Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JR WIP Thread

Wings finished. I'm not sure this is totally Star Trek, but I'm pleased with the way the action of the wings turned out. On to the landing gear . . .

Dannage - It's my goal to turn this into some kind of official Trek product. I don't think I can do a lot of animation with the equipment I've got, but I can do a comic. No one reads comics anymore, but who knows, maybe this will be different . . . Maybe you guys will like my ships so much Eaglemoss will have no choice but to pick them up, and I can bundle a comic with the ships . . . So it's good if I'm not the only one who likes the designs.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the warp engines yet. If this is a TOS era ship, they'll stay about as they are now, but I'm wondering if this is the successor to the B'rel instead of the predecessor?

Could start out as the predecessor, and a refit could be the successor.
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

This is going to be a little complicated. For some reason I'm getting strange effects when animating parts that are parented to other parts. Really not much fun to work with.

bosun - who knows . . . I've got to figure out what I need storywise, but I may be stuck on this landing gear for a while.

I'm happy with the feather pattern, and the gear down configuration looks good from some angles, if it's lit right, but it's also kind of crap. It needs a Michael Bay Transformers level of transformation to be really good in the down position. I could do it, but it's not the art I need the most to get where I want to go. I'll probably never need it at all, I just want to show you, the viewer, that I've put some thought into how this design works. Not enough to call the design finished, but at the end of the day how many times did you see the B'rel in its landing configuration, or Voyager? Only once or twice each. So I think I'll move on to the foot and then try to finish the modelling on this one.

Well, it doesn't need to be Trek to have a comic.

Looking at that penultimate picture, try it with a blue colour scheme instead of the white. Then look at your blue and red ship and consider a ship from my childhood which I believe was called the Pheonix... From Battle of The Planets.

You could totally kill a reboot of that with this design!
    Looking for (non commercial) Group: The UNITI Project - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7LAQ09u51M0APK

Quote Originally Posted by JRXTIN View Post
    I'm happy with the feather pattern, and the gear down configuration looks good from some angles, if it's lit right, but it's also kind of crap. It needs a Michael Bay Transformers level of transformation to be really good in the down position. I could do it, but it's not the art I need the most to get where I want to go. I'll probably never need it at all, I just want to show you, the viewer, that I've put some thought into how this design works. Not enough to call the design finished, but at the end of the day how many times did you see the B'rel in its landing configuration, or Voyager? Only once or twice each. So I think I'll move on to the foot and then try to finish the modelling on this one.
    She´s looking very good for my eyes.
    Go ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Dannage View Post
    Well, it doesn't need to be Trek to have a comic.

Looking at that penultimate picture, try it with a blue colour scheme instead of the white. Then look at your blue and red ship and consider a ship from my childhood which I believe was called the Pheonix... From Battle of The Planets.

You could totally kill a reboot of that with this design!
    I'm guessing Battle of the Planets doesn't have the same fanbase that Star Trek does. Who owns the rights to it? The advantage to Star Trek was that CBS used to be friendly to fan projects (maybe not so much anymore), the fanbase is like no other, and I know the lore reasonably well. I could learn the lore for Battle of the Planets, but I don't know if there's a big enough fan base to support a BoP comic or if I could get the license. I could draw the art style though, or get really close. I really doubt I could fund it though, I've thrown hundreds of free pages out there to little avail and will not be taking the "give it away and pray" route anymore.

I put the wing pattern on the inner legs in, but I'm having doubts about continuing with this. The parties responsible for Star Trek appear to be in such a state of chaos, I doubt it would be possible to work with them. I was hoping to come to a licensing arrangement that would allow me to raise funds for an official product, but I don't think that's possible now.

Yeah, They don't feel like a crew ready to bring smaller talents into the fold. Have you tried approaching some of the publishers who already do Trek comics? Maybe you could find some sort of sub-contracting deal?

I spent 2018 trying to get people to do stuff for me for free, now I can't even find people who want 'small amounts of cash', looks like everyone wants the big paychecks, but I guess they gotta make a living!

I still encourage you to get this ship to somewhere you'd consider it done. If they won't get you a comic, maye you could at least get into a Ships of the Line calendar or something? This model is far too pretty to abandon!
    Looking for (non commercial) Group: The UNITI Project - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7LAQ09u51M0APK

Quote Originally Posted by Dannage View Post
    ... This model is far too pretty to abandon!
    Totally right! Dannage, how you doing old beam?

Please, go ahed JRXTIN!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123