Page 65 of 149 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Interiors

SFM Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Always felt sickbay was underused as a potentially redressable set, for other parts of main sickbay, medical and science labs, etc - lots of wasted opportunities, IMO.

Looking forward to how this turns out!
    Well, the main sickbay set was redressed as that isolated examination room in TNG's "Unnatural Selection" as well as the maternity ward in TNG's "The Child," both of probably which were probably not the main sickbay set.

My primary gripe with not only TNG's sickbay, but all of Trek's sickbays, was that there was never really much privacy... you had rows of beds beside one another, with nothing like a partition between them. What if the patient had to have his/her clothing removed, to treat a wound, or what if the patient needs to get up in the middle of the night (or any time, for that matter), to use the restroom? And the primary surgical biobed was smack-dab in the middle of the primary sickbay ward, where all the other patients could look on. What if a patient had lost control of their faculties, and had some epic explosions of the di'rear? The point is, that there was never any attention paid to the privacy of the patients.

Totally, unequivocally agree on that. What the hell were they thinking?!
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

SFM Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BolianAdmiral View Post
    My primary gripe with not only TNG's sickbay, but all of Trek's sickbays, was that there was never really much privacy... you had rows of beds beside one another, with nothing like a partition between them. What if the patient had to have his/her clothing removed, to treat a wound, or what if the patient needs to get up in the middle of the night (or any time, for that matter), to use the restroom? And the primary surgical biobed was smack-dab in the middle of the primary sickbay ward, where all the other patients could look on. What if a patient had lost control of their faculties, and had some epic explosions of the di'rear? The point is, that there was never any attention paid to the privacy of the patients.
    Well, there are other parts of sickbay BESIDES the ICU. There are other wards as well in the sickbay, especially if you see the Enterprise-D blueprints, which I know Rekkert has, BTW. Also, surgeries would NOT be performed here: they have dedicated operating rooms, of which we saw one (based off an oft-redressed set) in the TNG episode "Ethics."

Yeah, the budget limitations were pretty apparent on the sickbay set (hell, it wasn't even a full set for the first season!). But indeed, as Rusty says, there are supposed to be a lot more rooms on the 'sickbay complex', including rooms for individual patients, and large wards with lots of beds (though that begs the question of why when there's an emergency, they always put more beds on a cargobay on the show... again, budget...)

More work done on the biobeds area. The height of the set is now correct, and I've redone the columns to be more accurate. I've added the aqua metallic color from the bridge on the small insets, but that could change. Rusty has a particular idea for the aft walls, so the aqua color might end up there.

Last edited by Rekkert; 8th Jan 2018 at 22:06.
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

I remember that! It was a redressed Observation Lounge, no?
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

Yes it was, which meant that they were constantly moving all the beds and window covers and the wall with the ship sculptures around during that season...

So, regarding that wall behind the biobeds... For 'Undiscovered Country', when they reused the Ent-D sickbay as the Ent-A sickbay, they added some acoustic panels to those walls in order to make them look different. Rusty wanted those panels reproduced. I think they give some much needed detail to an otherwise boring wall, and they look pretty cool in that metallic color.

I've also started working on the biobeds themselves, but they're far from finished.

For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

Very nice. I like the wall panels, and the color chosen for them. Looking forward to more!

I too like the idea of putting those panels there, though to me they always seemed like some kind of fabric/padding... Plus the metal makes it look a bit Babylon5 for my tastes Each to their own though!

God, they really should have had some kind of better dividers between the cubicles... Maybe there's actually something like a translucent pane that slides out from inside the wall divides (and we just never saw it onscreen! Hahaha)

SFM Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I too like the idea of putting those panels there, though to me they always seemed like some kind of fabric/padding... Plus the metal makes it look a bit Babylon5 for my tastes Each to their own though!

God, they really should have had some kind of better dividers between the cubicles... Maybe there's actually something like a translucent pane that slides out from inside the wall divides (and we just never saw it onscreen! Hahaha)
    Well, we know from TNG's "The Dauphin" that the sickbay has an extremely sophisticated air handling system (though it wasn't enough to convince Anya as she wanted Pulaski to kill her patient).

I like the support I've gotten from some about my choices. That gray-aqua color scheme really works well!