Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sovereign styled Nova

Hampton Roads. In SE Virginia? hit me up!
    I have started on the long and arduous task of greebling the ship.

My life lately has been eaten by 14-hour days at work (and I'll be working this holiday weekend, greeeat....), but I got a few holes cut into the sweep under the aft end, I put some windows in the back of the bridge, and I smoothed out the nacelles a bit

I'll probably work on this from the back to the front, mostly because I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a bridge yet.

After this, I will add some hull plates. Usually, I am meticulous about this step, but this time I'm going to try using Lib Fredo's joint push/pull tool and his tools-on-surface offset tool. It will add some annoying geometry and require more cleanup, but it will make the initial design steps much faster.

The final initial blocking geometry is also complete, so here is that mesh. (with some windows cut into the back of the bridge module.)

Looking good so far.

I really like this concept. Nice execution so far.

There is one thing I would like to suggest, though. The platform that the bridge will be sitting on doesn't flow very well into the lower platform behind it. Maybe you could consider setting up the region to flow on either side more like it is with the Sovereign, but instead of where the main shuttlebay door is you could use that as your observation room. Just an idea.
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

Well, the back side of that upper platform will be the observation room (the windows are already cut and everything!).

The lack of flow between those two platforms was a design idea I took from the Nova Class, which uses a similar series of platforms as it's spine.

But, I never really liked that area. I considered adding corner windows there, or something. But, that is just covering up a bad bit of design. You're right, it does need some smoothing. I can maintain the layered platform while adding some flow between the two.

Of course, this is not going to be an easy thing to build. hmmm...

Well, I looked at the back end of the Sovereign Class saucer where the main shuttle bay resides between two apparent smoothing struts. It turns out, that's an optical illusion because that shuttle bay is actually set into the standard curve of the saucer and the smoothing struts are very small. But, the stuff around it makes it look like two large struts on either side of the bay. Primarily, it is the large flat mass which happens to be directly above the bay which makes the regular curve of the saucer look like this.

And, to make things more complicated for me, the top of the engineering section of the Sovereign Class is at nearly the same angle as the dome of the saucer. That whole area is one of my favorite things about that design, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to replicate it here in the much more cramped space.

I did try an initial design. (This is not final at all; nothing was cut.) In favor of going this way, things flow a little better. In opposition, it crowds the spine somewhat frustratingly. It also will need a lot of thinking about how to make this shape with the best possible flow, and that will be hard.

I didn't have time to convey what I was trying to describe in my last post (like I realized that was already an observation room), but you nailed what I was thinking very well.
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

MOLON LABE

Well, I beat this thing into submission and got a smoothed transition between the decks which I like. Thank you for the suggestion! This was not easy, but it was worth it.

And, now I can get back to greebling.

Oooh, nice job. You took it in a slightly different direction, but it fits really well.

MOLON LABE

Well it definitely looks worth it to me. Great job!

What does it look like from the side?
    My Deviant Art Profile: http://psychyo.deviantart.com/

It's looking great so far dude!
    Building Models In 3D Studio MAX Since 1996 And Still Learning!

All New - Check out Book #1 in the Tactical Advantage Series - Alien Genocide at seanpatrickposey.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast