Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Shandor AKA Spook Central

That's my worry about older films on Blu-Ray, that the picture won't really be any better due to the age.

Austin, Texas,USA,Earth,Sol System,001,Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way
    The older Star Trek movies look pretty good but sometimes it's hard to get rid of the age. Still a lot better then DVD.

Here is a quick update before I start digging into the base. Tall spires and obelisks finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Shandor Building WIP20.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	105702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Shandor Building WIP19.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	105701  
    "Hey watch where you are going dumba#$." -Taxi Driver
    "Well double dumba#$ on you."-Admiral James T. Kirk

My DeviantArt Page
    http://stfanboy.deviantart.com/gallery/

That's looking great.

The movie's digital quality will vary based on how good of shape the original was in before it was remastered and on who is doing the remastering. Whoever did the remastering for a lot of the Star Trek DVDs did a great job and they may have had a better film master to work from. So, it's not surprising their Blu-Rays look good too. Some movies aren't preserved well enough and whoever does the remastering does what they can with them.

Well this is a little set back. I was going to use Google Street View since there are HD pictures taken everywhere. Would of been a great idea until this. LOL Scaffolding happened.

Name:	Just my luck.  .jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	105714  

My DeviantArt Page

Not quite what I was planning on but it will do for now. Maybe it would look better when I give it some color in the next update.

Name:	The Shandor Building WIP22.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	403.4 KB 
ID:	105769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Shandor Building WIP23.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	105770  

My DeviantArt Page

It looks good to me. You did the best you could, since the building is being worked on. Though, I don't know why they didn't clear it with you first.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    That's my worry about older films on Blu-Ray, that the picture won't really be any better due to the age.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Older films, when properly mastered, benefit more from Blu Ray resolution and colour reproduction than most new movies do. The older Ghostbusters blu ray release was a bit hit and miss, but even at its worst it is many times clearer, sharper and deeper than any previous release. The newly remastered edition, struck from the original negative at 4k res, apparently looks nearly flawless. I haven't watched this disc though but it has got very good reviews for image quality.

That's looking great.

The movie's digital quality will vary based on how good of shape the original was in before it was remastered and on who is doing the remastering. Whoever did the remastering for a lot of the Star Trek DVDs did a great job and they may have had a better film master to work from. So, it's not surprising their Blu-Rays look good too.
    ST:TMP blu ray looks very good, so does Trek II. But all the films have had digital noise reduction applied to some degree or another. Star Trek III is passable but it has heavy digital noise reduction which makes faces look waxy. In the case of Trek III at least the detail levels haven't been that badly affected by noise reduction. But the rest of the films look terrible. Star Trek IV and VI look like they've had a photoshop paint filter applied - most fine detail is totally wiped away, faces even lose mouths and eyes at times! V is marginally better but then again, who wants to watch it anyway? The classic Trek movie blu rays were done on the cheap.

Only the first two recieved new hi definition transfers, the rest used existing high-def masters that were prepared for the DVD releases. These were done with a view to downscaling to standard definition so not much attention was paid to removing small pieces of film damage as these wouldn't be readily visible on a standard def display. Similarly they had a lot of artificial sharpening and edge enhancement applied as this gives the picture the illusion of greater clarity when seen on a standard def display.

Ironically, the best looking Trek material on blu ray is the oldest. The original series' original film elements were obviously quite well preserved and clearly, a lot of effort was spent on erasing film damage, because they look fantastic. They also show the benefit of an entirely film-based production pipeline, unlike TNG which though shot on film, was entirely post-produced on video at standard def res, which meant many effects shots have had to be redone for the blu rays - with extremely variable results in terms of quality. I personally don't care for the CGI effects that were done on TOS HD however but at least on the blu ray releases you can choose which version to watch.
    Last edited by Wishbone_Ash; 2nd Oct 2013 at 07:53.

It looks good to me. You did the best you could, since the building is being worked on. Though, I don't know why they didn't clear it with you first.
    LOL well I still had pictures off the net but Google has some nice HD pictures. Really wanted to use those in Street View. My biggest problem was the large brick work. Some how they didn't come out right compared to the smaller bricks. Besides that's not the interesting part. The temple and the weird thingy (roof cap?) on top is.. I can't wait to start on that bad boy.

My DeviantArt Page

Late to the party as usual!
    Get the devil dogs up on the roof stat!
    Great work!
    Slow, repetitious, lacking originality, please continue.....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast