Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Talon's starship designs of miscellany

What do you do the drawings with?

Sorry, somehow missed this post until now. These drawings are just standard pen and ink illustrations. The earlier ones are then finished off with markers for the shading and what not, with the latter ones I take the straight black and white line work and scan them in the computer and finish off with shading in Photoshop over the original hand drawn line work.

Oh, and then there was also the Orion starfighter which I did a little experimentation with creating several layers of illustration featuring the inner workings of the ship. The version you see here is just all the line work layers all gathered together, but for the final piece I then printed them out on to acetate sheets so you could layer up the detail with a final sheet showing the outer hull. I then painted onto the line work on the acetate to complete the effect and then you could flip each layer up to reveal the guts of the ship's concept design. Will have to dig that out sometime, haven't checked out the original piece in years.
    Last edited by TALON_UK; 21st Sep 2012 at 01:16.

I really dig this thread... and I know what you mean, I have atleast a thousand, unfinshed, models/projects on my main computer alone. And it's literally a @$%#^ shame how many unfinished ones I have on my external drives. I really need to get to work on those. Great work, it's really refreshing to see some good old fashioned scetches btw; something I don't do nearly enough of anymore.
    To find some pretty good, free and inexpensive software applications, as well as other stuff, click here.

Cheers, yeah, tell me about it. It seems I have so many things going on at the moment that it feels like an age since I've just been able to sit down and get creative and do some modelling/design work. Going to have to set some time aside to do that soon or I'll end up going mental.

Sorry, I somehow missed your answer to my question till just now (going to have to get into the habit of subscribing to a thread). I would almost like to take a crack at that Orion starfighter with Tie like end pieces.

Anyway. Your work is beautiful. It isn't as easy to come up with new ship designs (given all that have come before) as one might think.

Really nice concepts here.
    We could have used you on the SFM film project. Sadly that died a slow a painful death.
    “Well, I guess wiping out 2 billion people sort of qualifies as a dick move. - Guerrilla
    Current Project:- Working in 2D and getting back into 3D.
    My Blog

Hey Talon_UK, really like your stuff, hope you don't mind I took a stab at the shuttle today. One thing I'm learning from this is that I tend to make my details too small. for instance I need to rework the engine cowlings, they need to be beefier and the fins are too small...

Now I can add some of your stuff to MY list of unfinished work...

Steve
    Last edited by Starrigger; 24th Nov 2012 at 06:12.

Cheers for the nice comments Freak, nice work Starrigger, that's a really good start on that shuttle design, this one didn't get used in the game it was concepted for, so this is the first time I've seen it in 3d. Literally all the crits I would give you, you've already given yourself, chunkier curvier cowlings on the engines, and perhaps you need to lengthen the front section a touch, is just really good to see it in 3d, interestingly out of all the designs featured in this thread, this is the one I was most interested in seeing someone work on, so good choice.

Take 2: Changed the cowlings and lengthened the front section

Cool, looks much better, really loving your take on this, nice details around the back too that you can't see in my original sketch. So that's what that bit looks like.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast