Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaceship "Electra" by I14R10

SFM Nugget
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spaceship "Electra" by I14R10

Hi Everyone

This is spaceship "Electra" (maybe? the name is also WIP) designed by me. For some time I wanted to design entire spaceship and this is the result. I have a short story behind this spaceship, but it's only bunch of ideas that need to be put together in a more complete story.

This is basic story.

420 years from today, fractures in space time are discovered in Alfa Centaury system. Later that same year they are discovered in Epsilon Eridani star system too. 1 year later they are discovered in Earth system. Normal matter can't fall into the fracture because of repulsive force from the fracture. But they have some other effect that is discovered later and it's a big danger to our universe. This ship is sent to investigate the fractures and see if they can be closed.
    That's all folks for now! Let's go to the art.

I'm working in blender. Cycles renderer is used for rendering images.

I had about 20 different ideas for the spaceship and I liked this one the most of all.
    I currently have basic structure and looks of 5 rooms in the spaceship. And I have two types of corridors. This is the first one

This is the second one. This one needs more work

I have 5 rooms that are early in the design phase. Engineering is one of them, but it's a bit more developed than the others

It's not a lot, but it's something. I should make more visible progress when I am done placing the corridors. There's not point in showing concept art that is not even half developed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	114745  
    Last edited by I14R10; 5th Sep 2017 at 23:41.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the exterior of the ship. However, the corridors look a lot like the ones in the Enterprise-D on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

SFM Nugget
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    However, the corridors look a lot like the ones in the Enterprise-D on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    Is that good or bad? But honestly, I don't see much resemblance although I do draw inspiration from Star Trek design.

I'll think about designing another more different corridor.

Last edited by I14R10; 31st Aug 2016 at 06:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't say it was exactly the same, but it is similar. Let's use some better screen shots, for one thing. I headed over to TrekCore and grabbed some HD screen shots from The Game, a season five episode that I knew had at least one chase through the corridors.

Your corridor ideas have a similar layout and overall look. You have lights along the base boards and ceiling in similar patterns. You even have the shiny black panels. (LCARs displays on Star Trek) Your color pallet is similar. At the very least, it looks like the inside of a Starfleet facility or ship.

Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you. If you want it to look similar to Star Trek, then you're fine. You certainly wouldn't be the first person to draw inspiration from Star Trek in their own non-Trek universe stuff. However, if you want your stuff to stand on its own, then it's a bad thing.

SFM Nugget
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, for sure I like Star Trek and I like the colors from TNG sets. I didn't notice that they are alike, but now I do when you pointed it out. But I'm not sure if what I want. I will continue working on this and see how other interiors turn out.

SFM Nugget
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I took your advice and tried to get away from Star Trek-ish look. This is a bit darker, more 2001 Space Odyssey- look. I kept the colors the same, I like them, but I think that this time it doesn't look that much like star trek. Ignore the wooden buklheads, they will change. They are wooden for now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. It definitely doesn't look Trek anymore.

SFM Nugget
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. That's why I like to post on these kind of forums early during modeling. You can get good feedback about your work. I like the new corridor better than old ones now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The wood is a nice aeststic, though, and there is always a possibility of biology mimicking composite materials that have a wood look, but are more stronger than steel.

The ship design is nice too.
    Keep moving forward.

SFM Nugget
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes, I thought about that. Maybe I'll do it that way.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast