Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek: Entomalians - "A New Beginning"

- CONTINUED -

U.S.S. FRONTIER – SOVEREIGN-CLASS

The ship sailed into orbit of the small Class-M planet, the system's G-Type star shining bright in the distance.

ALIEN PLANET SURFACE

The midday sun shone bright over the mountain plateau, covered with green grass as the form of the crashed Vralex ship sat in the center of the plateau, a long dark gash of scored ground behind it, where the bottom half of the ship had dug into the ground when it crashed.

Approximately six dozen feet away, a large group of figures began to materialize, shimmering curtains of silvery light announcing their arrival as the Frontier's away team materialized on the plateau, carrying phaser rifles.

Instinctively, the security members of the away team all raised their rifles, sweeping in all directions to look out for any Vralex that might be waiting to ambush them, while Commander Jor and two of the science team members whipped out their tricorders, taking sensor sweeps of the area.

From the surface of the plateau, the crashed Vralex ship towered over the away team like the Empire State Building, leaning dramatically to the right from the crash-landing.

“Sir, I'm not showing any life signs on the tricorder, but for all we know, they could still be in the ship, and the hull could have some form of sensor-inhibiting properties.” one of the science team relayed.

“Sir, the area seems secure, visually – do you want to proceed towards the vessel?” one of the security men asked.

“Can anyone isolate the Reticulan probe on scanners?” Jor asked, looking to the science team members, who shook their heads in a negative response. “Very well... let's proceed towards that pod bay – maybe we can open or breach that door.” he added, leading the away team cautiously forward.

As the away team moved forward towards the Vralex ship's aft side, a form began to gradually shimmer into visibility behind them, in a crouching position. As the figure became visible – a Vralex soldier in full heavy body armor, and his massive disruptor rifle already in aim at the away team, the tricorders on the away team came to life, beeping in warning, as Jor and the rest of the team turned to face their new visitor, just as two other Vralex soldiers also de-cloaked on either side of the first, their disruptor rifles also already in perfect aim at the away team.

“SIR!” one of the security men called out, aiming his phaser rifle, and preparing to open fire.

However, the Vralex were much quicker, and in literally the blink of an eye, the nature of the Frontier's newest threat made itself known to the away team, as before the security man could pull his rifle's trigger, the Vralex soldier fired his weapon, unleashing an energy beam with such lethal force that the Federation had truly never witnessed an energy weapon so completely brutal...

The Vralex rifle's energy beam was multi-faceted... the primary central beam was a single and unbroken beam of brilliant lavender energy. That central beam was surrounded by a secondary enveloping beam of energy that was a corkscrew tendril of lavender energy, which not only had a 'serrated' look to it, like some sort of energy-based barbed-wire, but that also rotated around the central focused beam.

The Vralex's beam instantly struck the security officer, the sheer force of the impact with his body knocking his own rifle from his hand while the entirety of his body was physically lifted up off the ground, the Vralex beam keeping his body held up in midair over a dozen feet above the ground, all the while the serrated corkscrew part of the Vralex energy beam physically drilling into the man's chest, literally ripping his body apart in midair, until the Vralex soldier pulled back more on the trigger, releasing the energy beam, and throwing the now-dead man's body backward into the air another dozen feet, until his body came crashing to the ground, a sickening mass of ripped-apart flesh, bones, and innards.

As sickened as the away team was at the sight, instantly Commander Jor drew his own rifle, as the entire away team now began to return fire, while Jor struggled to find a moment to activate his communicator.

“Jor to Frontier, we're under heavy fire here! Get us out of here, now!” he called, as a bolt from his own phaser rifle slammed into the center Vralex's body, throwing the Vralex back a good dozen feet.

The away team began to fall back, forming a circle around their fallen comrade's body, as the Frontier's transporter beam enveloped them all, vanishing them from sight in a shower of silver light, while the Vralex soldiers made their way back toward their crashed vessel.

The ship sped through space at high warp, having abandoned the pursuit of the old Reticulan probe. By now, it was obvious that the cost of extracting what minute bits of information they possibly could was way too high, and the ship was moving on with its original mission now.

SICKBAY

The look on Captain Nikolayev's face was one of utter rage, as Doctor Rayza pulled back the white sheet covering the body of the dead security man for him to inspect. He had never seen any energy weapon do this to a body – ever. Not even anything he'd seen the Jem'Hadar use could have done so much physical damage to a body. He motioned with his hand for Rayza to once again cover the body.

His emotional state was a mix of rage and regret – rage that the Vralex had done this to one of his crew. Sadness that he had just been witness to his crew's first casualty in the Andromeda Galaxy – sadness that he had indirectly caused that death, by wanting to pursue the retrieval of the Reticulan probe. He wanted to know who the hell these Vralex were, and what they wanted that made them so violent – at least what made their weaponry so brutal.

“Sir... are we going back to Gendalon?” Rayza softly asked.

“No.” Nikolayev began, not facing her. “I want to put as much distance between us and this region of space as possible.” he added, facing her. “What's next on the map?” he asked her, as she looked into his eyes.

In space, the mighty Frontier shot through space at maximum warp, the stars streaking by the ship.

“Captain's Log – what a fool I've been... I wanted to pursue the data contained within the old Reticulan probe we found orbiting Gendalon Major, but it was a pursuit that would come at too high a price, at least for me. The Vralex – the first alien species we've encountered in Andromeda, have attacked my ship and my people, killing one of them, in a shockingly brutal fashion. I've decided to abandon any study of Gendalon Major, and instead have set course for a region of space that the Reticulan database refers to as the Loxxon Reach – apparently there are several Class-M planets in that area that may be worthy of study.”

READY-ROOM

Nikolayev was trying desperately to somehow find some relaxation in his Ready-Room bunk, but to no avail. Sighing in frustration, he got up, walking to the wall replicator.

“Cola.” he ordered, the replicator buzzing as the cold, dark beverage materialized on the small replication pad.

He took the drink, sipping while he made his way to his desk, sitting down in his chair and activating the desktop computer, reviewing the stellar charts for the Loxxon Reach as he drank his cola. As usual, the door to his Ready-Room was wide open. He glanced in the direction of the front of the Bridge, part of the main viewscreen visible through his door, the image of the warping stars filling the screen, as a call came in from the Bridge over the intercom.

“Bridge to Nikolayev.” the man's voice announced.

“Go ahead.” he replied, tapping his communicator.

“Sir, we'll be entering the Loxxon Reach in approximately one hour.”

“Understood, thank you.” Nikolayev replied, again tapping his communicator.

- TO BE CONTINUED -

- CONTINUED -

THE LOXXON REACH

The mighty U.S.S. FRONTIER came streaking out of high warp, slowing to full impulse in a glide path towards a cluster of closely-spaced small rocky planets – closely spaced in astronomical terms, that is.

The Frontier's lower forward torpedo launcher came to life, spitting out three projectiles that each went hurtling towards the cluster of planets, each one breaking formation after a few moments, and going in their own separate directions. They were Class-III science probes, launched to conduct sensor sweeps of the nearby planets.

MAIN BRIDGE

The Bridge crew looked to the main viewscreen, which was displaying the image of the distant probes vanishing from view as they neared their planetary targets.

“Sir, probes are transmitting perfectly – taking up position in synchronous orbit around each of the three planets.” Lezar reported from Tactical.

“Let's see it.” Commander Jor ordered, as the image on the main viewscreen switched to a live false-color sensor telemetry feed from the lead probe, complete with LCARS callouts with a live data feed.

“That's the feed from the lead probe, orbiting the closest of the three planets.” Lezar reported, working his console.

Nikolayev and Jor took in the data feed from the probe, looking at the information on the screen with fascination.

“Definitely not Class-M – no atmosphere or any life to speak of, but plenty of deep canyons and caverns. Could be a good candidate for shipyard or fabrication facility.” Nikolayev softly offered aloud.

Jor nodded in silent agreement as the OPS Officer reacted to some beeps from her panel.

“Sir, picking up a surge in subspace – something's coming out of warp.” she reported.

In space, the Frontier drifted along at impulse, just as a warp flash signaled the arrival of a massive construct, which came streaking out of warp, instantly snapping into still form as it came to a mere low-impulse drift, a few hundred kilometers away from the Frontier, dwarfing it with its size.

The alien construct was obviously mobile, but if it was a ship, it was one of the largest the Federation had ever seen – it was more like a small starbase, a mobile vehicle larger than a full Regula-Class station. In some ways, it resembled a Federation starbase, in the most basic general form – it had a primary top section that was like a mushroom, and the stalk/shaft section below the mushroom top section was quite long, coming to a rounded end. Trailing the aft end of the stalk/shaft section, were three “tail/tendril” appendages, placed evenly at points midway between the middle and end of the stalk/shaft. Finally, unlike a Federation starbase, this construct was oriented horizontally. Along the perimeter edge of the mushroom front/top section, were a series of evenly-spaced docking arms, many of which were occupied by a variety of small alien ships of differing design. The entire ship/station was a deep and dark red color, with areas of silver and silver striping.

MAIN BRIDGE

All eyes were glued to the viewscreen with curiosity as the massive alien ship/station drifted by the Frontier, seemingly oblivious to its presence, the aft end of the construct now coming into view, the entire aft ring of the mushroom section glowing with brilliant blue light – obviously the aft end of the mushroom section was one giant warp nacelle. Apparently these aliens didn't consider Frontier a threat.

“Mister Lezar... open a hailing frequency.” Nikolayev instructed, not taking his eyes off the sight on the screen.

“Aye, Sir... channel open.” Lezar replied, the sound of the frequency opening being heard.

Nikolayev stepped forward towards the screen as he adjusted his shirt, taking a quick gulp.

“This is Captain Yuri Nikolayev of the starship U.S.S. Frontier, representing the United Federation of Planets, to alien... vessel... or station. We are on a peaceful mission of exploration, and wish contact. Could you please identify yourselves?” he stated, waiting now for the the computers on both his ship and the alien construct to run the messages through the translation matrix, and hopefully come up with a match for a response.

“Please let them not be hostile.” Jor whispered, just loud enough for Nikolayev to hear, sharing a look with Jor.

After a agonizingly long few minutes, Lezar reacted to some beeps on his panel.

“We're getting a response, Sir. It's audio only, but... it appears to be a... a recorded message, Sir.” he offered, as Nikolayev looked to him with curiosity.

“Well... let's hear it, Mister Lezar.”

“Aye, Sir.” Lezar replied, piping the recorded message through the speakers.

“WELCOME – to Gourant's Traveling Rest Stop! Got a hungry crew? Need a part for your ship? Have a thirst that needs quenching? Or is it simple rest and relaxation you crave? Whatever your desire, search no more, and park your ship at one of our convenient docking ports, and enjoy the amenities of Gourant's Traveling Rest Stop! Best food in the Loxxon Reach, known as far away as the Tinziki Sector!” the message stated, cutting off suddenly.

Nikolayev, Jor and the rest of the Bridge crew took in the lighthearted and enthusiastic message, Jor turning to the Captain.

“Did we just get an invite on board that thing?” he asked.

“I'm gonna assume we did, Commander.” Nikolayev replied, placing a hand on Jor's shoulder. “Let's not keep this 'Gourant' waiting.”

GOURANT'S TREVELING REST STOP

The massive mobile station sailed through space, the Frontier alongside it, dwarfed by the alien structure.

CENTRAL HUB

The area was quite large – obviously a place of mixed-use facilities – numerous alien food outlets, shops, as well as numerous individual aliens selling wares along the main thoroughfare walkways. The entire area was bustling with activity – aliens of every shape and size walking and rushing about, all talking, the air a jumble of unknown alien languages, the smokes and steams from the various alien foods being cooked filling the area.

Once there was an opening in the bustling activity, a series of four shimmering curtains of light appeared, the Frontier away team materializing. Only a handful of aliens even bothered to glance in their direction, the locals obviously used to newcomers dropping in at any time.

Jor already had his tricorder out, looking to Nikolayev.

“I can't even begin to count the number of alien species on board this thing, Sir.” he stated, looking back at his tricorder's readings.

Nikolayev looked around, focusing on the food establishments in front of them. After a moment, he noticed one alien in particular behind one of the counters motioning to him – obviously indicating for him and the away team to approach.

“I think that fellow wants to meet us.” Nikolayev indicated, nodding in the direction of the alien as Jor and the security men followed him to the alien's establishment.

The away team arrived at the alien's counter, just as the alien grabbed a series of beverage glasses, one glass in each of its four hands, as it wiped each glass with a towel with each hand. The alien's form was generally humanoid, but the being was a bit short and squat, and aside from having four arms and hands, had a basically humanoid face. However, the top of the alien's head was a large skin-covered bony crest, somewhat like that of a ceratopsian dinosaur, only with no horns or spikes. The alien's skin, body, face and crest, was blue in color, with medium to large blotches of black.

“You look like you're new here.” the alien said.

“We are.” Nikolayev replied. “And you look like you've had time to scan our linguistics database.”

The alien set the glasses down behind the counter, smiling.

“Guilty as charged.” it began. “I”m Gourant. Pleased to meet you.” he added, extending his two right hands for both Nikolayev and Jor to shake, and then the security men after.

“You're Gourant? I thought you own this place? What are you doing behind a bar?” Jor asked.

“I do own this facility. But I get bored just doing administrative things – I like to mingle with my visitors, meet new people and cultures. I like to talk to people and learn about them – why they're here, where they've been, who they are... all that stuff.” he offered.

“Forgive me... Sir... but may I ask – what species are you?” Jor asked.

“I'm a Trophilyte.” Gourant replied. “And you are...?”

“I'm Human.” Nikolayev interjected. “This is Commander Jor, my First Officer, who is Bajoran.”

“Ah, yes... you said you're from the Federation of something-something. Never heard of it.” Gourant stated.

“Yeah... I wouldn't imagine you have.” Nikolayev began. “We're from your neighbor galaxy – the Milky Way.”

“Fancy.” Gourant replied. “Well, you and your people are free to enjoy the hospitality of my facility. I don't know where you're going, but our course will take us through the Loxxon Reach to the outer fringe of the Zarnex Nebula. So... what can I get you to eat or drink?” he asked.

- TO BE CONTINUED -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12