Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Enterprise Era ships

Enterprise Era ships

Recently, I've been on an Enterprise binge. Say what you will about the story quality, but in my opinion, the pre-federation earth ships just have an awesome look to them. Sadly, there's not many of these ships, so I started tinkering about with my own designs.

This is also a bit of a reimagning, inspired by Masao Okazaki's Starfleet Museum. There will be long walls of text, and departures from on-screen canon.

*ahem* without further ado, a blocked in Starfleet Corvette.

The nose of the ship, with two crew-analogs in the background. The nose will feature a deflector dish, similar to the one carried by Enterprise.

The tail is the most roughed-in area at the moment. I'm flipping between more rocket-like engines, or something closer to normal impulse drive. In any case, the impulse engines take their feed off the main fusion reactor.

- - - Fluff time!
    A tiny, fusion powered ship, the Delta class was among the first to mount Dr. Archer's "Wildcat" engine. Unlike the enormous ring-shaped warp coils of the Vulcan fleet, Cochrane's original nacelles pumped highly energized plasma around a series of much tighter coils. While much more energy-efficient, allowing the Pheonix to break the light barrier using only a tiny fission reactor, it produced a dangerously unstable warp field. Even with advanced computer monitoring, Cochrane's engines could only manage warp one point eight, and then only though sheer brute force.

Archer's Wildcat engine solved the instability with two staging coils, the famous "Catamarans" where energized plasma is cajoled into behaving properly, allowing higher speeds with far less energy consumption. The Delta class, despite their diminutive size, can cruise at warp two point five, and have been known to punch it up to warp two-nine for brief periods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-6-13_RC7_textured_PostProcessedNacelles.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	105471  

Looking good so far.

I love Enterprise, I've been rewatching the series on DVD. I'm up to the episode Minefield.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    Looking good so far.

I love Enterprise, I've been rewatching the series on DVD. I'm up to the episode Minefield.
    I think of all the trek shows, it feels the most real. Enterprise looks like a prototype cobbled together from off-the-shelf parts. The Crew are all very human and relateable (even Plox. Plox is hilarious) Really, the only gripes I have is the proliferation of tech more advanced that should be available (transporters, for one) and T'Pol's outfit.

Odd you should mention Minefield though. I literally watched that yesterday!

- - -
    I had a sudden burst of productivity, and hammered out some more goodies. The Hull RCS quads, impulse engines, warp nacelles, and some of the Cat detailing is all knocked in.

The Hull RCS. Might be a little much for this little bird. But operationally she splits the difference between a fighter and a true starship, and thus needs to throw her weight around more.

I roughed out a lot of the Warp Nacelle. The inner flux chillers need to be mounted, as does the end cap, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with these. The only thing that bothers me is they might be better suited on a bigger, more "modern" M/AM powered cruiser, rather than a dinky fusion corvette.

Detailed up the stern a touch. Got some cooling grilles on the Cats. (Don't ask me why those work in space. The NX-01 had them, so I'll assume there somehow needed for the wildcat system.)
    I also went with rocket-looking exhausts for the Impulse engines, to give the impression that this a much older ship than we're used to. (How much older I'm not sure, maybe I'll retcon the Wildcat from being Henry Archer's invention.)

- - - More Fluff!
    Even with the wildcat to improve fuel efficiency, a Delta is mostly ordnance and armor, with only about 15% of her volume devoted to fuel stores. This makes her much more depended on bases or refueling ships. As Starfleet's main concern at the time was Orion pirates, the limited combat range was considered a justifiable trade-off given the Delta's low cost and powerful ordnance loadout.

Nice start on the detailing. She'll definitely be maneuverable with all of those thrusters.

I preferred just about every ship other than the NX Class
    Ships like the Trident, Baton Rouge Class, The Patton and the others from the Space Flight Chronology is actually what we should have seen. This is similar to those. Missiles, Impulse driven Warp Drive, pre Di-lithium and laser weaponry.

I don't think there should have been an Enterprise.
    These ships are closer to what we are today, visceral , sparse and rugged. It should have looked alot like sub warfare.
    Opening of Star Trek Secion 31

" You believe your world is safe? It is an illusion, a comforting lie told to protect you. We deal with threats to the Federation. Threats that jeopardize its very survival. If you knew how many lives we've saved... you'd agree... the ends justify the means." ~Galo Saldivia

Quote Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
    I preferred just about every ship other than the NX Class
    Ships like the Trident, Baton Rouge Class, The Patton and the others from the Space Flight Chronology is actually what we should have seen. This is similar to those. Missiles, Impulse driven Warp Drive, pre Di-lithium and laser weaponry.

I don't think there should have been an Enterprise.
    These ships are closer to what we are today, visceral , sparse and rugged. It should have looked alot like sub warfare.
    I don't see how Enterprise doesn't qualify as sparse and rugged. You can't stand up in the CO's quarters without risking banging your head, the ship gets torn apart a few times, the transporter is a primitive and dangerous system, etc. I admit the Enterprise era departs from what later quasi-canon tells us of that era, but it's a natural outgrowth of First Contact. Relations with the Vulcans are tense, Earth's ships are clunky and sparse, there's an admiral who's not insane, and the uniforms actually look decent for once (especially the Admiral's dress uniform. Gotta love the tie).

For this project, I'm planning on splitting the difference between the two canons. Phasers (or at least phase-canon) are the norm, but thermonuclear missiles are the go-to heavy hitter. Energy shielding is primitive, even among those species that have it. Transporters are unheard of, and all transport is done via shuttles or docking.

I'm also splitting Star Fleet and the United Earth Space Probe Agency. Star Fleet is the military arm, and gets the more advanced, better armed and armored ships like Delta or my revision of the NX class. UESPA, operates the scientific side, running research projects and deploying a handful of Daedalus class exploration cruisers. The Daedalus has its distinctive very simple look as a cost-cutting measure. More on that in a future update.
    - - -
    Knocked a lot more out of the good o'l Delta.

I detailed up the Warp engines. There's now visible coils on both sides of the nacelle, and the tubular roll-cage along each engine. The dorsal fins are slightly inspired by the JJprise, and the grille at the end is based off the pilot version of the TOS enterprise.

You can also see the aft RCS unit, and some roughed-in structure in the hull. I still need to finish up the nacelle/pylon interface, and add more greebles to the hull trench, but it's a lot better than it was.

Another look at the aft RCS. Not as many nozzles here, because the aft hull is mostly the Wildcat drive and fuel, moving the CG further forwards.

Speaking of the wildcat, I extended the upper Cats and sleeked them up. While the aft half of the cat is still full of plasma-stabilizers, the forward lobe serves as a cowling for the point-defense phaser turrets.

Looking great so far.

People have to realize that, with the amount of times Kirk, Picard and Sisko and Janeway messed around in the past, that Enterprise is probably in a different timeline than TOS anyway, so it's all good.

I'm liking this very much! I was going to say that the nacelle don't look right for a ship of this size, but the end cap you added makes it look a lot smaller than before, great job!
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    Looking great so far.

People have to realize that, with the amount of times Kirk, Picard and Sisko and Janeway messed around in the past, that Enterprise is probably in a different timeline than TOS anyway, so it's all good.
    Quite possibly. I've found Enterprise is best views as if it were the only Star Trek show (one of the reasons I liked the title before they added "star trek")
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekkert View Post
    I'm liking this very much! I was going to say that the nacelle don't look right for a ship of this size, but the end cap you added makes it look a lot smaller than before, great job!
    Thanks! Nice to hear people enjoy my stuff. I might still swap the nacelles out for something a little simpler, but I'm satisifed for
    now.

- - -
    Now, it seems today was a surprisingly productive day, and I got some more knocked out!

Added some fairing to the Nacelle/pylon interface.

Added a fuel-tank thingy between the Cats. Might get rid of it later, but I like how it breaks up the clean lines and makes the ship look a little fugly and primitive.

Last but not least, the Deflector! Right now, it's more TOS dish than TNG blue. Might add in some blue as a backdrop like in ENT, but I kinda like it how it is now.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast