Thread: New Dreadnought Design

New Dreadnought Design

I am designing and building a new ship that plays a big role in my second book.
    I was told that my first design of this ship looked a little too Star Destroyerish so I redesigned it.
    Just like with my Battle Carrier design from my first book this Dreadnought looks a lot like it's ocean going relative.
    I'm currently finalizing the main hull and block designing the upper superstructure.
    Once I get the superstructure finished I will add more big gun turrets all over it as well as a bunch of smaller ones.
    This thing is literally going to be a floating weapons platform.
    My Battle Carrier is big at 8127 feet long by 3440 feet wide by 1560 feet high, this Dreadnought is 1 1/2 times that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new dreadnought 01.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	115491

Name:	new dreadnought 02.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	115492

Name:	new dreadnought 03.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	115493

Name:	new dreadnought 04.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	115494
    Building Models In 3D Studio MAX Since 1996 And Still Learning!

All New - Check out Book #1 in the Tactical Advantage Series - Alien Genocide at seanpatrickposey.com

Oh, that's a cool design!
    All I want is a tall ship and a star to steer her by...

Reminds me to the Executor from Star Wars a great deal. Though it's far taller, but the general arrow-shape is still a strong indication....
    See the Shadows of Darkness, Hear the Scream of Cruelty...

That's why I've became a Warrior of Heart, Defend the one you like, Guard the one you love...

While it is a definite improvement over the last rendition, from what I remember of it, the bridge still gives it too much of an ISD/SSD vibe, especially with the triangular hull. As for the overall design, it isn't bad, but why cluster your big guns so much? One well placed torpedo or beam shot, and blamo!!! You would be better off to disperse the big guns around with defensive emplacements clustered nearby and more defense around the vulnerable areas, like your bridge tower and exposed reactor domes. Also, I get that you are going for a nautical vibe, but why? Does this ship need to land in water on a planet, or will it spend its whole life in space? If the later then ditch the nautical vibe, if the former, keep the boat hull, but make sure to add some weapon's blisters down there that conceal/protect your ordnance when making atmo drop.
    The original Totally Insane AUTOCAD Modeler
    Creator of the Spiral War Universe and the unofficial SFM Crew Calculator.
    Now Available on Kindle Via Noble Storm Books
    Spiral War: On Dagger's Wings
    Spiral War: In Death's Shadow
    Sprial War: Rising Warrior/Rising Threat
    Spiral War: Armageddon's Pal
    Pick up your copies and join the adventure.