Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: scifieric's Blender USS Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris 004 View Post
    That is a beautiful Connie. I really need to update my computer and mess around with some of Blenders newer features.
    Thank you very much, Polaris 004!

When you do, don't forget to check out (and install) the Filmic Color Management System for Blender!

http://www.creativeshrimp.com/filmic...-tutorial.html

https://github.com/sobotka/filmic-blender
    Last edited by scifieric; 27th Jan 2018 at 13:56. Reason: More information.

I just heard about Filmic Blender this week. The bad news is I use 3ds max. The good news is that Filmic Blender is built in OCIO, so I was able to port it over the Vray in 3ds max as well as Adobe After Effects. I used Filmic Blender to render this shot of nighfever's Enterprise-A. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by PixelMagic View Post
    I used Filmic Blender to render this shot of nighfever's Enterprise-A. Love it!
    Great job PixelMagic!

Damn! That looks like a REAL object!

That is amazing, it looks just like a still from the TV series.

I'm loving filmic as well.

Do you mind me asking what lighting you are using? Are you using lamps, emitter planes or HDRI?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Monster View Post
    That is amazing, it looks just like a still from the TV series.

I'm loving filmic as well.

Do you mind me asking what lighting you are using? Are you using lamps, emitter planes or HDRI?
    I don't mind any question!

For the most part, emitter planes. But I recently starting using a spot lamp on the underside of the Saucer. As near as I can figure out, that is how they lit the real model.

On top of that, I have the whole thing (models, planes, spot lamps) inside a large box that is made invisible to the camera. That simulates the environment that the model was filmed in during the 1960's. It works REALLY well. If you make the box blue, it can even simulate the blue spill from the blue screens used.

I hope that answers everything!

And thank you for the compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by scifieric View Post
    I don't mind any question!

For the most part, emitter planes. But I recently starting using a spot lamp on the underside of the Saucer. As near as I can figure out, that is how they lit the real model.

On top of that, I have the whole thing (models, planes, spot lamps) inside a large box that is made invisible to the camera. That simulates the environment that the model was filmed in during the 1960's. It works REALLY well. If you make the box blue, it can even simulate the blue spill from the blue screens used.

I hope that answers everything!

And thank you for the compliment!
    That is a top-drawer answer. Nicely done!

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    That is a top-drawer answer. Nicely done!
    Thank you Samurai! If illustrations are needed, I'm happy to oblige!

Slight change to the bridge.

I followed an illustration by Gary Kerr for the body of the bridge and also made the top sensor dome larger. Supposedly this was done following the effects shots for The Trouble with Tribbles episode.

Quote Originally Posted by scifieric View Post
    And for fun, here's a shot to simulate the "blue spill" from blue screens of the day. That, and the occasional color gel over the lights.
    You know, I've been trying to simulate this with Global Illumination and a simple mockup of the bluescreen studio based on photos I found, and I've come to the conclusion that the "blue spill" wasn't actually colour spill at all.

If you think about it, the only part of the ship that would really pick up a lot of blue is the part facing the blue screen itself, and away from the camera. Any meaningful colour spill from the background would only be visible to the camera in specular reflections, especially around the edges due to the fresnel effect.

I actually think the blue tint was more the result of film stock and processing techniques at the time, rather than lighting. Possibly even a result of them trying to balance the colours to compensate for the blue reflections.

Quote Originally Posted by APEPAAAH View Post
    You know, I've been trying to simulate this with Global Illumination and a simple mockup of the bluescreen studio based on photos I found, and I've come to the conclusion that the "blue spill" wasn't actually colour spill at all.

If you think about it, the only part of the ship that would really pick up a lot of blue is the part facing the blue screen itself, and away from the camera. Any meaningful colour spill from the background would only be visible to the camera in specular reflections, especially around the edges due to the fresnel effect.
    Interesting speculation, but in the end, the blue screen did indeed affect the color of the ship. You'll notice on certain shots that the Enterprise is more blue around the edges and greying in the middle ... from any angle. That is (of course) impossible. The only explanation is blue screen spill.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast