Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Talon's starship designs of miscellany

More Detail...

SFM Guru
    Neat!
    But, somehow the tail and engines reminds me of the passenger liner in The 5th Element.
    So, Schroedinger's Cat walks into a bar ... and doesn't.

Heh, I think you maybe thinking more of the bad guys' star fighters perhaps? Didn't they have a tri-wing engine configuration? The starliner was more like a naval cruise ship in design, that said, it has been that long since I saw The Fifth Element last I could be mistaken.

Anyway, looking at the additional detail to this ship, I like what is going on with the lift thrusters, especially the one under the nose which has a nice touch integrating the nozzle into the shape of the underside of the fuselage, but I'm not totally sold on the main thrusters to the rear, perhaps they just need to be better integrated into the rear cowling of the engines? Maybe if the cowling recess was curved and ran deeper like the front of them there would be more room to allow those thrusters to appear more integrated into the engine, perhaps if the thrusters were a bit longer as well that would help differentiate them from the lift thrusters too.

Really liking the near orbital shot, that is looking great, a real pleasure to see this coming together Starrigger, if you want any other pointers on the possible finer details just give us a shout. One other thing to consider is the fact that I envisioned this as a multitasking workhorse of a spacecraft with interchangeable modules, hence the reason why the passenger compartment is so boxy while the rest of the craft is fairly streamline. So I saw that passenger module as a detachable component which could be switched with a cargo or fuel tanker slug style module so that it could perform multiple duties in a similar fashion to the classic Eagle spacecraft from Space 1999, so when it comes to the finer detailing you might want to take that into consideration in case you wanted to add latches or locking mechanisms of some sort to suggest this detachable nature of the module. Anyway great to see this developing as I said earlier, looking forward to seeing more, thanks for putting the time and effort into realizing this design in 3d, it's much appreciated.

Some new changes to the Shuttle: Changed the cockpit view ports, to give it a since of scale.. changed the rear part of the engines too. I think the landing gear will also need rethinking if I make the cargo boxes interchangeable.

SFM Nugget
    I'm not a fan of the top engine pod. I think it unbalances the ship and would cause it to pitch downwards if those engines were used.

The A380-ness of the front is very nice...retro even...
    "Like a man says, 'There are no problems, only solutions'." - Kevin Flynn

SFM Nugget
    I like this.

For the landing pads if you do make the cargo pods interchangeable I'd suggest one on each side engine/wing and one on the base of the "nose". Looking really good.

Also digging it. It actually makes me think of the ship from the original Total Recall.

New Cape Quest, Ft. Gore, Florida, NORPAC Confederation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafit View Post
    I'm not a fan of the top engine pod. I think it unbalances the ship and would cause it to pitch downwards if those engines were used.
    Agreed. If you swapped the position of the engines with that radiator section below it, I think that would bring a great deal of balance to the design.
    NewCapeQuest.com - For all you closet seaQuest fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DGWilliams View Post
    Agreed. If you swapped the position of the engines with that radiator section below it, I think that would bring a great deal of balance to the design.
    I had to take a look at the last posted picture and I think you have something there. It would make sense to switch them around.
    Veni Vidi Visa
    Voltaire: “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”
    Christopher Hitchens: “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast