Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashley's Star Trek WIP Thread

Ashley's Star Trek WIP Thread

Rather than start a whole thread for each new thing, especially as I bounce around my work space a LOT, I figured I'd start with just one. All of my stuff is going to be alternate universe unless stated otherwise.

I'm currently working on the Liberty Class, both inside and out. I'll be honest, I'm much stronger with interiors, especially when I have blueprints than I am with exteriors. When the Liberty is done though she's going to be a full kit all laid out and ready to go. She's mainly built for civilians but could be outfitted for small patrol craft for Starfleet and police cruisers. With only 4 (or 5 depending on how you count crawl spaces) decks, 2 of which house anything of significance.

Breaks down like this

Saucer
    Deck 1 Bridge
    Deck 2 Core, medical, quarters, small cargo bay, mess, 3 person transporter, engineering
    Deck 3 Science lab

Secondary Hull
    Deck 3 Torpedo/Probe launcher, Cargo Bay, Shuttle bay and main airlock, Deuterium storage, warp nacelle access
    Deck 4 maintenance access for Deflector

I do have a full bridge built for her already. It's not your standard bridge as this is more of a 'working class' ship. I borrowed parts of the design from the Hathaway/Enterprise C and the graphics are all based off the Motion Pciture bridge and the Enterprise Flight Manual.

That's the in progress when I was building it in Truespace (Yes I still use Truespace)

And the imported bridge fully rendered and decked out in DAZ Studio 4.9.

More of this and my other work so far with other ships at my Deviantart page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liberty wip.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	114796  

Welcome to the forum. Nice work so far. Looking forward to seeing more.
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

SFM Guru
    I've been following you on DeviantArt. Hadn't realised that you weren't on this forum already. Welcome aboard.

Welcome, and beautiful work!

Quote Originally Posted by Schimpfy View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Nice work so far. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks! I'll definitely be sharing more as I get a chance to work on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex5972 View Post
    I've been following you on DeviantArt. Hadn't realised that you weren't on this forum already. Welcome aboard.
    Thank you! Yeah I wasn't on many forums at all, kind of poking around here and there and decided to jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by BolianAdmiral View Post
    Welcome, and beautiful work!
    Thanks very much

So I was planning on cutting windows into the saucer and ended up building out the bulk of the lab in deck 3 in like a day.

Here's the exterior with the windows cut in. There's a slighter lower poly version of the set inside with the smaller items missing as you won't really see them anyway.

And I've got her imported into DAZ so have the start of some beauty shots. Science lab is located on Deck 3 of the Liberty class. It's a room with options for the ship as it's a multi-purpose room and really depends on what you put into it. When a Liberty class is slated for construction, the default selection for this area is a Science Lab. It could also function as an observation deck with the right lounge equipment installed. Most Captains go for the Science Lab just to have that option when you're out in space on you're own and don't have back-up nearby.

This is the view looking into the forward window. More renders to come.

Did this up real quick. Both ships are a work in progress, obviously. This kind of gives you a size comparison of the Liberty to other Starfleet ships, in this case, the Galaxy Class.

The Liberty could actually fly right between the neck of the secondary hull and the warp nacelle and still have plenty of clearance. The reason parts of the Galaxy didn't render on this is that I hit the draw distance limit in Truespace. I'm working with real sizes, not scaled down ones at the moment.

I've been plugging away at the saucer section. It has 12 living quarters lining the exterior, each with a window. There's also a crew's mess in the bow, also with windows. The airlocks on either side aren't done yet but I'm working on some ideas. I think what I'll do for the exterior is have a set of retracting doors that reveal a flat area where a travel pod could dock with the standard starfleet airlock set-up underneath.

I started working out some of my warp engine details. They are far from done, but I did lower them on the secondary hull a little bit. I'm toying with an idea I've seen from the super cars where they're using an electric engine alongside a gas powered engine but instead of making them fuel efficient they instead use the electric engine to boost the hell out of the gas engine's power. So what exactly does that mean? Along with the standard fusion powered Impulse Engines in the primary hull, the Liberty is going to have a set of experimental warp powered impulse engines built into the nacelles. It's an idea. We'll see how bulked up that looks when I put it on there.

Anyway, the saucer has windows and little rooms behind each of those windows with tables, chairs, food dispensers, beds, and off to the side room behind a wall a sonic shower and a toilet

Cool to see you around these parts of the web, keep it up!
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

I really like the Liberty class so far, great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekkert View Post
    Cool to see you around these parts of the web, keep it up!
    Thank you! I definitely will! Want to eventually get to using the models/sets I've been building.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
    I really like the Liberty class so far, great work.
    Thanks! She started out as kind of a throwaway ship for background fodder but there's a charm to her now and I want to do right by her.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast