Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

A new Jupiter 2 that makes sense

Hi everyone,

I'm now involved with a new web series that will revive the old Lost in Space franchise. This means that we needed to create a "new" Jupiter 2 that makes some sort of sense. Those of you familiar with the original know quite well that the ship as designed could never house the two decks shown in the TV show.

The original ship was only 52 feet in diameter (depending on who you talk to). This worked with the early concept shown in the pilot episode in which the ship had only one deck. But since the broadcasted show firmly established the two-story version but never bothered to re-work the exterior of the ship to reconcile the change, I had to go back and re-visit everything about the craft in an attempt to "make it work."

Rather than play the game the movie did and completely toss out the original design, we decided that the ship is so iconic that we wanted to preserve the proportions of Robert Kino****a's original design. (edit: Robert KinoSHEETA - LOL to the language filter!)

After a lot of experimentation, I settled on a new diameter of 98'-4". While this may seem arbitrary, it actually results from careful studies of the landing gear and lower deck, which I'll go into more detail in succeeding posts. A smaller diameter can work, but it means drastically altering the lower level to accommodate the landing gear structures.

Edited to change the thumbnail...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress Pic31.jpg 
Views:	9334 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	84624  
    Last edited by Avian; 30th Aug 2010 at 21:42.

SFM Obsessed
    why not make it 2.5 decks hight hat way u can accomidate the 2 main floors as a whole and leave the landing gear on the "basment floor" u could also add storage compartment access points on the main floors floor and have storage compartments sarrounding the empty gaps between the landing gear
    "Colbs"

Now this is more like it! Even though I loved the design of the Jupiter 2 in the movie remake, the original is still a favorite. It's hard to mess up what is essentially nothing more than a flying saucer. The "supersizing" works for me as well. LIS had moments of ambition, but it is such a letdown when even as a kid it was so easy to tell that the inside of the J2 could never fit within the confines of the exterior. Then there was that episode when they finally managed to return to Earth, but in the year 1949 (or somewhere around there). A mock-up of the J2 exterior was featured in that episode, but it was so freakin' tiny! It looked like it was only about 1/3 the size of the "actual" ship. I still remember seeing it and thinking "That can't be right. The ship has to be bigger than that!"

So I'm liking the idea of keeping the ship the same, just giving it proper dimensions. My only nitpick would be that I'd have made it a full 100' in diameter since your version is so close to that number anyway. I just have this thing about whole numbers. I see the 98' 4" and think "what would it hurt to add that extra one-foot and eight inches? A little extra hull reinforcement would explain that real easy!"

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this project develop. A new LIS web series based on the original show sounds like a very cool idea.

Nick R.
    How complete are you taking the design?

Quote Originally Posted by colbmista View Post
    why not make it 2.5 decks hight hat way u can accomidate the 2 main floors as a whole and leave the landing gear on the "basment floor" u could also add storage compartment access points on the main floors floor and have storage compartments sarrounding the empty gaps between the landing gear
    Good idea, though that would require an even larger ship. Our goal was to "make it work" without ending up with something the size of a 747. So there was a conscious effort to keep it as small as possible. The interiors will be quite faithful to the original, though with the larger ship it gives us more room on the upper deck for additional compartments.

@Buckaroohawk - Just think of it as 30 meters.

@Nick - Well the interiors are being completely worked out. (e.g. it's 174 inches from the lower deck level to the ground. So we know exactly how many steps to put on landing leg #1.) Since no one knows how much space a "real" interstellar engine would take up we're reserving a reasonable amount of space for the drive systems and equipment such as cryogenics, computers, life support, etc.

One new change is that the space pod now exits vertically. That way it can still be used if the ship is landed.
    Last edited by Avian; 31st Jul 2010 at 16:40.

Nick R.
    Well here is something to think about.

The drive ofthe J-2 is supposed to be a field drive. This means that it effects leave the J-2 at near light-speed or exactly light-speed. This is important, as it affects how much fuel is needed to be carried.

In the real world, there has been work done on using microwaves. Mircowaves are a field drive. And do travel at light speed. There have been several articles on the topic.

The 'physical' portion needed not be very large. That isn't the problem, the problem is the power generator.

In other words, that portion of the Unitech drive system, may be the tip of the ice berg. Which is a good starting point. So from what is visible from the out side, assume that is 1/8 of the total.

People expect that field accelerate the entire ship at once, much as gravity does. But, "if" you were to use for example microwaves, this wouldn't be true. In some ways it would behave as a rocket engine. Now start thinking in terms of the mass of the J-2. This too determines the size of the powerplant/engine - for the sake of argument, I will assume that they are the samething.

What I am saying is two things here. You can go the very realistic route, or anywhere in between.

Now about fuel supply. Just how fast is required? This determines the fuel supply. I would say forty-five percent of the fuel to get up to speed, and of of course down. Which leaves a ten percent margine. Remembering that there was no thought to aerobraking back then. Aerbraking would aloow a little extra in terms of safety.

So how about this? Get up to fifty percent light-speed....

So I am half asleep at the moment.

Looking good, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroohawk View Post
    A mock-up of the J2 exterior was featured in that episode, but it was so freakin' tiny! It looked like it was only about 1/3 the size of the "actual" ship. I still remember seeing it and thinking "That can't be right. The ship has to be bigger than that!"
    This is completely typical and to be expected of physically built sets i think, i'd never base the size of the ship on how its displayed as a set piece without some careful checking.

In BSG (TOS) the vipers were built too short to save money and space, another good example is the tiny Millenium Falcon from the star wars films, it looks ok until someone points out you wouldn't be able to even stand in the corridors. Of course since the 3d era, babylon 5 and onwards you can make them any size you want, which you might think would solve it, but occasionally leads to more monkeying around with scaling.

Back again...

Been busy re-doing the J2 for the web series and I couldn't post updates until the official reveal, which was yesterday. Here are the schematic plans for the upper and lower decks. Operative word is schematic. Things will change as the series approaches the start of filming!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plan Lower Deck Annotated v04.jpg 
Views:	14375 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	84568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plan Upper Deck Annotated v06.jpg 
Views:	27052 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	84569  
    Last edited by Avian; 29th Aug 2010 at 09:32.

Cool, haven't seen the original, but I like that.
    See the Shadows of Darkness, Hear the Scream of Cruelty...

That's why I've became a Warrior of Heart, Defend the one you like, Guard the one you love...

Nick R.
    Now you are talking. But one question why is the space pod's door facing away from the center of the ship? It should be easily accessable to the robot.

Or is a robot in its own right?

But very very good, and well done.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast