Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enterprise Refit VR Exploration Project

SFM Nugget
    I thought the red lighting may be reflected in the walls opposite. Not sure if that's the baked lighting, or non real-time reflections there. But the Red Alert bake will probably fix that.

In Star Trek 3, the lights seemed to run along the corridor, rather than all blinking in unison. Adding a delay to the corridor segments would probably be difficult, especially if the baked lighting changes for those segments only.

Another big difference between TWOK and TSFS was warmer lighting in ST2, but cooler/neutral lighting in ST3.

Oh and yea I made some corridor segments for a Minecraft server, and did the different shades with a fabric texture. I agree, its a bit of a silly idea with that design at least. Not that there is something wrong with designating corridors with some kind of signage or coloured lines on the ground etc, like you see in hospitals and other functional buildings.

Last edited by mdta; 21st Jul 2018 at 06:14.

SFM Nugget
    Out of curiosity, what did you use as a guide for your beam/girder placement and count?

SFM Nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by prisoner881 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what did you use as a guide for your beam/girder placement and count?
    I've actually been looking at a lot of pictures of submarines and other naval vessels being constructed or dismantled. If you type something like "dismantled submarine" into google images you'll see what I mean.

What I'm doing is looking at modern construction methods, and then thinking what that would look like in ~200 years time with better materials. The fundamentals of ship construction have barely changed in the past 100 years, so I'm sure it wouldn't look that much different in another 200 either. What's different in Star Trek is that you have the addition of the structural integrity field, and I'm sure there's some dialogue in TNG that states the Enterprise would buckle and pancake itself under even small amounts of acceleration without it.

There are very few canon sources that show the internal structure of the Enterprise, so I'm largely making it up as I go along, and then updating and changing things as needed. For example, every time I add a large component (like the phaser turrets on the saucer) I will need to update and change the beams/girders around it to make it as logical as possible.

I think the only time you ever see actual girders on screen is here, and I'm going to try and match this as much as possible:

SFM Nugget
    As well as construction methods, there is also construction materials to consider. Tritanium Alloys. Duranium. Whatever-else-ium. Which would presumably allow thinner/fewer beams, and other frameworks, compared to present day naval construction.

So plenty of leeway where visual canon does not appear.

Threw this together because I actually like the colored panels.

Well I'm on the fence about the yellow panels... but I like the others.

Not my project though and they definitely abandoned the colored panels after the Motion Picture and onwards.
    Last edited by ashleytinger; Yesterday at 20:57.

Absolutely. Red and brown look awesome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123