Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise Refit VR Exploration Project

SFM Nugget

Enterprise Refit VR Exploration Project

Hi guys, I've not posted here before for some reason, so I figured it was about time I did!

For the past few months I've been working on recreating the Enterprise Refit (Wrath of Khan) as a VR exploration project in Unreal Engine. I didn't want this to be just a collection of rooms and corridors though, I wanted this to be a 'real' starship, built from the steelwork up with every bolt, pipe and conduit included as much as possible.

The end goal is to be able to explore the Enterprise Refit both inside and out, and to be able to hide the outer hull dynamically in order to see all the machinery and other hardware underneath.

So far I'm about 50% done with the beams/girders, I just need to add the nacelles and finish off the horizontal bracing on the saucer and engineering hull;

Here's a close up of the girders themselves, with some visible componentry;

I haven't done a huge amount of work on the internal rooms yet, but here's a few shots of the progress so far;

A Deck

B Deck

C Deck

E & F Decks

Officer's Lounge;

I've also been making a few youtube videos to record my progress

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...e0LLOHIQBVTFON

If any of you happen to have an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, you can try it out yourselves here:
    http://danielgovier.co.uk/enterprise...tion_Test2.rar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	naked_enterprise.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	115342  

As I've said before elsewhere, I'm really impressed with your stuff mate, and nice to see you posting it here!
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

Wow, thats a very nice work

Awesome stuff... great work!

I've been following you on trekbbs, but I like this forum better and I hope you will post updates here as well. Amazing job on the model.

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekkert View Post
    As I've said before elsewhere, I'm really impressed with your stuff mate, and nice to see you posting it here!
    I'm actually stalking you all over the internet

Ooh, ooh, ooh. I love it! Definitely following this build. Outstanding work so far!
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

SFM Guru
    Ahh, I've seen this over at TrekBBS I believe. Great to see you here. Always love watching these kind of builds.

SFM Nugget
    According to Star Trek Discovery, their new Enterprise is scaled up roughly 66%. 289m to 480m.

If you were to scale up the Refit Enterprise, would that eliminate the issues you have encountered regarding Window placements, set blueprints, etc? Or does that not work when trying to line them up?

Doug Drexler designed an MSD of the TOS Enterprise for "In A Mirror Darkly", he scaled it up to 433m to match the sets to the deck plans (even then it was a bit of a squeeze)

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by mdta View Post
    According to Star Trek Discovery, their new Enterprise is scaled up roughly 66%. 289m to 480m.

If you were to scale up the Refit Enterprise, would that eliminate the issues you have encountered regarding Window placements, set blueprints, etc? Or does that not work when trying to line them up?

Doug Drexler designed an MSD of the TOS Enterprise for "In A Mirror Darkly", he scaled it up to 433m to match the sets to the deck plans (even then it was a bit of a squeeze)
    That's an interesting dilemma, because as much as it would be nice to scale the ship up to fit in certain large sets like the Rec Deck and the stupid blue Engineering corridor, it would also screw up some other things. For example, right now I have two 8' decks fitting very nicely around the perimeter of the saucer. If I were to scale the ship up, suddenly I'm left with either really tall decks or a lot of empty space. The other issue is the airlocks, which would be far too large on a scaled up ship.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast