Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildcat-Class Starship

Wildcat-Class Starship

Despite some trepidation, I felt a bit forced by real life to take on another commission while still working on my current one. Depending on how well this goes, will it become something regular or not.

Slybrarian commissioned me to create a 3D model for his Wildcat-Class starship. It's been a long time since I did any ship, and it'll be my first one on Blender, so I'm exited for this one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c3_20.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	114996  
    Last edited by Rekkert; 28th Feb 2018 at 04:15.
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

I've added the superstructure directly below the bridge, and started with the shuttlebay area. I've also worked on the phaser banks and nacelle caps.

SFM Obsessed
    Nice work so far! I like the unique transition between the NX bow deflector and what I also considered to be Deflector and/or Sensor equipment on the 1701...
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

SFM Guru
    nice ship

Nice. It looks like basically a slightly modified FASA Loknar?

@Starscream: Thanks! Haha, I usually consider those three things to be windows, but Slybrarian clearly agrees with you on their purpose.

@SATR: Thanks!

@BolianAdmiral: Thank you. Yeah, the Loknar, NX, and Frankin were all inspirations for this design. However, in Slybrarian's own words, the Wildcat is a bit beefier.

I've done the basic bridge structure, as well as the impulse engines and shuttlebay doors.

SFM Guru
    That's some really clean modelling.

I like what you have so far but those nacelles are way to small for the ship.

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex5972 View Post
    That's some really clean modelling.

I like what you have so far but those nacelles are way to small for the ship.
    That's probably mostly a perspective effect. The nacelles are similar proportionately to the NX, and are about the same size as the TOS Constitution's. In fact the ship overall is only a little larger than the Connie in volume. The saucer is wider and thicker but the catamarans just barely make up for the engineering section.

Hampton Roads. In SE Virginia? hit me up!
    I always felt that the NX nacelles were too small for that ship too. It struck me as bizzare that when they see the Defiant displaced in time that they marvel at the size of the nacelles. Generally, shouldn't technology get smaller over time? The NX really should have had big, blandly cylindrical nacelles with bits seemingly bolted to the outside. (But I could rant for days about the NX...)

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think the size of nacelles (and their diameter especially) should be correlated to the size of the saucer and then made smaller based on how far below the saucer they are compared to the total height of the ship. Consider the JJ-Prise vs. the oberth. Big saucer/big nacelles vs. little saucer/little nacelles, and the engineering sections of those ships vary wildly as a percentage of total volume.

So, if this ship has a larger, heavier saucer than the 1701 with nacelles mounted above the saucer, then the nacelles should be beefier than the Enterprise's probably in the same proportion as the saucer is beefier
    Last edited by WideFoot; 12th Feb 2018 at 19:23.

I've worked on the windows for deck 2, as well as on the pylons and nacelles. I've actually checked and indeed, made the nacelles just a tiny bit thicker as they were too thin when compared to slybrarian's original model.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast