Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaceship "Electra" by I14R10

I like the magical one better, though both look good.

SFM Nugget
    How about the name of the ship? I don't like Electra, I only put it because it was the first thing on my mind. Anybody got some ancient words that sound great? I'll have to watch Stargate SG-1 again. They have a lot of ancient words there.

Good question! Perhaps it would be helpful if you were able to share a bit more about your vision for the ship?

Quote Originally Posted by I14R10
    This ship is sent to investigate the fractures and see if they can be closed
    I'm guessing from this line in your earlier description that it's some form of science/research vessel? I'm also guessing that it's "human" in origin (if not necessarily entirely in crew...) If so, you could consider "historical" equivalents and get some ideas from current research vessels. I can't speak for everywhere else, but in the UK these tend to be named for explorers, or related in some way to their role (for example, "HMS Echo" is a hydrographic survey ship), so you could go with "Magellan", "Watcher", "Endeavour" etc'...

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”

SFM Nugget
    In my universe there are no aliens. Of course, signals had been received from distant civilizations, and they probably discovered our transmissions, but no communication was ever established. We have mapped nearest 50 light years, but that's all. We have colonized few closest star systems.

Yes, this ship is science research ship. Currently about 180m long with yet undetermined number of crew. Somewhere around 20-30 probably.

I would like to use a name that's not that familiar like Endeavour. Magellan could be a candidate though.

SFM Nugget
    Playing with lighting

SFM Nugget
    Couple new renders. You can see some new stuff added in the reactor chamber on the bottom part of the image. They serve to control the reaction in the reactor.
    Reactor chamber is spherical area that surrounds the reactor.

I am really looking forward to completing this concept phase and start adding stuff that makes renders more real - normal maps and small scratches, IES lights, few stuf in the post production... This time I am hoping on rendering a short animation. Got to keep my room warm
    I have some nice ideas about animating reactor, but I'll keep that a small secret until I do it.

This is another render with different bulkhead color and slightly brighter lights

I am thinking of buying Vray for blender in order to have higher render quality. Cycles is fine renderer, but Vray really does it more professionally, with less noise.
    Last edited by I14R10; 1st Oct 2016 at 00:14.

I really like how this is shaping up.

SFM Nugget
    I am considering making a walkthrough in Unity for Oculus rift. Nothing fancy.
    I inspected it in Oculus Rift myself and it just looks massive and big. That's great since that's what I wanted.

And how about the name Solus? It's latin word meaning alone, only, the only. Which really goes with the general idea of this ship. And my universe.
    Last edited by I14R10; 1st Oct 2016 at 11:43.

SFM Nugget
    Mostly playing with lighting

Last edited by I14R10; 8th Oct 2016 at 11:21.

I like the name Solus- works well (from what we know so far).

Looking forward to seeing more of how the internals of the ship marry together to form a deck plan- will help to give more insight into the purpose of the craft.

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast