Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Franz Joseph Fleet

The Franz Joseph Fleet

Hello all. Here is my latest attempt at the ships from Franz Joseph's Star Trek Technical Manual. Starting with the Federation Class Dreadnought.

Some may recall that I'd done the lion's share of the work on this ship many years ago. But going back to it (and the Ptolemny, the Saladin, and most importantly aridas sofia's Surya) I had been increasingly unhappy with them from an topology perspective. In know these designs are never going to get me into the Insane Detail Club, but even so they struck me as clunky. So I'm retackling these with an eye towards mesh effeciency. So far I have used zero booleans on this so I hope it's a much tidier mesh. I also don't have any parts of the mesh intersecting each other. Hopefully this gives it a more "physical model" look. Even if it doesn't it's helping my own discipline. I think it is at any rate.

I'm also changing my work flow so that when I get a piece done I do the texture unwrapping at the same time. I hope this will prevent my usual process of "modeling is done time to start texturing mesh is never seen again".

Oh, I've also started using Blender's new Cycles render engine. So I'm trying to get as close as I ever have to the classic TOS nacelles. It's not perfect yet (and I haven't tried to animate it) but it's gaining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_saladin_002.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	98124  
    Last edited by Tallguy; 29th Jun 2012 at 20:20. Reason: New image
    -- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
    Blender, GIMP, Inkscape
    WIPs: The Franz Joseph Fleet, Jeffries Shuttle

"All I ask is a tall ship..."

great project idea, and looks to be an excellent start too!

I have always loved the Franz Joseph stuff, not least because of the story of how it came about! A father's love for his daughter is a fine, fine thing.

Are you going to do one saucer mesh and then kit-bash around it?
    Jennifer Linsky
    "When first my brave Jenny lass came to this town, she had a blue bonnet that wanted a crown..." --Robbie Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Are you going to do one saucer mesh and then kit-bash around it?
    No, the saucer for the dreadnought is quite different than the saucer on the destroyer, tug, and of course the heavy cruiser. But the warp engines will serve just fine for all four ships.
    -- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
    Blender, GIMP, Inkscape

You already know I like it, Bill. Franz Joseph's work is awesome and your 3D version is looking schweet.

I still have my copy of the technical manual close by.

Great work on the Federation so far!
    Must say I'm not a big fan of this designs, but I do like them.
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

Looks like a good start Bill!
    Yes... I know the feeling about doing textures. Tedious work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rekkert View Post
    Great work on the Federation so far!
    Must say I'm not a big fan of this designs, but I do like them.
    The dreadnought was my least favorite of the FJ ships (so I don't know why I'm dusting this one off first). I'm very partial to the Saladin destroyer. I'll most likely do David Nielsen's (aka aridas sofia, aka Mickey the Finn, aka Deloris) Surya and then the Saladin.

No progress today. I've unwrapped the saucer and now I'm cutting in the four windows / sensors on the top and holes for the torpedoes and phasers. (Happiness is figuring out how to quickly re-do UV maps for places I've cut holes into.)
    -- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
    Blender, GIMP, Inkscape

SFM Nugget
    I love the dreadnought! Built my own high-poly monstrosity version of her for LightWave a couple of years back. I always thought the ship just oozed power and pugilism. Love it to death.

Only critiques I have are:

• Not so crazy about the temp hull texture. It looks repeated, and is distracting
    • Bump map is a little too strong on the secondary hull. Makes the ship look ridged.

Aside from that, love the bussard caps, the low poly count, and the look of the mesh as a whole. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Avindair View Post
    I love the dreadnought! Built my own high-poly monstrosity version of her for LightWave a couple of years back. I always thought the ship just oozed power and pugilism. Love it to death.

Only critiques I have are:

• Not so crazy about the temp hull texture. It looks repeated, and is distracting
    • Bump map is a little too strong on the secondary hull. Makes the ship look ridged.

Aside from that, love the bussard caps, the low poly count, and the look of the mesh as a whole. Well done!
    Thank you for the critique.

Is it still low poly if you subdivide it to death?

The temp texture is, well, temp. But how do you mean repeated? It isn't tiled if that's what you mean. But it is re-used for each component (saucer, neck, sec hull, pylons, engines). I'll give them all more distinctive textures in final.

Bump map: I'll play around with the strength of it. I want it to look a little ridged since I've been looking at real life submarines and jet liners. The all have that longitudinal (is that the right direction?) ripple to them. I actually need to add it to the engines and around the rim of the saucer. IMHO it gives it more of a sense of scale.

Thanks again for the comments. Always good to learn. Your DN looks great. I'm only looking at it out of the corner of my eye since I'm trying to keep my own ideas.
    -- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
    Blender, GIMP, Inkscape

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast