Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USS Akula

SFM Nugget

USS Akula

I have not done 3D artwork in a while and I decided to get back into it back a few months ago. So I decided I would do one of my favorite ships from Star Fleet Command the Akula Class Destroyer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akula_wip2d.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	114963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akula_wip2e.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	114964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akula_wip2f.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	114965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akula_wip2g.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	114966

Cool. Love that class. Looks like you are using Blender?
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris 004 View Post
    Cool. Love that class. Looks like you are using Blender?
    Its probably one of the best kit bashed ships, next to the centaur class

Yeah I am using blender, Blender has came along way in the last 10 years. I am thinking of getting a student license for Maya 3D, and doing a couple of professional online courses for it.

SFM Nugget
    Quick Update. Started on the bridge.

Name:	bridgewip_1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	114975

Nice. Bridge is looking good. Also like the greeble work back at the pylon connection.

I use Blender too. I've always been grateful for it, but in the last few years it has become MUCH easier to use.

Building TMP era nacelles takes a great deal of persistence and, for me at least, hours and hours of trial and error. Yours look great!
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris 004 View Post
    Nice. Bridge is looking good. Also like the greeble work back at the pylon connection.

I use Blender too. I've always been grateful for it, but in the last few years it has become MUCH easier to use.

Building TMP era nacelles takes a great deal of persistence and, for me at least, hours and hours of trial and error. Yours look great!
    The TMP era nacelles were a big pain for me to do as well, it took me 6 tries at them to get it looking mostly right and I still have some fine detailing to do on them as well., It wad getting to the point where I was spending to much time on them.

Hampton Roads. In SE Virginia? hit me up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermid View Post
    The TMP era nacelles were a big pain for me to do as well, it took me 6 tries at them to get it looking mostly right and I still have some fine detailing to do on them as well., It wad getting to the point where I was spending to much time on them.
    I've found that nacelles in general are surprisingly difficult. I'm not sure what the workflow is for Blender, but in SketchUp, I find that nacelles almost seem like a separate entitiy altogether, which I strap to the rest of the model. I need to spend a lot of time matching styles and density of detailing to the rest of the ship.

Yours look excellent! And, I especially like the way you've managed the sweep of that tall central pylon through the saucer

SFM Nugget
    I've been doing alot of overtime at work the last week, so I have not had much time to work on it. I've gotten most of the bridge section complete, aside from a few little details, I've also started experiment with using displacement modeling to add in the hull plating on a saucer section it still looks kinda rough. I'm probably going to model some of the interior of the ship as well such as the officers lounge.

Name:	Akula_wip2I.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	114984

Name:	Akula_wip2J.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	114985

SFM Obsessed
    I want the Yamato super battleship as well.

I couldn't get that method of deflector gridding to work on my ships, either. I tried it a few different ways, but that was a while ago. Blender's different now, maybe you will be able to get it to work... Can't wait to see more updates!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast