Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't feel so bad about not seeing it now.

Of all the things I didn't like about the preview, the one that really bugs me, is that they're using the Enterprise delta badge as the badge for Starfleet, and they even have one on the back of a headrest on the bridge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The delta emblem has become synonymous with Starfleet, even though the correct Starfleet command emblem prior to TMP was the starburst emblem seen worn by command officers and Starbase personnel on TOS. As we all know, other ships and even outposts had their own emblems, much like unit patches in modern militaries. That was changed after Kirk's historic 5-year mission. The Enterprise emblem became *the* emblem for Starfleet. In the retconned beginning of Star Trek (2009) the Kelvin has that emblem. Presumably, that ship would be retired prior to the launch of the Enterprise in 2245, and the emblem was re-used for the Enterprise in the Prime Universe. However, in the Kelvin timeline, the destruction of the Kelvin allegedly made Starfleet adopt that emblem as its own. Why isn't answered, as the Kelvin was far from the first ship to be lost. Also, this is all conjecture that fits, as we never saw another ship in 2233.

So, the use of that emblem and the design style overall puts this show in the Kelvin timeline.
    Last edited by evil_genius_180; 18th May 2017 at 17:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rojren View Post
    It is funny what you see after a while or see the ship in other views. The above images it is clear there is a large snout deflector dish on the Shenzou.

I do not think those running things know much more about trek than the last 3 jj films. Pacing, tonality it is all jjtrek.

I wont be surprised if the Discovery itself is not much different from the sneak peak we got.
    -= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-

Downloads
    Uploads
    It won't be different at all. It's JJ-Trek for TV.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKoiFish View Post
    It is funny what you see after a while or see the ship in other views. The above images it is clear there is a large snout deflector dish on the Shenzou.

I do not think those running things know much more about trek than the last 3 jj films. Pacing, tonality it is all jjtrek.

I wont be surprised if the Discovery itself is not much different from the sneak peak we got.
    Well, we can't yet know about the pacing of the individual episodes.

But, yeah, this is the Kelvin-timeline for TV. With all the to and fro on the creative side of things and the... failure... of Beyond, they probably went in and retooled the whole show and shifted it from the Prime-timeline to the Kelvin one.
    Sephiroth: "I've thought of a wonderful present for you... Shall I give you despair?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pacing is in reference to the trailer is is very much a copycat of the jjtrek trailers.
    -= BLOG| WIP BLOG=-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
    Well, we can't yet know about the pacing of the individual episodes.

But, yeah, this is the Kelvin-timeline for TV. With all the to and fro on the creative side of things and the... failure... of Beyond, they probably went in and retooled the whole show and shifted it from the Prime-timeline to the Kelvin one.
    I'm assuming you mean financial failure in reference to Star Trek Beyond, because the movie was well received by critics. I personally feel it's the best of the three, I don't know why it under performed at the box office. It made money, it just didn't make enough money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    I'm assuming you mean financial failure in reference to Star Trek Beyond, because the movie was well received by critics. I personally feel it's the best of the three, I don't know why it under performed at the box office. It made money, it just didn't make enough money.
    Yes, financially, of course. I'd rate it the second best of the three.
    Sephiroth: "I've thought of a wonderful present for you... Shall I give you despair?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which one is your favorite?

I think, if we get good character development and the compelling storytelling with Discovery that Star Trek is known for, it will be good no matter which timeline it's set in. I can overlook the "ooh shiny" visual style if the show is done right. I sincerely hope there's a good explanation for the FUBAR Klingons.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The new Klingoids remind me of Necromongers from whatever Ridick movie that was.

Edit: happened upon this. I don't know if any of this is correct, but it's interesting.

https://youtu.be/3I3y3_QmBsQ
    Last edited by rojren; 2nd Jun 2017 at 19:25.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast