Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sovereign styled Nova

Hampton Roads. In SE Virginia? hit me up!

A Sovereign styled Nova

I figured that it was finally time to try emulating a canon ship. If you head to my Deviant Art or Warehouse pages, you'll see that I tend toward unusual designs for my Star Trek ships. (the Ranger is my favorite.) This is in part because I like the freedom of using my own ideas, but also because much of my modeling is happenstance and I fear I would do canon ships injustice.

I thought I'd start with the Nova Class because it is small, but not overly simple. A nice challenge. Turns out, I disagree with many of the basic ideas behind that ship.

The saucer is great and I like the mono-hull design. It has a nice squat, rough-and-tumble feel to it's general proportions. But, the engineering section is a potato. It is lumpy and meanders around frustratingly. The deflector dish is a non-sequitur. The impulse drive is mounted so far off the center of mass that it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

But, the Sovereign is a real beauty aesthetic design.

I'm hoping I can take the great proportions and basic idea of the Nova and add some Sovereign design styles. My new goal is to make a ship which is at least usable in scenes by having enough canon styling to not look out of place.

The Nacelles are stand-ins. A different shape will be used for them, but I wanted to try a mix of the Nova and Sovereign styles.

The Waverider shuttle outline is also a stand-in and is borrowed from Raul Mamoru's Nova model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	113713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	113712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP3.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	281.1 KB 
ID:	113714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 4.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	476.4 KB 
ID:	113715  

It looks good so far. I definitely like the bottom of the engineering section better than the canon version.

It is the bottom of the engineering section that got me started in this direction. I could have lofted between a series of cross-sectional plates, but there are so many different curves in the original ship from so many different directions that it was beyond my abilities.

The Sovereign curves are more pleasant and easier to create. (although, I still used a lofting technique)

Some of the original sketches show a simpler design, but the end result was somewhat different.

SFM Guru
    I like it

That's a lot of geometry you've got going on there! Which plugin did you use?

Primarily Curviloft by Lib Fredo. I use the "loft from spline curves" option for just about everything, but I usually make my spline curves very regular. I count the number of edges in curves to make sure they match up and I place curves close enough together so that I can just use Curviloft to draw all of the single lines between them (not inventing spline curves of it's own). There are one or two places where I've used the "skin from wireframe" option.

I also have discovered the joy of irregular bezier curves. There are a LOT of them in this model and I have a few plugins for it. I haven't decided which one I like best.
    Last edited by WideFoot; 29th Aug 2016 at 04:31.

Well, my computer just kicked it. So, I might not be updating for quite a while.

Grumble.

Sorry to hear that. I've been in that boat before, I know others here have too, so we feel your pain.

Sorry to hear about your PC, I like your design better than the original!
    Building Models In 3D Studio MAX Since 1996 And Still Learning!

All New - Check out Book #1 in the Tactical Advantage Series - Alien Genocide at seanpatrickposey.com

Seriously? What happened? HDD failure or a random component?

Good luck setting up a new rig man...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast