Page 114 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1249

Thread: Star Trek Interiors

Great work on that wall panel so far! I like the idea of making them wider, though it makes sense, since this set is physically longer than the TMP Rec Room.
    Last edited by BolianAdmiral; 5th Jul 2018 at 18:22.

SFM Guru
    I'd like to see how this lounge turns out.

I do imagine the Nebula-class being a ship of the line. In an upcoming Galaxy Chronicles installment, I will mention that Nebula-class starships are just about every bit as good as their Galaxy-class cousins.
    Last edited by Rusty0918; 5th Jul 2018 at 18:59.

SFM Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty0918 View Post
    I'd like to see how this lounge turns out.

I do imagine the Nebula-class being a ship of the line. In an upcoming Galaxy Chronicles installment, I will mention that Nebula-class starships are just about every bit as good as their Galaxy-class cousins.
    Tbh based on what we saw onscreen I don't you could justify that being consistently the case.

Though I disagree entirely with using such a blatantly cheap bridge set as was done onscreen, seems fairly clear that vessels of that class were intended to be:
    1) a smidgen older than their Galaxy sisters,
    2) generally lower performance (eg max warp capability)

That said, I like to think that the later production run and refit examples would often -if not always- have been brought up roughly to spec with their Galaxy cousins.
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

SFM Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Tbh based on what we saw onscreen I don't you could justify that being consistently the case.

Though I disagree entirely with using such a blatantly cheap bridge set as was done onscreen, seems fairly clear that vessels of that class were intended to be:
    1) a smidgen older than their Galaxy sisters,
    2) generally lower performance (eg max warp capability)

That said, I like to think that the later production run and refit examples would often -if not always- have been brought up roughly to spec with their Galaxy cousins.
    I should have used "almost." No they're not on par, but in many ways they are every bit as good (not EVERY way).

@Starscream: Hahaha, I would love to see that Enterprise-E idea!

Originally the Nebula wasn't even supposed to be so closely related to the Galaxy, but rather a much smaller ship with similar looking components (like the New Orleans), it was simply a lack of time that forced the model makers to reuse the casts of the Enterprise as they were.

There's not much canon evidence as to how "good" the class is when compared to the Galaxy. I'd assume it's older and isn't as powerful as well. Older because most ships had registries on the 6XXXX range, with some even at 60XXX, which is more than 10.000 numbers below the Galaxy. Adding to that, these ships used the older style of Starfleet pennant on the hull, with a circle behind the arrowhead rather than an oval like the Enterprise-D had, just as it was the case with the Enterprise-C and other older ships. That's just my head-canon using the BTS info though, we have no definitive answer in canon.

Going back to the lounge, I've modeled the basic shape of the front area and the balcony. I've also added the remaining TMP style walls, with the central panel being double the length of the other ones. This is because there will be little alcoves with tables behind these panels, that can be accessed via the space in between them. Logically, the central panel will have two alcoves behind it (one accessible via each end) and thus needs to be longer. Keep in mind that this is still very early and can change significantly before reaching a finished state, as that's the nature of doing a largely original room rather than one based on a preexisting set.

Also, here's a little diagram giving more detail to the room's location and size. The little red drawing on the right side of the image is a mirrored diagram of Ten Forward, to give you an idea of the size of this lounge.

For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

Damn, that's looking really nice so far! I'm curious to see how those balcony corner areas turn out/what you have in mind for those areas, details-wise, because I have a couple ideas, but I want to see more of where you're going/what you have in mind first.

SFM Obsessed
    @Rekkert if only I could find the blinking DVD it's stored away on!

I admit I completely forgot about the Farragut's pennants! With regards sizing, as I recall EAS debunked that after a thorough examination of the original model's primary hull -- they suspect (and I agree) that Sternbach accidentally was recalling the New Orleans model's inception instead.

Regarding warp speed, in TNG the Nebula's max rating was 9.4, and then by DS9 it rose to 9.5 (9.6 at a push). By late DS9 / VOY, the refits & newer production models could hit Warp 9.9.

Of course, we also saw the transition to a Galaxy-style engineering hull when the model was replaced with CGI; the latter being used to represent newer builds like the Honshu - it seems logical they received other upgrades besides.
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

SFM Guru
    I consider the Farragut's pennants a labeling mistake by the production department.

As with registries - we clearly learned this in "Star Trek: Discovery" that registries aren't completely sequential. The USS Discovery for example has a registry of NCC-1031, yet it's newer than the much older USS Shenzhou with an NCC-1227 registry not to mention the most of the Constitution-class family.

Another point taken, the USS Constitution had a registry of NCC-1700, yet we saw quite a few of them with registries in the NCC-16xx range not to mention the NCC-1017 of the Constellation.

In my Galaxy Chronicles, in "The Sound of the Shiant," I mention that the USS Nebula (which there's a picture of in the ship's briefing lounge - which is adorned with other pictures of first-of-her class vessels) has a registry of NCC-70862 and was launched around the same time as the Galaxy herself. The idea of non-sequential registry numbers can easily support ships in the NCC-6xxxx range. I know there are many who would question it.

Yes, the Galaxy is a superior ship to the Nebula, but not by that much.

SFM Obsessed
    I too consider the pennants to be a mistake (though not an unwelcome one - I never did like the oval pennants lol), though I fear that as usual that's as far as we'll agree:

( Ignoring for one moment that in giving the Nebula a reg number similar to the Galaxy, you contradicted your own comments re: non-sequential registries - when by your own logic you shouldn't need to... )

Discovery is frankly a mess, both in terms of story and design - to mention nothing of its place in canon. It's the very last place one should look for reliable evidence. And as for TOS production flubs, well it's not as if TNG/+ didn't suffer them! I'm not going to slavishly adhere to simple errors, otherwise I'd be forever desperately trying to account for stuff like Geordi having alternate-universe cuffs at the end of Yesterday's Enterprise...

In any case, I'll stick with the general consensus on the Nebula - all of which gives a number in the lower 6xxxx range (though no one agrees precisely what the number is! Lol). There's no need to try and assert that it's equal in age or capability, when the prevailing onscreen evidence suggests otherwise.

Plus, the idea that the original production batch ships are generally a tad older and less of an all-rounder, doesn't disparage the Nebulas in any way:- If anything a cheaper, mission-specific, reliable workhorse fits in-universe far better than a design that "does exactly the same as a Galaxy without actually being a Galaxy". Ask yourself: Why would anyone logically do that? Starfleet doesn't design vessels purely for the sake of variety, even if the RL production team does.

I'm afraid that asserting something in fanfiction doth not make a thing so, to me at least.

ETA: @Rekkert I found it! Nowhere near as complete as I remember it, but on the plus side I found a ton of other ideas I'd put together... Will send it in pm rather than clutter the thread further.
    Last edited by Starscream; 6th Jul 2018 at 17:11.

SFM Guru
    @Starscream - I get your point. I'd say Nebulas are 80% as good as Galaxys in general, I guess the "almost every bit as good" might have been a bit too far, I admit.

As with DSC, it is considered canon, despite what some dissenters say.

I know, just because it was said in my fanfic doens't make it so. The reason I COULD get away with this was the fact that there is no clear-cut Nebula-class registry. STO has it as NCC-62101, some sources have it NCC-60124, NCC-60572, etc. It's a bit blurry there. So, I decided to take a bit of artistic license.

I think in most other peoples' continuity, it would be an NCC-60xxx deal.