Page 58 of 135 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Interiors

The new materials look great, and the lighting really brings out the texture of the carpet well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekkert View Post
    Yeah, there are a lot of... questionable decisions regarding this bridge design, but I like it, in a bizarre way, even though (like the exterior of the ship) it was clearly made cheap and I wish it were different.

I've tweaked all the materials, I believe they're accurate now but feel free to correct me, the lighting of the damaged bridge makes it very hard to notice the colors. I've also added the black divisions between the graphics in the three square monitors above the aft stations. Just as in the real set, they're almost impossible to see.

I really like the colors and textures you chose. Other than being a bit dark lighting-wise, she looks good. Actually it reminds me a lot of the lighting for the Enterprise and Excelsior in Undiscovered Country.

Yeah it's a very simple, quick and dirty design for a bridge. It looks good on screen, but like the TNG bridge it's not very practical. The Captain can't just swivel in a chair and look at the monitors to see what's going on which was the whole point of the TOS and TMP bridges. But if you're on a budget only having to build a bridge that's only 3 major stations in the back and two in front makes it cheaper to build and cheaper to man.

Maybe there are duplicates of the three main overheads hanging over the main viewer or something, so the captain can see them when he's facing forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNeumann View Post
    Maybe there are duplicates of the three main overheads hanging over the main viewer or something, so the captain can see them when he's facing forward.
    Which is a good idea, but when you look at the blueprints, there's just two static status displays, several smaller alert displays and the main viewscreen. At least on the Ent-C's bridge. They added stations here and there over the years but nothing like what you're thinking of.

It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, just not how they designed it.

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks!

@ashleytinger: Thank you! Yeah it's as basic as Trek bridges can go, that's partially why I love it, even if I think it's too small for an Ambassador. As for the lighting, I'm using just the Zodiac ceiling piece by now, it'll be completely redone.

@BlueNeumann: Pretty much what ashleytinger said, I want to keep it as accurate as possible to the real deal, even if it's unpractical as hell as a real design.

I've worked on the keyboards for the aft consoles. These are interesting because they remained unchanged from when the set was the Hathaway bridge, and that bridge was designed following the style of those in The Voyage Home. They were very different to all the latter stuff while still retaining some elements (like those circular graphics). The white borders were illuminated for example, while on latter stuff they weren't.

Last edited by Rekkert; 29th Nov 2017 at 19:44.
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks!

@ashleytinger: Thank you! Yeah it's as basic as Trek bridges can go, that's partially why I love it, even if I think it's too small for an Ambassador. As for the lighting, I'm using just the Zodiac ceiling piece by now, it'll be completely redone.

@BlueNeumann: Pretty much what ashleytinger said, I want to keep it as accurate as possible to the real deal, even if it's unpractical as hell as a real design.

I've worked on the keyboards for the aft consoles. These are interesting because they remained unchanged from when the set was the Hathaway bridge, and that bridge was designed following the style of those in The Voyage Home. They were very different to all the latter stuff while still retaining some elements (like those circular graphics). The white borders were illuminated for example, while on latter stuff they weren't.

Never noticed that before. Good eye!

SFM Obsessed
    Me neither! Kinda surprising also, as the s2 Hathaway set consoles would have been made either after or in line with the sets from Star Trek 5 (produced in 1988-89, released '89) -- which stands to reason since the display LCARS were all of similar coloration to that bridge, rather than from the end of Voyage Home (lots more white, purples, etc)...
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

Yeah, they are certainly weird. The side panels as well use a design that was only used on the Voyage Home Enterprise-A, and yet these ones were specifically designed for the Ent-C, so there's a type of display that apparently fell out of use only to then be reused 50 years latter... The more you look at the details, the more of a mismatch this bridge seems to be.

I've done a few more displays, but speaking of weird...

Ironically, it does look good from the Captain's point of view...

I see two options going forward with this console. If I go hardcore on the canon, the 'NAV' decal is visible on the episode, and Castillo was found below this console, so they should be always maned stations, as in the Enterprise-A. The problem with that is that you would have two crew members standing in the way of the viewscreen all the time.

However, its position right below the viewscreen makes it ideal for a 'Master Situation' and/or 'Mission Ops' console, not used all the time, but always displaying information. And when needed, crew members can approach and use it for more granular tasks, just like the aft consoles worked on the Enterprise-D. Thoughts? Any third possibility I'm missing?
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

SFM Obsessed
    Depending on how faithful you want to remain to the original, you could always sink the forward deck height down by a step or two? Other than that, I'd say it'd have to be a Mission Ops console -- there are enough Master Situation style schematics on the rear displays.

Are you intending to keep the (much better looking!) Ent-A helm console, or replace with the anachronistic TWOK style one from the episode complete with ugly greebles?
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

However, its position right below the viewscreen makes it ideal for a 'Master Situation' and/or 'Mission Ops' console, not used all the time, but always displaying information. And when needed, crew members can approach and use it for more granular tasks, just like the aft consoles worked on the Enterprise-D. Thoughts? Any third possibility I'm missing?
    This option is what I'm thinking, because, as you point out, the astrogator is on this console, so I am thinking it's a primitive version of a form of "master systems monitor" or "self-diagnostic" station for the bridge computer systems, and maybe is only manned/used by people when the ship is receiving software upgrades or some such thing, with people inputting/installing new tech/data into them with those little hand gadgets with blinky lights all over them (like the one in the pic).