Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: -= The NEW MKF random trek crap thread =-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Loving your panel work on this bird, and those disruptors look sweet, nice work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Took a break from it for most of the day but got bored killing little polygon greeks and tired of the bugs in the drawing prog so here I am pushing polies.

Mostly moved the visual observation blisters to flank the outside edges of the large disrupter cannons (or whatever the shoulder guns will be (might replace it with torps) While more exposed it give a better view of the extremities of the ship and still remain in a good position for visual targeting of those large guns. Got some panels in and created a inset for those aft turrets.

-= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, wastes most of the night attempting to do a worn paint effect as a procedural vs having to map all of it out. Sadly I do not think it is possible with what I have. I refuse to buy plugins or other renderers or run add-ons. IE box stock. Odd is it looked ok on the dummy object, but when applied to the model it just doesn't work. Also fail is my red material as it is blooming orange, need to swap the settings.

Anyhow gonna junk this idea as it takes FOREVER. I might try the toon-shader as a mix but not much hope in it.

ANYHOW, I got some sub panels down and a mess of little boxes.

-= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well this looks a bit better, Using a toon shader and AO shaders in a composite applied as a mask in a mix material with the red paint material and hull material. I think I can adjust this and work it so that it wont need to be contained in so many layers or able to add a blurred edge and possible highlights (bump or maybe a third surface to create depth) Anyhow I think this in of itself is a much improved result. Still slow due to the AO which sort of dulls the crisp effect of the ink and paint shader. Maybe doing inverted occlusion on the red diffuse and set strong can "burn" the paint some so it highlights the chips.

ATM I am able to control the "chips" with smoothing groups. It would be nice if I could control the AA or blur between the ink and paint itself.

oh chips is a celular shader in the ink slot. (ink size)

NOW the real issue is how it renders at various distances resolutions and in animation. Knowing my luck it wont scale or animate too nicely. The "cels" do seem to look like i need to invert them as it looks more like the inner area is worn vs the outer edges.

I could use this if it is stable for other things too like glossiness and matte areas etc. Maybe even a faster faked AO.

Yeah bummer does not look like it scales. Note the close up and distance renders. It is clearly the ink and paint causing issue. Need to find a way to do this with a shader that scales. Sadly that likely means a plug in /add on.
    -= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks pretty cool MKF!
    Building Models In 3D Studio MAX Since 1996 And Still Learning!

SFM Obsessed
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not feeling like painting and no time to game I decided to do some work on the Ship. Mostly just working up all those small plates and details. Sunk the turret housing into the hull adding some things that could be some sort of reinforced shield for the turret or whatever. I dunno yet if I will add any color onto some of the plating, or other hull markings.

Oh also some bits on the base of the wings that I forgot to upload.

-= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-

Downloads
    Uploads
    More lumps and bumps.

-= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow it's really popping now that you're adding the small plating details! Great job MKF! I can't wait to see this baby finished!
    Building Models In 3D Studio MAX Since 1996 And Still Learning!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some more bumps but on the bottom this time!

-= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-