Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Enterprise Refit VR Exploration Project

  1. #11
    SFM Nugget
    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Age
    33
    Posts
    26
    I respect the work you and the community have done for years in making sense between interior sets and external hull.

    There is scope as I see it, for hollow areas beneath floors for technology, wiring, etc so set height is not 1 to 1 with deck height, and some underfloor areas could be larger on other decks.

    We are in a weird place where designers are becoming more cognisant of matching interiors to exteriors. So modern technology and bigger budgets would make you think that getting these right would be more important - as well as easier.

    Tech like Unreal Engine, and Minecraft put their own spins on designing these huge ships in their entirety. But Minecraft for instance has its own limitations of 1m blocks which also put restrictions on these endeavours.

    As for the airlocks, we have 2 primary sources for them. The Travel Pods from TMP, which I am not entirely sure of the scaling for, either for fitting people in, or exterior dimensions. And the one episode of TNG where we see the airlock corridor connected to the Starbase.

    I guess my point would be, for a VR project, the interior sets could be given the priorty over the external dimensions. So you re-scale the exterior. And there are examples of that happening with Doug Drexler and John Eaves doing it for their work on Enterprise designs and MSDs.

    And you could take the external dimensions as gospel, as established over decades, and re-design/tweak/adapt the sets to match. Which works well if you intend to spend more time outside of the ship, than inside. And if you consider the sets as more of an interpretation of what the interiors would be like, if it were not for budgets and studio restrictions.

    In the end it is a choice for people like yourself to make these decisions, and represent your vision. I guess I am just curious as to whether those that have re-scaled, does the new scaling make sense? Does it solve the issues you are coming up against? Does the same problem affect ships designed in the TNG era. (I know there have been issues with TNG sets like the Bridge to Observation Lounge connection, Ten Forward, Ready Room window - that the Stage 9 designers have had to rationalise).

    I can only hope the next 50 years of Trek create ships with as much care and detail as people like yourself, Stage 9, MineTrek, do, and try not to "fudge" it.
    Last edited by mdta; 13th Jul 2018 at 23:04.

  2. #12
    SFM Nugget ashleytinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 17
    Location
    Black Swamp, OH
    Posts
    67
    Good to see you over here as well!

  3. #13
    SFM Nugget
    Join Date
    Jul 11
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleytinger View Post
    Good to see you over here as well!
    Hey, you too! I seem to be stalking you as much as Rekkert, lol

  4. #14
    SFM Nugget
    Join Date
    Jul 11
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7
    I've been working on getting my lighting in Unreal Engine converted to baked light maps instead of dynamic point lights, and although it's been a bit of a slog over the past few days I think the results are well worth it!

  5. #15
    SFM Nugget ashleytinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 17
    Location
    Black Swamp, OH
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by DanGovier View Post
    I've been working on getting my lighting in Unreal Engine converted to baked light maps instead of dynamic point lights, and although it's been a bit of a slog over the past few days I think the results are well worth it!
    The one thing I hate about this corridor, and this isn't a knock on your design as you're just basing off what we got on ship, is that all the lighting comes from the floor and lighting the actual people walking around in it sucks. It's the same problem they had with the bridge set, not nearly enough lighting.

    For walking around though in VR, this works great, as a practical film set for rendering or shooting real people, it sucks.

    Glad you found a sort of 'easy' button for the corridors. Would definitely beat having to lay it out manually.

  6. #16
    SFM Nugget
    Join Date
    Jul 11
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleytinger View Post
    The one thing I hate about this corridor, and this isn't a knock on your design as you're just basing off what we got on ship, is that all the lighting comes from the floor and lighting the actual people walking around in it sucks. It's the same problem they had with the bridge set, not nearly enough lighting.

    For walking around though in VR, this works great, as a practical film set for rendering or shooting real people, it sucks.

    Glad you found a sort of 'easy' button for the corridors. Would definitely beat having to lay it out manually.
    Hmm, that's something I hadn't considered actually. Circular ceiling lights were added in a few places in Wrath of Khan, but they're fairly dim so I doubt they'd help much with character lighting.

    I'm now working on adding various details to the corridors, which should appear randomly based on a few simple rules. My end goal is to be able to build an entire network of corridors automatically, with all the detailing included.

  7. #17
    SFM Nugget ashleytinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 17
    Location
    Black Swamp, OH
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by DanGovier View Post
    Hmm, that's something I hadn't considered actually. Circular ceiling lights were added in a few places in Wrath of Khan, but they're fairly dim so I doubt they'd help much with character lighting.

    I'm now working on adding various details to the corridors, which should appear randomly based on a few simple rules. My end goal is to be able to build an entire network of corridors automatically, with all the detailing included.

    Very cool!

    Yeah I think that's actually part of the reason they gutted the corridors for the TNG sets so they could add some proper lighting and make it look roomier all at the same time.

  8. #18
    SFM Nugget
    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Age
    33
    Posts
    26
    Will you be following Mr Scotty's Guide in having certain decks in certain colour schemes? In TMP we saw the orange/brown coloured corridors, but other decks were supposedly in red, white, silver, yellow etc.

    And does your baked lighting take into account the Red Alert mode?

  9. #19
    SFM Obsessed Rekkert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,511
    Those details are looking good!
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

  10. #20
    SFM Nugget
    Join Date
    Jul 11
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mdta View Post
    Will you be following Mr Scotty's Guide in having certain decks in certain colour schemes? In TMP we saw the orange/brown coloured corridors, but other decks were supposedly in red, white, silver, yellow etc.

    And does your baked lighting take into account the Red Alert mode?
    I've debated the corridor colours at length, and I think honestly I just don't like the orange wall coverings, and I'm not a fan of the blue corridor outside of engineering either. As far as memory serves, I believe all of the coloured corridors were dropped for generic silver in TWOK onward anyway, so that's really the style I'm going for.

    Unreal can switch between multiple baked lighting scenarios on the fly, so I'm going to have a normal bake and a red alert bake that kicks in when red alert is called. I've actually already added the red alert corridor lights;
    https://youtu.be/CEYSuM7phvM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •