd say more of a liberty ship type craft from the looks of it. Those boarding ramps/tubes are major choke points allowing only what 1 or 2 guys out at a time, plus that is a heck of run to go down to "hit the beach."
    The original Totally Insane AUTOCAD Modeler
    Creator of the Spiral War Universe and the unofficial SFM Crew Calculator.
    Now Available on Kindle Via Noble Storm Books
    Spiral War: On Dagger's Wings
    Spiral War: In Death's Shadow
    Sprial War: Rising Warrior/Rising Threat
    Spiral War: Armageddon's Pal
    Pick up your copies and join the adventure.

Looking at it again, I added small craft carrying capabilities. With 4 bays in the undercarriage, and toying with the thought of additional craft service space topside. It could become a Mobile Ops Center, or maybe a self contained Mobile Hospital unit?

Name:	troop5.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	87446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop6.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	87447  

I really like the mobile hospital unit over all. I would put big landing jacks close to the ends of the landing legs, going up into the hull, as right now you have a large amount of bending force that would be applied to the landing legs as it is. The lower bays look great.
    Veni Vidi Visa
    Voltaire: “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”
    Christopher Hitchens: “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”

Quote Originally Posted by cavebear View Post
    I really like the mobile hospital unit over all. I would put big landing jacks close to the ends of the landing legs, going up into the hull, as right now you have a large amount of bending force that would be applied to the landing legs as it is. The lower bays look great.
    Yeah, that's the idea, just working on over all structure, I was thinking of retractable gear, but I don't know if it needs them. I think if I go with the hospital I will definitely need better access to the ship from the ground.

Doesn't look like it would be able to move very fast in atmo, not with those big legs sticking out, nor does it look like it could handle reentry for the same reason. Exo-atm it would probably be fine. Same goes for the little hoppers, they don't look like they would handle well in atmo.
    The original Totally Insane AUTOCAD Modeler
    Creator of the Spiral War Universe and the unofficial SFM Crew Calculator.
    Now Available on Kindle Via Noble Storm Books
    Spiral War: On Dagger's Wings
    Spiral War: In Death's Shadow
    Sprial War: Rising Warrior/Rising Threat
    Spiral War: Armageddon's Pal
    Pick up your copies and join the adventure.

I think these craft (both large and small) would work fine in atmosphere, since it wouldn't need to move much faster than, say, a helicopter does. Would work best as a mobile command base, I think.

Those exit tubes look awfully small for exits. Perhaps enlarge them by 25 percent vertically, and double the width. That would give plenty of room for two people to pass each other to get inside. Also, a port every couple of meters on the tubes would probably be good, so that anyone moving through them wouldn't be blind to the situation outside. I also agree with Cavebear's assertion on the landing jacks, but I would make twin ones going to each leg, meeting at the foot itself and forming a V.
    Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today. But the core of science fiction -- it's essence -- has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.

-- Isaac Asimov

Thanks for all the input! The gear are now retractable, below is an example of both deployed and stowed. I made the gangways wider (now almost 10 feet wide by 7 feet tall.) also added a possible support configuration for the gangway/feet and view ports, I will still need to add lighting though. I think I pretty close to a finished configuration - now on to the fun stuff (Details! )

Name:	troop11.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	87473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop10.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	87472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop9.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	87471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop7.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	87469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop8.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	87470  

Modify the boarding ramps for personnel. They are tp complex to permit a rapid deployment of troops.

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast