Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Class Starship in Blender

Hybrid View

Springfield Class Starship in Blender

Okay. With the paint of my last project still drying in spacedock, I am looking around for my next fix... er, I mean my next build. I have decided to have a go at the Springfield Class. Mostly, because I already have constructed meshes of the other "Wold 359" ships, such as the Freedom, Cheyenne, and New Orleans Classes. After this build, the only Wolf 359 ship I would have left would be the Niagra Class, and I don't think I am ever going to go there... Blech.

On the other hand, I wasn't ever going to build the Springfield Class either... I had thought it sorta dull and flat looking. But I was perusing the schematics, and I think I'm starting to see its appeal. So... here we go...

I'm starting in with the basic shapes. I don't see anything very difficult, this should be a pretty simple build.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield Construction (61).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	114974  
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 9th Feb 2018 at 02:29.
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Nice start. After this, you'll have all of the Galaxy kitbashes from that episode.

The Cheyenne class nacelles are frumpy... but they're also quite versatile. Looking forward to your project!
    Jennifer Linsky
    "When first my brave Jenny lass came to this town, she had a blue bonnet that wanted a crown..." --Robbie Burns

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    Nice start. After this, you'll have all of the Galaxy kitbashes from that episode.
    Exactly. My life is going to be that much more awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The Cheyenne class nacelles are frumpy... but they're also quite versatile. Looking forward to your project!
    Thanks! I like the nacelle design too. They seem like they may be a slightly more basic design, something that can be deployed with less resources, but still might be very solid and effective?

I'm still working on the basic shapes. I think I like the secondary hull shape I have here. I'm putting it up against my New Orleans Class Saucer to give a better sense of the effect.

I did some work on the weapon pod and then realized that the sensor strip is blocked by the nacelles. D'OH! That will have to be changed.

Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 21:14.
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Making progress. Seems like I am on track so far.

Deflector grid, Phasers, Thusters, Bridge and Aztec.

Same beneath, all pretty standard stuff, by now.

These nacelles are complete rebuilds. They look nearly identical to the old nacelles, but the build is much cleaner and more controlled than the old nacelles.

Close up of the basic bridge Layout.

Here's what I am thinking of for a shuttle bay. Placement makes sense, though It would mean that the non-pylon part of the secondary hull would be almost entirely a shuttle bay.
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 21:22.

Depends on what you want to sense, I suppose.
    Jennifer Linsky
    "When first my brave Jenny lass came to this town, she had a blue bonnet that wanted a crown..." --Robbie Burns

Looking great so far.

The Cheyenne and Springfield nacelles are highlighters.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    Looking great so far.

The Cheyenne and Springfield nacelles are highlighters.

Yeah, I used to make them look more like the original shape in the front, but I never did find a bussard collector design that looked good on the front of that shape, when taken literally. I saw someone of the boards use a configuration like this one and instantly wanted to monkey-do them that way myself. I don't remember who it was now, but I did get his permission.

Design and raw imnagination is not my strong suit. (Actually, when it comes to this hobby, I don't really have a strong suit.)

I find my momentum slowing on this mesh, as I am now to the part that requires me to make creative decisions. This is where I've come to:

Saucer windows are cut, made some improvements to the bridge area. Slimmed the wepons pod down along the z axis. I decided the whole thing is just going to be tucked down between the nacelles. The thing just looked too huge otherwise.

Underside box windows are done. I am thinking about whether or not I want to put the slit windows in on the underside. Looks sorta plain without them, but I am sorta partial to only having the box type windows. Opinions?

Weapon pod and connecting pylons are going to need a LOT more detail to sell them. Still thinking about the connecting pylons. I think they need to be thinner. And maybe a tripod configuration instead of four pylons.

Those red areas are going to be impulse engines. Not only for improved maneuverability; I have decided this whole pod will be capable of detaching and providing another vector of attack during battle. So I will want to make clear that it has its own power source. Still lots of detail to add.

But overall I'm pretty happy with my progress. I like this configuration much more now that I'm building her.
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 21:26.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I have the basic approaches worked out, and now it's just a matter of finishing all the details up.

I still have to add some details, but the weapon pod is definitely coming along.

Here's what I went with for connecting pylons. I wanted something familiar but distinctive to this class, and I think I'm happy with my choice. It should detail up nicely.

She looks really good from this angle.

One version of the original studio model had an additional deflector module connected to the saucer. It looked about like this. I like the idea of the additional module. It could be a configuration designed for personnel transport. But I do not care for the connectors, and I will be going a different direction.

In order to create that new module, I actually snagged my Galaxy Class secondary hull in an early step of its creation and then modified it. It really saved a bunch of work. That deflector dish is a bitch to get just so.

I have another project or two that is calling to me, and I may have to set this girl aside for a little while. But I'm really looking forward to finishing this mesh up...
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 21:31.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast