Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Class Starship in Blender

She continues to evolve and take shape. I think I have the saucer and secondary hull shapes about where I want them.

Not much to it. Now, I'll rebuild the nacelles and start in in the detailing.

I think I'm going to put a shuttlebay in the undercut of the secondary hull.

I think the deflector is going to be in the style of the secondary deflector on a Galaxy Class Saucer.
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 21:19.
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

It's looking great. Really nice work on the secondary hull.

Making progress. Seems like I am on track so far.

Deflector grid, Phasers, Thusters, Bridge and Aztec.

Same beneath, all pretty standard stuff, by now.

These nacelles are complete rebuilds. They look nearly identical to the old nacelles, but the build is much cleaner and more controlled than the old nacelles.

Close up of the basic bridge Layout.

Here's what I am thinking of for a shuttle bay. Placement makes sense, though It would mean that the non-pylon part of the secondary hull would be almost entirely a shuttle bay.
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 21:22.
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

You could always make the shuttlebay accessible from the underside of the saucer using something like the cargo doors on the Galaxy. As a matter of fact they could be dual use doors: Open them up and you could either stop off at one deck that's a shuttle bay or go up another deck to a cargo bay.
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

Your skill evolved a lot!
    The mesh is looking Great!

I find my momentum slowing on this mesh, as I am now to the part that requires me to make creative decisions. This is where I've come to:

Saucer windows are cut, made some improvements to the bridge area. Slimmed the wepons pod down along the z axis. I decided the whole thing is just going to be tucked down between the nacelles. The thing just looked too huge otherwise.

Underside box windows are done. I am thinking about whether or not I want to put the slit windows in on the underside. Looks sorta plain without them, but I am sorta partial to only having the box type windows. Opinions?

Weapon pod and connecting pylons are going to need a LOT more detail to sell them. Still thinking about the connecting pylons. I think they need to be thinner. And maybe a tripod configuration instead of four pylons.

Those red areas are going to be impulse engines. Not only for improved maneuverability; I have decided this whole pod will be capable of detaching and providing another vector of attack during battle. So I will want to make clear that it has its own power source. Still lots of detail to add.

But overall I'm pretty happy with my progress. I like this configuration much more now that I'm building her.
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 21:26.

It's looking really good. This has to be the toughest of the Wolf 359 ships to do because, to my knowledge, no good photos of the model exist. The best thing you have are one tiny pic and the HD screen caps and it's only a background ship, so it's still hard to see.

Slow and steady, very nice. Can't say I like the design much, but meh.... They needed some models for the Wolf-359 graveyard......
    See the Shadows of Darkness, Hear the Scream of Cruelty...

That's why I've became a Warrior of Heart, Defend the one you like, Guard the one you love...

VERY nice! This is definitely my favorite of the Wolf 359 ships.

I think it's looking pretty good so far, but you've got some challenging points ahead as you run out of "reference" and have to start thinking more creatively- I'm sure you'll get through this however.

As for the pod arrangement, rather than a tripod or "leg" approach, how about a "fin" style arrangement- for inspiration maybe consider the neck section of the 1701-A-era Enterprise, or the (slightly infamous) 3rd nacelle on the "future" Enterprise D. This way you'd have a sleeker overall design, and you could make a case for the pod actually being a modular, mission-specific addition with a universal attachment?

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast