Page 25 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Vir Inter Astrum Reboot

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the way the rotating arms fold and retract to conform to the hull when despun. The rotating arms of the US ships that barely retract always kinda bothered me, not that they don't look great (they DO look great ), but i always thought the US engineers would delve in the hellish pits of overengineering to have fully retracting conformal rotating habitats^^ Maybe they learnt the hard way to have simple and practical systems.

It might be a little bit too late to suggest that, but is there any chance that on the second sheet we see the arms in both folded and extended position?

@Stonecold: Appart from the overal layout "weapon section/spin habitat/propulsion" similarity, i don't see much of the much more sleek Moscow in it.
    Last edited by Khay; 18th May 2013 at 15:10.
    I'm just here for the Vir Inter Astrum threads

Downloads
    Uploads
    the big hatches are missile silos and the square thingys above and below the hatches are the retros. As far as the class name, I haven't come up with one, the only background I'm thinking is that it is a very new design and is meant as a war loss replacement. If you have any ideas, just email me. And I think a nod to the Moscow can surely be added!

@Khay, Maybe the boondoggles of the F-22, F-35, and Littorial Combat Ship finally taught the US military industrial complex to keep it simple.
    Last edited by bbzwbbzw; 18th May 2013 at 15:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW, do you use "Normal push-pull" ? Since it left a lot of garbage, when used on curved surfaces.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does. I use this plugin http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22920 to take care of most of it automatically. I usually run it just once per session.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For now, I`m trying to work with Vector Push Pull. It provides some results without much garbage geometry. But thanx once again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tonight's update. I think it's gone from the 'this looks like crap and isn't going to work' phase to the 'ok, maybe it will.'
    one.

Playing around with the idea that the radiators fold out like so when it is jumping
    Last edited by bbzwbbzw; 20th May 2013 at 00:17.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Regarding the radiators: The artist in me says, "Neat!" The engineer in me says, "a cruciform shape is the best way to radiate heat. Less bouncing of the infrared radiation that way." Now, a deployable droplet radiator array that sprays coolant back to the hull would also be interesting to see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Closed ones looks better IMHO. Open ones will radiate heat hell knows where, both on each other and back on the hull too. So, my guess - leave them be a "hull-conformal" radiators. Add another set of deployable ones, id you think they are needed. That was the solution for Moscow class, any way.

2 Mikey-B: Droplet radiator array was on HRE corvette, which was never completed. Maybe I`ll rebuild the model later, if I`ll get the right mood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think I'll just keep them hull conformal then.

SFM Nugget
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The UEO frigate is coming along very nicely! I live the vertical orientation and the folding spin habitats are neat. Can't stop looking at the US frigate though; I LOVE the design.

-Will