Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Interiors

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by BolianAdmiral View Post
    Just a thought, but if you really want to keep it period-accurate (just prior to TNG), I would really use the 1st season Captain's chair, since that's what we saw on the 1st season 1701-D, the Yamato, and the Hathaway, Lantree, and Brattain, not to mention the 1701-C. Again, just what I would do.
    Well - there's no saying in canon that such command chairs that were introduced in Season 2 were not present before that. My idea may be that the Enterprise-D originally WAS supposed to have the Season 2-onward command chair and Utopia Planetia put in the other type when the ship was launched, and it was changed in a refit. Perhaps Picard tried the season 1 chair and later thought the season 2+ chair was better. As I quote and what this bridge is supposed to convey is that "no two ships are exactly alike."

I liked the Season 2-onward chair better, that was the main thing.

No worries. What counts is that you like it... it's your baby.

SFM Guru
    I too like that command area! It's always good to have variation. I did ponder once that it might be better with Conn-sized consoles for Riker and Troi, so they could access Tactical and (at a guess) Communications functions more easily...

The background colors aren't entirely disimilar to how I've always thought the Nebula-class should have looked (based on what little we saw of the Phoenix, the Sutherland, etc), bearing in mind it was a slightly earlier class, and that it tended to be more of a workhorse compared to the "stately" Galaxy-class.

The only thing that sticks out to me (I won't go into the label colors ) is that the red carpet clashes a bit with the relatively grey-blue bridge. Maybe a faded teal to go in line with the seating might work better?
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I too like that command area! It's always good to have variation. I did ponder once that it might be better with Conn-sized consoles for Riker and Troi, so they could access Tactical and (at a guess) Communications functions more easily...

The background colors aren't entirely disimilar to how I've always thought the Nebula-class should have looked (based on what little we saw of the Phoenix, the Sutherland, etc), bearing in mind it was a slightly earlier class, and that it tended to be more of a workhorse compared to the "stately" Galaxy-class.

The only thing that sticks out to me (I won't go into the label colors ) is that the red carpet clashes a bit with the relatively grey-blue bridge. Maybe a faded teal to go in line with the seating might work better?
    Well, you do have a point about that, I never really asked much about the colors - a faded teal/aqua might go better as well.

Actually, I pictured the USS Nebula having a slightly higher registry that the USS Galaxy (e.g. NCC-70863) and the lower NCC-6xxxx registries were ships that were going to be one class but something changed and they decided to make 'em all Nebulas. In my books, registry numbers aren't strictly chronological. We saw Constitution-class ships with registries as low as NCC-1017 (or even NCC-956) when the Constitution herself was NCC-1700. I know some sources have the Nebula-class as NCC-60147 or NCC-60xxx, but there really isn't one that's chiseled in stone so I'll take artistic license.

SFM Guru
    I'd agree on them not being strictly chronological, but also consider that contradictions would be the exception rather than the rule (eg the generally accepted point that some older classes have batches of newer builds, with accordingly higher registries, in existence; while old TOS registry conflicts can be rationally ignored on the simple basis that these were either outright production flubs, or just the result of lack of time and money).

RE the Nebula, to my mind an entire 10,000 registry entries out of date seems a little excessive... particularly when we also bear in mind the slightly older, rougher interiors.

I'd considered a "true" Nebula bridge when I commissioned Rekkert, but we both agreed it was too soon to modify Bolian's Quasar set. I've also got in mind a "devolved" Galaxy bridge design for the New Orleans class from around the time of the Cardassian War, based on a tiny fragment of a comic book illustration and various other bits of inspiration, so may have to stump up for another commission fairly soon if Rekkert'll take it!
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I'd agree on them not being strictly chronological, but also consider that contradictions would be the exception rather than the rule (eg the generally accepted point that some older classes have batches of newer builds, with accordingly higher registries, in existence; while old TOS registry conflicts can be rationally ignored on the simple basis that these were either outright production flubs, or just the result of lack of time and money).

RE the Nebula, to my mind an entire 10,000 registry entries out of date seems a little excessive... particularly when we also bear in mind the slightly older, rougher interiors.

I'd considered a "true" Nebula bridge when I commissioned Rekkert, but we both agreed it was too soon to modify Bolian's Quasar set. I've also got in mind a "devolved" Galaxy bridge design for the New Orleans class from around the time of the Cardassian War, based on a tiny fragment of a comic book illustration and various other bits of inspiration, so may have to stump up for another commission fairly soon if Rekkert'll take it!
    Well - here's my two cents - the dedication plaque for the USS Phoenix (which had a lower registry than Galaxy) indicated it being launched on Stardate 40xxx.x - which was 2363, less than a year before the Enterprise-D was launched (and in six years after the Galaxy was commissioned!).

The Sutherland bridge that we saw I always presumed to be temporary, since it seemed more like an auxiliary control room. Perhaps her previous bridge was damaged and the one we saw in "Redemption Part II" was a fill-in.

My idea of a "true" Nebula bridge is similar layout to the Galaxy design but instead of the horeshoe rail, it's one of those utilitarian consoles a la the Zodiac's tactical or the Ent-D Battle Brige's tactical as seen in "Encounter At Farpoint" and "The Arsenal of Freedom."

SFM Guru
    True, but I think we all know by now that the model shop team and the set designers don't always line up! IMHO it's easier to accept such flubs as what they are, and thus ignore them, rather that doing mental gymnastics to make it all fit

I wouldn't eliminate the horseshoe rail entirely for the Nebulas, but we know that the Odyssey for example had a more generic handrail of some sort, so it's not exactly out of the question to have something different on some vessels (I like the BBridge consoles, too). I'd expect there to be at least as many subtle variations for Nebulas as there are for their more hotel-esque Galaxy cousins...

I think we're both of similar minds as far as a slightly more utilitarian look for it, in any case!

Rusty0918's bridge design is already giving me some ideas for both my own 'verse's version of the Nebula and Galaxy bridges. I can totally imagine the iteration he has, as it is now (with the season 1 Captain's chair), being the original "testbed" version of the ship, meaning that while the exterior form of the ship and modules has been finalized and fully completed, the interior equipment isn't the final installed equipment - just what's needed for the yard engineering teams to test out the workings of the ship and her systems - the final interior layout will be installed following the first open space trials and shakedowns are completed.

As for the Quasar vs. Nebula/Galaxy bridge... my intent was that while both bridge modules are physically identical, the systems on the Nebula-Class were where the systems on the Galaxy were largely tested and proved, and we see the result of that in the Galaxy bridge, which is why there's no bulky bit on the main viewscreen or on the tactical horseshoe, and why there are no large twin isolinear banks on either side of the bridge - by the time the Galaxy was completed, those systems had been streamlined to the point where they could be integrated in a far less visible manner.

At least, that's MY take, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BolianAdmiral View Post
    Just a thought, but if you really want to keep it period-accurate (just prior to TNG), I would really use the 1st season Captain's chair, since that's what we saw on the 1st season 1701-D, the Yamato, and the Hathaway, Lantree, and Brattain, not to mention the 1701-C. Again, just what I would do.
    Unless you count the flashback sequences in All Good Things, where the Enterprise had the Season 2 and later style chair in the Encounter at Farpoint time frame.

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    Unless you count the flashback sequences in All Good Things, where the Enterprise had the Season 2 and later style chair in the Encounter at Farpoint time frame.
    Well there's no saying that the season 2 chair onward couldn't be used prior to 2365. And yes I did notice a lot of discrepancies with "All Good Things..." and "Encounter at Farpoint" (among them also being the viewscreen "chaser lights" moving in a diverging pattern as opposed to a converging pattern in Season 1).

We could assume that the Ent-D was always meant to have the Season 2-onward chair but when she was launched, they put the Season 1 version in by accident, if you catch my drift.

Keep in mind also the Odyssey (from DS9's "The Jem'Hadar") didn't have the Season 2-onward chair. You don't see it much, but given the color, they re-used the command chair from the USS Pasteur from AGT (which is in turn redressed from the Battle Bridge command chair).

You might have a variety of different options when it comes to seating arrangements, just like you do in vehicles (though none are available with such anymore - some vehicles could be available with a front bench seat or front bucket seats).

It's also possible that the Enterprise-D rendevoused with the Galaxy or the Yamato (the latter of course being a time before it went bye-bye) and Picard liked Captain Sonal Chandra's chair (Captain Sonal Chandra is captain of the Galaxy in my TNG: Galaxy Chronicles stories) or Donald Varley's chair and wanted it changed.